To avoid someone with shingles

(45 Posts)
bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:44:44

Sil has come down with shingles.

Ds hasn't been vaccinated and i would be totally down with him catching it but we're due to travel to the UK smack bang when the spots would come out, there's no way they'd let us fly.

Getting it from sil isn't so much of a worry, what worries me is that her dd is 18 months and hasn't had chicken pox yet so there's a chance she will catch it from her Mum and pass it on to ds.

There's a gender revel party tonight, ds's birthday party this weekend and thanksgiving that we'll all be affected if we stay away from them and will cause a family shit storm.

Aibu to want to keep ds away from them until we leave mid December? I know the chance is slim but we'll lose a shit ton of money on flights and Airbnb's if he gets sick.

Seeline Tue 15-Nov-16 14:46:19

HAs your DS had chicken pox?
You can't catch shingles.

TreehouseTales Tue 15-Nov-16 14:46:41

I didnt think you could catch anything from shingles unless you touch the actual sores. My daughter had it and was told it's fine for her to be out and about as long as she was covered up.

lalalalyra Tue 15-Nov-16 14:47:31

Surely your SIL won't be at a gender reveal party? That means someone is pregnant - surely she won't risk passing chicken pox onto someone pregnant.

And no. Not unreasonable to stay out of their way until she's clear and your niece is by the incubation stage.

dementedpixie Tue 15-Nov-16 14:48:59

As long as the rash is covered then it won't transmit chicken pox as shingles only passes on chicken pox through direct contact with fluid from the blisters. It is not airborne like chickenpox transmission.

dementedpixie Tue 15-Nov-16 14:50:05

People with shingles can still go to school/work as long as the rash can be covered

Rainydayspending Tue 15-Nov-16 14:50:09

Shingles .... doesn't it stay within the body and flare up from time to time? Are you suggesting avoiding this person completely?
As for a gender reveal. YABU, completely not a party anyone needs to attend.

Seeline Tue 15-Nov-16 14:51:06

Treehouse is right. The blisters contain the virus, so as long as they are kept covered, and you follow basic hygiene, you are unlikely to catch CP.

bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:51:10

I know it's not transmittable except by touching the fluid which is why I don't consider sil to be that big a risk. Her 18 month old daughter is the risk in my eyes as she easily could have touched the fluids (still breastfeeding and co sleeping) and be carrying chicken pox for up to 21 days without showing.

bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:51:58

It's more her daughter I'm thinking of avoiding.

dementedpixie Tue 15-Nov-16 14:52:16

Shingles is a reactivation of chicken pox virus that the person had in the past.

bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:52:47

And the gender revel is sil's and we are expected to attend.

Seeline Tue 15-Nov-16 14:53:09

Where is the shingles - is it somewhere that might easily be touchable?

Shadowboy Tue 15-Nov-16 14:53:38

You can't catch shingles from someone else who has shingles. But there is a small chance that a person with a shingles rash can spread the virus to another person who hasn't had chickenpox before- this is my understanding.

bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:54:11

I know what shingles is. I spoke to our doctor about it and they've flipped out and said we need to avoid them forever and wanted to ask what mumsnetters would do as the UK is a little less insane about chicken pox than the States. grin

dementedpixie Tue 15-Nov-16 14:54:48

So when would you be in contact with the daughter? It takes 10-21 days to incubate chicken pox and then they are contagious for 1-2 days before spots come out and until they crust over (5-7days approx)

bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:55:12

They're on her face and arms so there's a good chance her daughter will catch it I think. And she didn't realise it was shingles for a while so wasn't so careful about hygiene as she could have been.

ohgoodlordthatsmoist Tue 15-Nov-16 14:55:35

My oh had shingles when lo was about 11months old, despite him touching it he didn't get cp
Doctors said he would pretty much have to lick the blisters to contract pox
It depends where your sil has the rash.

dementedpixie Tue 15-Nov-16 14:55:45

But the daughter won't be contagious just now if the sil has just got spots

bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:56:30

We'd be in contact today and a few other days before we leave Dec 15th. If ds got it now it wouldn't be so bad but if he gets it in a week or so we'd be fucked.

PaperdollCartoon Tue 15-Nov-16 14:56:57

Your doctor 'flipped out'? How professional.

You can't catch shingles from someone with them. You can't be vaccinated against chicken pox or shingles. Shingles is usually a stress reaction to an old chicken pox virus, my best friend gets a flare up every so often. I wouldn't worry at all.

LIZS Tue 15-Nov-16 14:57:59

Wouldn't your travel insurance cover flights and accommodation if you couldn't go?

dementedpixie Tue 15-Nov-16 14:58:04

There are vaccinations for both chicken pox and shingles btw

bummymummy77 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:58:03

You can be vaccinated against chicken pox. Most people here are.

Seeline Tue 15-Nov-16 14:59:29

Shingles usually follows a single nerve, so it's very unusual to have the rash on face and arms. It's usually very localised. Are they sure it is shingles?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now