Those who've done Lapland ? Was one day ok or should I wait and do 3 ?

(18 Posts)
Pisssssedofff Tue 15-Nov-16 11:58:48

Thank you x
DS is 6 btw

Parsley1234 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:03:21

WE did Lapland when my son was 4 it was the most amazing experience ever the magic was incredible. My sons dad and I were separated but we did it together and even he said it was the best thing ever ! However one day IMO was enough the food is terrible and the weather is freezing. We stayed at the airport night before and we were so tired we stayed the next night as well un booked. It's a long day but it is amazing !!!!

Whiskeywithwater Tue 15-Nov-16 12:05:39

We did a day - was fab! Ideally it would have been nice to have an extra hour - but that's it. 3 days IMO would have been too much, unless you're going to do lots of extra things (Northern Lights, Igloo, Snow safari etc). We booked with Canterbury Travel.

Mamabear14 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:07:26

I took my 2 boys 3 years ago mid December. Yes it was freezing, but we went for 4 nights and it was magical. The reindeer and husky safaris in the dark forests. The food where we went was fine (tea was crap though, take your own bags!) we spent our days sledging and you barely feel how cold you are when you're moving. The last night we had a Christmas dinner and met santa etc. Can highly recommend the snowy wilderness lodge, it's not luxury, and it's the middle of nowhere, but the staff were fab, and the scenery amazing.

winterisnigh Tue 15-Nov-16 12:25:46

how much was it for the day and night? why was the food terrible

mama bear who did you book with

Mamabear14 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:27:17

I went with Thomson. It wasn't cheap, but food and beer and wine were included. Spirits are extortionate so we avoided those for the few days. Nobody wants to be sledging with kids and a hangover anyway smile

Groovee Tue 15-Nov-16 12:40:55

We did a day trip when the kids were 9&7. It was very magical. The flight home was hard with quite a few over tired children. Cost us £1500 for the 4 of us but it was 2009. We went for dh's 40th.

winterisnigh Tue 15-Nov-16 12:46:12

thanks groove.

Pisssssedofff Tue 15-Nov-16 13:09:02

I'm being quoted £1190 for the two of us, a lot but the kid has never seen snow, lived in Australia for his little years and frankly his older sisters screwed up the whole Santa thing for him, he doesn't really believe because if those horrors. Would be nice for him to have some magic

Mamabear14 Tue 15-Nov-16 13:21:35

I think ours was about £1000 each, maybe slightly more time I'd got insurance and added a couple of excursions. I will definitely go back though, once DD is old enough, and back to the same hotel.

Lea060398 Tue 15-Nov-16 13:34:43

We flew from Manchester for the day. This was only for the Santa village though, which is great but very very busy! The day was fun but exhausting and now that DD is older we hope to go back for a few days to do the Northern Lights, etc.

Topseyt Tue 15-Nov-16 13:48:23

Our trip was back in 2004 when the DDs were aged 9, 6 and 2.

I don't recall the exact price now, but it was about £2k for us all for three nights at the Club Saariselka Hotel near Ivalo in the far north. We were booked with First Choice.

It was magical. Loved it. The hotel was nice, there was plenty to see and do (tobogganing, husky sled rides and more). The search for Father Christmas through snowy woods was lovely and captivated the kids.

Some people did go for the day, but personally I was glad we went for the longer break. DH even fitted in some skiing.

Pisssssedofff Tue 15-Nov-16 14:01:58

So would 7 be ok still would you say ? To give me a chance to save up

Mamabear14 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:11:08

Mine were 7 and 9 when we went, they loved it

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Tue 15-Nov-16 14:41:20

We're going in December, have booked 3 days & 2 nights in a lodge with a trip to attempt to see the Northern Lights. Booked with Santas Lapland & has cost just shy of £4.5k for the 4 of us. So, so excited I can't wait!

PenguindreamsofDraco Tue 15-Nov-16 14:43:39

We're going wit Santa's Lapland in Dec too smile

spongebunnyfatpants Tue 15-Nov-16 17:54:01

We went with Inghams and it was amazing. We went got 4 days and too be honest we could have stayed longer. Not sure I would go for a day, too much to do and to tiring for everyone. The log cabin was fab and the food was excellent. Think it all depends on which resort you go to. I would definitely recommend Yllas.

RowenaRavenclawsLostDiaphragm Wed 16-Nov-16 08:21:52

We did the day trip last December with Thomson.

It was pretty good and included everything we needed at a cost of £1100 for the three of us. DS was 9 and we thought it was the last year for him to believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now