Windows. Radiators. Little economies.

(6 Posts)
HostofDaffodils Sat 19-Nov-16 14:41:23

My husband will occasionally talk to me about the need not to waste energy and money. He'll snap off the kettle as soon as it boils. Switch lights off so the corridor and landing are dark. That sort of thing.

We both have expreience of being hard up and I'm quite frugal by nature - but will say to him on these occasions that I think he goes a bit far. But he'll say righteously 'It's a waste'. This is more sort of low level bickering which neither of us minds.

However because of sleeping problems we'll often end up with him going into a different bedrooms. On several occasions in the past I've bought him an early cup of tea and noticed he's had the radiator on, but the window open and each time I've said. 'You forgot to turn the radiator off when you went in last night'

This morning it happened again - radiator blasting heat out and icy cold air coming in at the window - and I said, 'I keep reminding you.'

It emerged that although we rodo this radiator off, window open routine in our joint bedroom every single night, he somehow hadn't worked out - despite my earlier promptings - that he should do this in the back bedroom he retreats to.

Would you be annoyed?

Manumission Sat 19-Nov-16 14:45:08

Yes the hypocrisy would bug me, considering the extent of his penny pinching.

pklme Sat 19-Nov-16 16:08:28

Yes, but it's a new routine for him which for some people can take a while to instate. Can you remind him before bedtime? Our CH just goes off at bedtime, so no one needs to remember

pipsqueak25 Sat 19-Nov-16 16:10:49

if he likes fresh air that much, perhaps he could sleep in the shed ! yanbu this would really irritate me

Trifleorbust Sat 19-Nov-16 16:22:58

I often have windows open upstairs and heating on downstairs. I like the house to be warm but I also know we need to ventilate it and have fresh air. Different if he is constantly lecturing you though.

billyzanescal Sat 19-Nov-16 17:27:38

Poor guys just trying to save a few pence. No one is perfect and everyone forgets sometimes. I'd say cut him some slack and be grateful he isn't pissing away money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now