To ask you how many single parents you actually know

(139 Posts)
cuibozo Mon 14-Nov-16 17:36:10

And age(s) of their children?

I was thinking today, I don't know any. I know a couple who split from their kids' dad and have a new partner and child(ten) though.

So how common is it?

ghostyslovesheets Mon 14-Nov-16 17:39:25

lots - it's not that rare surely <sells self to zoo>

Soubriquet Mon 14-Nov-16 17:42:10

I know a few

If you look up 'Gingebread' online it is the charity for singke parents in the UK.

They have plenty of stats which set out how common it is.

I'm surprised that you are concerned if ypu don't know any though. Any particular reason?

cuibozo Mon 14-Nov-16 17:42:58

I'm not saying it is ghosty smile but personally I don't know any.

I know some who split with a partner and then got with another, though, so they must have been single at one point.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 14-Nov-16 17:43:13

I know 7. Next question grin

cuibozo Mon 14-Nov-16 17:43:46

Giant, I'm not exactly concerned but just wondering if own DC will feel a bit 'odd one out'.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 14-Nov-16 17:44:04

Is it important? I know many and the age of children ranges from babies to in their 50's.

cuibozo Mon 14-Nov-16 17:44:33

It's not important, no; I'm just interested.

ageingrunner Mon 14-Nov-16 17:45:02

1 - it's me sad

Graphista Mon 14-Nov-16 17:45:06

Including myself

Not that rare in my experience, are you still quite young? Twenties?

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 14-Nov-16 17:45:15

Ah. Better that than live with two miserable parents imho. flowers

cosytoaster Mon 14-Nov-16 17:45:54

I'm one and I know quite a few, none of us have, or particularly want, new partners.

RedHelenB Mon 14-Nov-16 17:46:21

4 including myself, I'm the only one who hasn't got a boyfriend though.

abbsismyhero Mon 14-Nov-16 17:46:24

I was a single parent to one moved on had two more no one noticed that she wasn't his

Now I'm a single parent of three I'm taking it personally now hmm

lizzieoak Mon 14-Nov-16 17:47:25

People who remained single? Including myself, only 3 actually. Unless we're counting the annoying fuckers who tell me their partner is working away for a week and so now they're "single-parenting". I seriously want to slap those people.

AllTheBabies Mon 14-Nov-16 17:47:58

I know one couple who are separated two single mums. Also I used to be one (have a new dp and baby with him)

Oh I see.

I am one. I know 4 others.

II it helps, DS was the only one in his class and didn't feel like the odd one out. But now one of his ffriends parents have split.

TBH in my experience, kids care a lot less about this stuff than we do!

AuntieStella Mon 14-Nov-16 17:48:21

Lots.

More through divorce/separation than from off IYSWIM (though a handful in those too) and as time goes on, some from bereavement.

Ages if DC, from babyhood right up to upper teens.

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 14-Nov-16 17:48:36

I know a fair few, yes. One or two where the father is completely absent through his own choice, two where it's shared care (50/50) and the rest with "traditional" access for the NRP - i.e one overnight a week and every other weekend.

Why do you ask?

Bettersleepoutdoors Mon 14-Nov-16 17:51:03

In my current circle I know 8 single parents.
Theyre all women.

bluelilies Mon 14-Nov-16 17:53:04

Of my FB friends 72 are parents with a partner and 14 are single parents / not living with a partner.

I don't think it's that unusual in most school classes, though a bit less common if you're at a private school or very posh area

bluelilies Mon 14-Nov-16 17:55:48

I've double counted a bit there though as I often know both halves of a couple or sometimes even an ex couple

dimots Mon 14-Nov-16 18:00:13

Of the 13 family members of my generation who have children, only 3 are still with the partners of their first child. These 3 all have children under 8 at present and 2 of these partners have children from a previous relationship, so only 1 couple out of the 13 of us where they are still together and the child is a first for both of them.
Of the others, some have remarried or have live in partners, but we're single in between. 4 of us are single resident parents currently. So I would say it is quite common!

FreeButtonBee Mon 14-Nov-16 18:02:00

Actually loads all of a sudden ☹️ Which is shit for them as it's mostly been horrible breakups. All people working in London.

I feel like I'm running a counselling service (obviously it's far worse for the people involved)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now