to ask you what exercise I should take up?

(24 Posts)
cjt110 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:49:06

Trying, unsuccessfully, to lose weight. I've gained 2 st since my son was born. Diagnosed 4 months after I had him with an underactive thyroid.

But I cant seem to stop shoving food into my face even when I know it's not going to help me lose weight.

So, this morning, I was mortified to weigh myself and it read half a stone heavier this week than last!

Am going to get back on track with my weight watchers but I also want to take up some exercise. I work full time during the week and have a 2 year old son. By the time he's in bed at 7 Im usually shattered and ready to just veg on the sofa.

I've joined a gym in the past (it worked out cheaper than paying for each class I wanted to attend) and I did pilates, zumba and attempted spinning.

We actually have a gym on our complex which I have free access to but I just cannot get into going to a gym.

What kind of classes would you suggest?

JellyBelli Mon 14-Nov-16 09:52:07

If they have toning/resistance tables use those twice a week for 3 months, and get your GP to check your thyroxine levels.
Get into the habit of going, then introduce some weight training 2 or 3 times a week. Thats the best way to tone up and lose weight.

Bluntness100 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:54:30

I would also agree weight training, it makes you long and lean as opposed to bulking up, I hate cardio as it takes ages and is dull as hell, but I find I do ten mins cardio, then I do weights,and prob for about an hour, working on different parts of my body and it works and it's not dull.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 14-Nov-16 10:13:28

Can you build activity into your daily routine. Walk or jog with DS in a buggy instead of drive/bus?

Is it possible to go to your gym before work or at lunchtime? Really really try smile. You are so lucky to have a free gym on your (work?) complex - don't waste the privelidge.

Have an active day out every weekend? Forest or city parks, trampoline parks, swimming with DS?

cjt110 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:18:40

Unfortunately, due to logistics, I couldnt walk with DS in a morning, nor go to the gym.

The free gym is at our home. I do a desk job which is even worse I suppose. I get 30 mins for lunch each day.

Really would like to find a class to go to.

MrsderPunkt Mon 14-Nov-16 10:21:02

Go to whatever you enjoy most. Even if it's more expensive and/or logistically difficult. The more you enjoy it the more you'll go.

AuntieStella Mon 14-Nov-16 10:22:19

Have a browse in this topic:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise

OK, a lot of it is about running and going to the gym, but there are useful threads about other forms of exercise that might appeal more to you.

After posting about waist whittling, I've found the fitnessblender YouTube channel - as they have mini-workouts that are only 10 minutes, they might appeal. Another suggestion was hula hooping. And on my 'to research' list is Callanetics.

If you've been ok with Pilates, then can you find a class again? Or perhaps yoga?

And consider putting a pedometer app onto your phone and see how many steps a day you have on typical weekdays and weekends now, and see if you can up that number.

TheNaze73 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:23:50

Maybe boot c

TheNaze73 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:24:37

Boot camp for the fat burn?

mum2Bomg Mon 14-Nov-16 10:25:59

Try and do 30 mins running three times a week. There are no logistical barriers, no cost (if you already have suitable trainers) and less guilt on forking out for a gym membership you don't use. It'll raise your metabolic rate even on the days you don't do anything! Try a run/walk approach to start with. It helped me as its only half an hour.

cjt110 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:29:39

Thanks for all of your suggestions - will look at the fitnessblender channel AuntieStella

I could really do with some me time too so yes, I'll pick something I enjoy which isn't the gym or running.

imjessie Mon 14-Nov-16 10:31:56

Exercise won't help you if you are stuffing your face . I say this because I know . I go to the gym 4/5 times a week and I'm still fat . I do slimming world too and I think the combination together work ( well they do as I've lost 1.5 stone ) I'm on a lifelong battle with my weight and food and also have a rubbish thyroid so have a look . You never need to be hungry so don't worry about that .

imjessie Mon 14-Nov-16 10:32:59

In terms of classes , I like to do a variety but enjoy combat the most ( it's hard though ) .. maybe legs Bums and tums or aqua aerobics ?

cjt110 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:39:44

imjessie See, I know all this. The basics - cals in, needs to be burnt off to lose weight but I just cant seem to stop myself.

Im on WW, have tried SW before but couldnt get my head around it and tbh, it didnt fit great with family life.

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 14-Nov-16 10:41:57

Do the park run. I found the community aspect of it to be a great motivator throughout the week to get healthier too. I assume a running club would also do the same for you.

cjt110 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:43:29

Claudia I don't like running - I find it difficult and get shin splints.

redexpat Mon 14-Nov-16 12:10:40

I recently stopped biting my nails after 30 years by using a hypnosis app that cost me £4. I think there is a hypnosis one for a virtual gastric band. If you are eating too much then it might help you eat less. And if it doesnt work well, it only cost £4.

I like zumba because it feels great and is fun. I also like yoga. Ive dowloaded yoga monkey (I like my apps) and it has a yoga for weight loss option. That one is free.

carrie74 Mon 14-Nov-16 12:18:53

The hardest thing is getting out the door, but if your 2 year old is in bed by 7, you should be able to get out then (or even better, if you have a DH/partner at home who can do bedtime, and you can get to the gym). Initially just try to get to one class in the week, and then do something at the weekend. Or to really focus the mind, you could hire a personal trainer - at all sorts of levels, weekly, monthly, a one off session to get a routine set up. A PT will push you harder than you'd push yourself, and you'll get RESULTS.

I don't think there has ever been such a good time to access effective free exercise than now. I use Fitness Blender at home, but there are also numerous You Tube videos of anything you can think of (I've also done yoga at home using the Yoga With Adrienne videos). You could also look at Joe Wicks' HIIT routines - they're always 15-20 mins.

Running's not for everyone (I do a little bit, but not much, as I don't enjoy it that much really, but it is cheap and effective, and you can do it anywhere in the world), but if it becomes an option for you, you may want to consider your trainers - you shouldn't really be getting shin splints if you've got the right trainers for your gait (a proper running shop can help with this, not a normal High St "sportswear" shop, they're beyond useless unless you're after fashion).

Finally, I also only have 30 mins for lunch - I try to go out for a 20 min walk every day, and then eat at my desk. I find it's great for clearing out the cobwebs, and re-energising me for the afternoon.

cjt110 Mon 14-Nov-16 12:38:31

Have found a local Gym that you can pay for classes on a PAYG basis at £5 per class. They do 2 zumba classes a week, a pilates one and also powerhoops - all rom 7.30-8.30. This gives me flexibility to go when I want and also keep it full of variety if I go once a week.

carrie74 Mon 14-Nov-16 13:28:10

Perfect, first one tonight?

cjt110 Mon 14-Nov-16 14:23:12

Tomorrow smile

mum2Bomg Mon 14-Nov-16 16:32:44

If it's difficult it just means it's having an impact. I don't mean to sound 'judgy' but whatever you do should feel difficult/a bit
painful if you haven't done it before. Agree regarding the trainers though.

Ohyesiam Mon 14-Nov-16 17:00:12

I know it's not aerobic, but nothing has changed my shape like yoga. I look at least a stone lighter, but weighthe same, it just pulls everything in and makes you look longer and leaner.
Barbra Curry has several DVDs , Magic of Yoga is one ( got it for about £4 on finddvd.com) it's split into 10 min sessions, so even when I'm exhausted on the evening, I can manage 10 mins.
Hope it goes well.

Tropezienne Mon 14-Nov-16 17:09:44

Swimming and less carb's... You can;'t fail

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now