Neighbour driving me insane

(19 Posts)
Vulty Mon 14-Nov-16 15:01:51

I moved in about 8 months ago, I know the woman that stays below me from seeing her around. She has other kids who stay with someone else and one who stayed with her. Not long after moving in the little girl was taken from her. I believe due to drugs, she was often left unattended etc.She disappeared for a while after that and it was bliss. At first I felt bloody terrible for her but after a while my patience wore thin. She has my wifi password and was always asking for use of my phone. She asked for a 'loan' of money once but I wasn't for starting that. I would hear arguments between her and other people and loads of banging about. For it being my first place, first time living alone I was quite anxious.

Anyway she's back, and it's started again. She's used the phone once already and every single bleeding night all I can hear is her front door slamming to the point the building shakes, I woke up yesterday morning to one of my photo frames hanging from one hook on the wall. I'm sick of it already, and sit fearing every night whilst my daughter tosses and turns in bed. I can't complain because she'll know it's me. I don't want to make life difficult for the hopefully short period I'll be here. I'm constantly looking for another place to stay. Last night I went to the extreme of taping my keyhole over and putting a draft excluder at the bottom of my front door so she wouldnt see the hall light and think I was asleep.

Rant over get me out of the shit hole!

ilovesooty Mon 14-Nov-16 15:02:56

How did she get your WiFi password?

Vulty Mon 14-Nov-16 15:07:14

I very stupidly gave her it months back because I just wanted her away from the door. I keep going to change it but I'm scared she comes back asking for it again. I could although, say I've not got internet to save money for xmas. Situations like this seem bigger to me than they might be as I suffer from anxiety.

Glastonbury Mon 14-Nov-16 15:09:24

Change the password immediately. She could be looking up anything and you will be in trouble as it's your internet account. If she asks just tell her you don't have it anymore.

LivingOnTheDancefloor Mon 14-Nov-16 15:11:20

Change you wifi password!

LivingOnTheDancefloor Mon 14-Nov-16 15:12:26

If she asks why the wifi doesn't work anymore say you went over your data allowance so you can't use it anymore

memyselfandaye Mon 14-Nov-16 15:13:04

If you can't find it in you to tell her to fuck off, change the wifi password and when she asks for it tell her your internet provider has capped your internet at 1gb a month because you got behind with the bills.

Two birds with one stone, she'll get the message you have no internet and are struggling for money so she won't ask for either again.

ZoeTurtle Mon 14-Nov-16 15:14:48

Good plan from LivingOnTheDancefloor.

I sympathise. I have two dreams in life:
- Earn enough to live comfortably while working only 3 days a week.
- Live out of sight and sound of any other human being. Preferably on my own island.

Keep looking for another place and in the meantime, hang in there. flowers

ZoeTurtle Mon 14-Nov-16 15:15:23

Good plan from LivingOnTheDancefloor AND memyselfandaye grin

mumonashoestring Mon 14-Nov-16 15:16:50

Do you know any of your other neighbours? Worth asking around and getting a feel for whether she's irritating the crap out of anyone else - if a group of you complain it'll be taken more seriously, and your landlord? HA? will honestly be able to say there's no one person complaining, it's a number of people.

Do you know how to change your WiFi password?

Vulty Mon 14-Nov-16 15:21:07

That is a brilliant idea about exceeding data! Thank you! The other two neighbours are middle aged single guys who either don't care or ignore the problem. I mean, theres noise from my flat with my little one but it all stops around 7, and I have had ONE party which was a house warming. I don't mind noise but when it's starting from 10 and going to the early hours it's a bit much. Especially when it's needless, slamming kitchen cupboards and stuff. I am scared to tell her to fuck off in case she gets worse. She is actually a nice person, I did get on well with her and I am 2 faced if I see her in the close and be nice back. Shes just constantly on vals and I don't have time for that.

Vulty Mon 14-Nov-16 15:22:18

I am changing my wifi this minute just having to follow instructions

TerrorAustralis Mon 14-Nov-16 15:33:28

If you're going to tell her the wifi has been cut off, make sure you change the name of it.

Vulty Mon 14-Nov-16 15:37:19

Yeah I was going to, struggling to get it done I think I'll wait til my mans in and the little ones in bed!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 14-Nov-16 15:41:46

Change your wifi password.
While you're at it, change the visible name of your network to NOTANYMOREMATE

QuiteQuietly Mon 14-Nov-16 15:52:30

ZoeTurtle You are my soul mate (as long as I don't have to hear you or see you).

OP Good luck. Horrid to feel uncomfortable in your own home.

Wonderflonium Mon 14-Nov-16 16:15:31

Make your network name invisible (or change it to something fake-generic like BT9876AGM) while you are there, and so you can claim you don't have wifi anymore to get her to go away.

I hope you don't have to live near her for very long.

EweAreHere Mon 14-Nov-16 16:33:59

I'm glad you're changing the password and the wifi name. Make sure you know exactly what you want to say to her when she appears to ask you for access. Stay polite.

Oh, and switch 'record' on your phone and put it in your pocket every time she comes to the door in case she goes off about it. Or anything else. If she starts to get abusive, etc, you'll have evidence.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Nov-16 16:46:32

I had a batshit downstairs neighbour too, I reported her to the police & she sold up and moved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now