House for offenders

(13 Posts)
nimby1 Thu 17-Nov-16 18:25:55

Local gossip (from a reliable person) says the council house next door is being used to house someone awaiting trial. The police have been round for the last 4 days sitting in unmarked cars (subtle). Doesn't this sound like a lot for most types of crimes? Aibu to worry there is a very nasty criminal next door?

expatinscotland Thu 17-Nov-16 18:28:24

I doubt he'd be on remand if he did something very, very bad.

Sparlklesilverglitter Thu 17-Nov-16 18:29:04

You can worry but you don't actually know what this person may or may not of done.
If it was a serious crime surely they would be in a prison waiting trial?

How long have they been living in There? Have you had any trouble from them?

It always sounds like the police are keeping a very good eye

Florene Thu 17-Nov-16 18:29:14

I would surprised if this were true. If an offender needed constant monitoring coming up to a trial then I would have expected them to have been remanded.

More likely to be a victim. Please don't speculate about this with people in real life in case this is the case.

nimby1 Thu 17-Nov-16 18:30:08

Could it be witness protection?

Arfarfanarf Thu 17-Nov-16 18:30:15

Witness protection perhaps.

Arfarfanarf Thu 17-Nov-16 18:30:41

Xpost.
Yes possibly.

iklboo Thu 17-Nov-16 18:33:29

It's more likely witness protection than the defendant. They're usually in custody for a trial aren't they?

nimby1 Thu 17-Nov-16 18:36:32

They have been there 4 days, the same amount of time as the police. No trouble at all as they haven't left the house.

I would never mention this in real life as the chance of me getting it totally wrong and upsetting them or worse isn't one I am happy to take.

BolivarAtasco Thu 17-Nov-16 18:40:13

So just post it on the internet instead?

SimonLeBonOnAndOn Thu 17-Nov-16 18:42:05

It's more likely to protect the victim.
Police wouldn't go to that much trouble for an offender.

nimby1 Thu 17-Nov-16 18:42:31

Yep, with a name change. I thought it was ambiguous enough not to put them/me in danger while satisfying my curiosity. I don't know how the police work with these things, at all.

WLF46 Thu 17-Nov-16 18:57:44

If there are unmarked police cars that are "hardly subtle" it is unlikely the defendant (if that is what they are) is likely to try anything.

It is much more likely the police are protecting a witness or victim before trial - moving them somewhere safe to prevent them being attacked or "persuaded" not to attend court.

I doubt the police would waste their resources holding a dangerous offender in the way you suspect they are - it would be much cheaper and easier for them to be kept on remand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now