Aibu to just give up and go to Iceland

(13 Posts)
Thefishewife Thu 17-Nov-16 22:44:45

I have 3 children and am really stuggling at the moment trying to cook dinner while the younger tow fight scream or generally do naughty things is really getting me down

Also the older one 16 dosent want dinner last minute or decides he wants dinner after I already started cooking

I have a slow cooker witch helps but can't do every meal today I ruined another dinner duck burnt while I was sorting dd2 who decided to get naked take of pooey nappy

I am tried depressed and feel unsuported by dh who thinks I should be able to just cope because his mum did it with 4 children I have no family support at all his mum had both sets of parents and a bloody house keeper

I done told them all its frozen dinners form know on

Eveytime I try to cook or make a fecking phone call they play up

VestalVirgin Thu 17-Nov-16 22:50:49

The one who is 16 can make his own fucking dinner.

Pack your suitcase and emigrate to Iceland. Or just stay for a holiday. They have very nice family politics.
Your husband can cope with three children for a while. He will see how easy it is (not) when he has to do it.

Thefishewife Thu 17-Nov-16 22:52:51

I I don't mean the country I mean the cheap food shop and give them all frozen dinners can't be arsed making dinners form scratch

BackforGood Thu 17-Nov-16 23:02:39

How old are the dc?

There's usually a middle line.
Don't need to lovingly make wonderful creations from scratch every day, but nor would it be great to feed them frozen ready meals every day.

You could batch cook some meals to freeze for when you are having a busier day, or someone's plans change last minute.

Ahickiefromkinickie Thu 17-Nov-16 23:07:54

What hours does your DH work? Is it very physically tiring? Does he help on weekends?

DS16 should help with chores like dishes, vacuuming, tidying up. If he refuses, take away privileges like Wifi, iPad etc. How old is DD1?

I would cook one-pot or one-tray dishes that could be had as leftovers the next day. If DS changes his mind, he should help himself to dinner. No harm in frozen food sometimes!

VestalVirgin Thu 17-Nov-16 23:28:24

I I don't mean the country I mean the cheap food shop and give them all frozen dinners can't be arsed making dinners form scratch

I know, but I still think a nice holiday would do you good, and also help your husband appreciate your work more. wink

stayathomegardener Thu 17-Nov-16 23:30:49

I also thought you meant Iceland the country.

GettingScaredNow Thu 17-Nov-16 23:33:13

Your problem isn't cooking.

It's cooking without distraction and it being a chore.

She should pull his weight. I sense a lot of pressure on you, his comment about just coping cos his mum did sounds like my exh... and he's a dick.

Ds16 can sort his own dinner. And help out with younger ones.

I am lone parent to 4&2 yr old. I cook from scratch most days. But I also shop at Iceland and have reserves of emergency freezer food. Comforting to know it's there if I need it.

Dd gets school lunch so I don't cook dinner everyday.

abbsisspartacus Fri 18-Nov-16 00:25:08

Single parent to three here yanbu I've a 16 year old if there is fuss during cooking times she either deals with the food or her brothers

And I keep beans on toast/chip and fish fingers on standby

I think your expecting your oh to help? Don't bother its better if you assume your on your own

StrawberryLime Fri 18-Nov-16 00:36:20

flowers It's crap when you feel like your whole cooking and general "skivvying" goes unappreciated, isn't it?
I sympathise as I feel the same most days!
There's absolutely nothing shameful in getting some frozen stuff in from places like Iceland as mentioned, it keeps you sane and them fed. smile
Get some frozen veg in like peas, sweetcorn etc, some plain frozen chicken breasts and some tinned potatoes. Give them a few so called "easy" days, they'll still be well fed and you won't feel like you're slaving for hours for ungrateful little sods lol.

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadu Fri 18-Nov-16 07:38:11

Tell the DS to make his own cunting dinner.
i would stop cooking for them altogether. make your own, sit down and eat it and let them forage for themselves. do not clear up after them either.
let them go without a good hot meal for an indefinite number of days and then they'll stop being so selfish and ignorant.

Thatwaslulu Fri 18-Nov-16 07:44:35

I would ask the 16 year old to make dinner so you can concentrate on the little ones. He's old enough to pull his weight.

HairyScaryMonster Fri 18-Nov-16 13:08:13

Yes your 16yo should be less of a hassle but also batch cooking. If you have the money a combi oven/microwave might be useful as you can use it as an oven but it turns itself off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now