To think that jelly counts as liquid intake?

(17 Posts)
00100001 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:07:06

My friends little one is poorly and is refusing to drink, so I suggested thay sje should give her some jelly. Most kids I have dealt with when they're poorly will eat jelly quite happily.
My friend looked at like I was an idiot, and then I explained that it is just liquid that has been set... No, she refused to "believe" me and said I was being daft confused

MrsHathaway Tue 15-Nov-16 19:11:23

I'm with you, Binary.

See also: melon.

Mummyshortlegz Tue 15-Nov-16 19:12:21

Liquid content in food definitely counts.

KermitRuffinsTrumpet Tue 15-Nov-16 19:12:37

That's a cracking idea..I'd have never thought of that. Must remember it. Also ice lollies can help, particularly if they've got a sore throat. We use home made frozen juice ones.

ViewBasket Tue 15-Nov-16 19:15:12

Do the other ingredients such as sugar and gelatine make a difference to how much liquid the body takes in from jelly? A bit like salt water is a liquid but is not helpful to drink.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 15-Nov-16 19:15:36

Jelly does count.

That, ice cream and fruit are often suggested by HCP for getting fluids into poorly children who are refusing to drink.

lowcrabdiet Tue 15-Nov-16 19:16:24

I used to be a member of a sports club and for people who couldn't drink enough water to hydrate before a tournament watermelon and/or jelly was recommended.

My son also used to get terribly dehydrated and would refuse to drink. I swear some weeks it was the jellies that kept him alive!

BenguinsMummy Tue 15-Nov-16 19:16:47

IT definitely counts as a liquid for intake purposes.... My sons dietician tells me to write down jelly as a liquid as when it's swallowed the heat from your body more or less melts it and allows to the body to process it as a liquid iyswim?

mikeyssister Tue 15-Nov-16 19:21:32

Yoghurts also count as fluid according to our local children's A&E

hobnobsaremyfave Tue 15-Nov-16 19:22:55

Patients who are on a fluid restriction are only allowed limited jelly

CMOTDibbler Tue 15-Nov-16 19:26:43

Jelly does count. Ice lollies are great when they are being sick as its a little bit of liquid at a time so less likely to come straight back up

e1y1 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:28:28

I'm with you.

What does she think ice lollies/icecubes are?

ChillieJeanie Tue 15-Nov-16 19:37:36

We couldn't get enough fluids into my Grandad even with frequent reminders to drink - he had dementia so was always forgetting about the cup of tea beside him, and he kept getting UTIs because he was effectively getting dehydrated. The GP recommended jelly as a means of upping his fluids.

abbsismyhero Tue 15-Nov-16 19:43:37

Yup jelly counts as does slush puppies according to a doctor

minisoksmakehardwork Tue 15-Nov-16 19:45:50

Jelly is a liquid. I've a relative who has granules added to her drinks so they can be spoon fed easily as she struggles swallowing just liquid.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Tue 15-Nov-16 19:50:11

It does count, as do yoghurts.

Essexmum69 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:59:01

My Vet assures me cucumber is good for fluid intake as well (we have an elderly guinea pig that gets most of his water from his food!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now