to use out of date creme fraiche?

(25 Posts)
tactum Mon 14-Nov-16 10:11:22

It's been in fridge unopened the whole time, in a newish fridge with supposedly stay fresh technology (whatever that is!). Went out of date on friday. Want to use it for a red pesto sauce so it would be heated in the sauce.

Would you use it or not? TIA

Meadows76 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:12:16

No.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 14-Nov-16 10:19:15

I would use it. In my experience, dairy products like cream, yogurt, etc are usually fine for at least a week after the use by date. The dates are extra cautious to account for the people who don't go straight home from the supermarket and leave food in a warm car for hours, or whose fridge doesn't work properly and to make sure there is almost no chance of it going off before the date. They also want people to throw away perfectly good food and buy more.

As long as it looks OK, taste a little bit, the worst that could happen is that it might taste a little sour, but I wouldn't expect yours to be off. It will almost certainly be fine to use from what you have said.

BorpBorpBorp Mon 14-Nov-16 10:54:17

If it's been unopened, in the fridge, and it looks and smells OK, I would use it.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:54:47

It'll be fine. There's extra shelf life built in to allow for customer abuse (e.g. putting it in the boot of a hot car ) and the pH of sour cream is low enough to inhibit growth of anything nasty. Plus it's pasteurised before the culture is added

Trills Mon 14-Nov-16 10:55:27

If it looks and smells fine, taste it. If it tastes fine, use it.

Twoevils Mon 14-Nov-16 10:57:36

Absolutely! It has a much longer fridge life than they have you belive. Especially unopened. I frequently use it a couple of weeks out of date. If it's not growing green mould then it's probably fine wink

swoonmacaroon Mon 14-Nov-16 10:59:24

Yes do this all the time, infact I use it out of date and then still continue to use it opened for about a week. It always tastes fine & I have never been ill. I even use single cream that is so out of date it has turned into double cream!

PenelopeFlintstone Mon 14-Nov-16 11:01:58

Yep.

Lenazabaglione Mon 14-Nov-16 11:03:23

Definitely.

NannyR Mon 14-Nov-16 11:06:18

I would definitely use it, I use my eyes and nose to tell if dairy products have gone off rather than the use by date. I regularly drink milk that is a week past its date, out of date yoghurt is fine too.

pennycarbonara Mon 14-Nov-16 11:06:19

I would as long as it smells ok. Creams with culture - creme fraiche or soured cream - tend to keep longer than ordinary single or double cream. The latter I would not be surprised if they were off 3 or 4 days after the use by date.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 14-Nov-16 11:09:13

I use creme fraiche as long as it still looks and tastes normal. I've occasionally forgotten a tub at the back of the fridge for weeks and it has been fine!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 14-Nov-16 11:11:19

yes, of course.

Providing it is not helping itself out of the tub. I'd be hugely surprised if it was off in this short a time frame.

TrippyMcTrapFace Mon 14-Nov-16 11:11:58

I would use it.
I cleared out my fridge before a 3 week work trip recently. Tucked away at the back I found a small pot of 8 days out of date creme fraiche. I was chucking it out anyway but decided to check if it would have still been ok to eat and it was fine.

Gymnopedies Mon 14-Nov-16 11:13:38

Yes but don't feed it to babies and young children. They have less resistance than adults.
If you are not going to use the whole pot, you can freeze the rest to use another time.

sueelleker Mon 14-Nov-16 12:10:57

I've been known to scrape a tiny bit of mould off and use the rest. Not if it's started cracking or going a funny colour though.

tactum Mon 14-Nov-16 12:11:17

thanks ladies, thought so!

Thatwaslulu Mon 14-Nov-16 12:14:01

I would. As long as it smells ok and isn't furry, it will be fine.

fishonabicycle Mon 14-Nov-16 15:19:51

Yes. Of course. Unless it stinks or is green!

NavyandWhite Mon 14-Nov-16 15:22:58

Yes I would and I'm pretty bad at throwing stuff out because it's out of date but if it smelt fine I'd use it.

TeddyIsaHe Mon 14-Nov-16 15:24:38

I can't remember the last time I looked at a use by date on products. If it smells bad, or looks off then I chuck it. If not, it's fair game. Haven't ever had food poisoning in my life. Probably talked that one up now though...

pigsDOfly Mon 14-Nov-16 15:33:05

Before we had sell by/use by dates, and I'm old enough to remember that time, we used to tell if something was off by its taste and smell.

Don't think, growing up, we had more stomach upsets than people seem to have nowadays. It's a matter of common sense.

Of course it's fine if it tastes and smells okay.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, the use by date isn't some means of predicting when something will sudden turn into a lethal cocktail of poisons

scaryteacher Mon 14-Nov-16 17:02:46

I use it up to 6 weeks out of date if unopened and it smells OK.

BratFarrarsPony Mon 14-Nov-16 17:04:26

trust the smell and taste test . I am sure it would be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now