To move out of my own home and into a houseshare?

(12 Posts)
Onthefence12 Fri 18-Nov-16 11:59:46

I've been so sure about this decision and now it's come to moving day I'm panicking!

Basically I bought my home early this year after a bad break up. I was never really settled in this small city as employment opps aren't great, I don't know many people. However I wanted to get back on my feet.

A month ago I was offered a new job in a city I love (where I went to university). I am letting my house and have a tenant moving in.

However property in this city is crazy expensive and I can't afford to rent alone let alone buy. So, I'm moving into a share. This will allow me to save around £500per month and in a year I can sell my home and buy in new city (more deposit to put down).

The other housemates seem nice and I am taking all my furniture etc to make the room homely but I am freaking out...

Please reassure me I'm doing the right thing?

JellyBelli Fri 18-Nov-16 12:02:16

Of course you are doing the right thing! You arent losing anything, you can tell yourself its a temporary trial and if it doesnt work out you can move back.
Good luck with your new job. And remember, when you house share, you increase your chances of meeting new people. So theres a good chance you'll make some new friends.

Rainydayspending Fri 18-Nov-16 12:02:17

It sounds necessary if you want that lifestyle. Lots of people do it.

strongandlong Fri 18-Nov-16 12:02:53

You are doing the right thing!

Good luck with the new job/new city. flowers

ClopySow Fri 18-Nov-16 12:04:06

It's a means to an end. Do it!

Onthefence12 Fri 18-Nov-16 12:29:19

Thanks everyone, I've had a week off work to think about it which I'm not sure was a good idea as I've spent most of it sobbing!

BitOutOfPractice Fri 18-Nov-16 12:40:17

Oh op it sounds like a really sensible, long term life plan kind of thing to do. You sound very switched on!

I bet you'll have great fun in the flat share. Or else stories to entertain the new friends you'll make in the new city.

Good luck in your new job and exciting new adventure flowers

YelloDraw Fri 18-Nov-16 12:41:26

It will be fun - good way to meet new people in new city.

Biking007 Fri 18-Nov-16 12:45:00

Great idea made easier by knowing your doing it for a reason with an end date. I bought my first flat somewhere I wanted to live but had to live elsewhere in a house share in tiny room to save cash for a year due to job. It wasn't always easy but knowing I had an end date made it doable and I tried to go out a lot in evenings activities to distract myself. Weekends were harder so I planned visits to family and friends.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 18-Nov-16 12:50:13

Its a sensible way to do it. Also when you are ready to buy - sell yours first and then you will be chain free and a very attractive buyer to a seller!

Onthefence12 Fri 18-Nov-16 13:53:04

Thank you so much for all the replies!

Its difficult because I have lots and lots of very happy memories in the flat and have loved living here with my own space BUT my heart has always been in the other city and long term I just don't have any prospects where I currently live.

I also just broke up with a guy I really liked this week as he/we can't see it working after the move so I'm feeling a bit delicate from that - everything seems to remind me of him or a good time that I had here!

If I could pick up my home and move it, I would be incredibly happy!

WLF46 Fri 18-Nov-16 14:08:08

Yes, you're doing the right thing. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now