WIBU to be in tears trying not to laugh?

(45 Posts)
ShtoppenDerFloppen Sun 13-Nov-16 21:27:42

The last little while has been rough. My mother passed away, DS's grandfather passed, too. We have been informed that our DD requires brain surgery, I am starting a new job... so lots of stress and ups/downs.

Fortunately, we are all coping reasonably well.

DS's Grandpa's funeral was yesterday. The family all contributed to it, the DCs did readings, grandchildren laid flowers, etc. DS's aunt had put together a CD of music he liked for the ceremony, and her husband was playing songs where appropriate.

That is where it all went wrong.

During the procession out to the hearse, Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah was supposed to play, but somehow a song got skipped, so the song that came on was "Highway to the Danger Zone".

Admittedly, as the deceased was a pilot and loved that song it was intended to be on the CD, but only for background music at the reception. I almost lost my mind trying not to laugh out loud. DS was in fits of giggles.

So - any "well timed" blunders you would like to share?

Belleende Sun 13-Nov-16 21:39:26

That made me giggle. Exactly the kind of send off I would love

ShtoppenDerFloppen Sun 13-Nov-16 21:42:33

Belle I have been randomly chuckling to myself all day over it. I doubt we will forget it any time soon. grin

OhHaaaaay Sun 13-Nov-16 21:46:00

I have no blunders to share but I'm sorry to say that actually made me laugh.

I hope the difficult times get easier for you soon, OP flowers

Thatznotmyname Sun 13-Nov-16 21:47:30

Oh Sctoppen! What a difficult time you've been having (((hugs))) but yes I think that's one that everyone will look back at and smile

Lulu1083 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:51:15

Not really a blunder but at my Nan's funeral the priest had a really odd accent and inflection and it made me laugh. I was absolutely devastated at losing her but he spoke in such an odd way I couldn't help but giggle. When FIL passed away the next year his cremation service was held in the same place and DH was praying we wouldn't get the same guy!

Hassled Sun 13-Nov-16 21:54:01

My father, who was an obsessively punctual man to the point where if you weren't 10 minutes early you were late, managed to be late to his own funeral (there was traffic). It gave us something to smile about on a pretty grim day.

dudsville Sun 13-Nov-16 21:54:25

You need laughs where you can get them at the moment op, but even if it was not a difficult time I'd have found that funny!

Skinnydecafflatte Sun 13-Nov-16 21:55:17

My grandma was a catholic and only one set of cousins were bought up that way. The rest of us weren't churchgoers. The cousins were all sitting together and we struggled to follow the whole service. At one point we weren't sure whether to sit or stand and it seemed like we were doing a Mexican wave down the pew hence we all got a fit of the giggles. I think these things help ease the situation.
Sorry for your loss though

brokenbone Sun 13-Nov-16 21:59:11

At my grandmothers funeral the vicar couldn't pronounce the letter R. Unfortunately my GMs name was full of them and every time he pronounce her name I would start laughing but tried hard to make it look like I was sobbing. Everyone was really lovely to me as they all thought I was distraught. Still think I'm off to hell for laughing at her funeral.

ShtoppenDerFloppen Sun 13-Nov-16 22:02:02

If you are en route to hell, it seems like you will have company.

plominoagain Sun 13-Nov-16 22:02:45

I had something almost identical happen at my uncle's funeral , back in the nineties . He had a huge turnout , so much so that most people had to stand outside for the service , but being family , we got one of the pews . They didn't have any kind of music or cd system , so my cousins , bless them , put all the songs onto a tape and brought in their cassette player as the funeral was in a crematorium .

So there we are , contemplating my uncle's life to the tune of "He ain't heavy , he's my brother " as the coffin's being borne backwards to the crematorium bit and we get to the end of the track . Only to find that they hadn't used a blank tape , so we segued into " round round get around , I get around " by the beach boys .

By this point me and my brother dare not look at each other for fear of breaking into hysterical laughter. So I've got tears streaming down my face , and in the end I can't hold it any longer . So I claw my way out of the chapel , with my brother "looking after me" and we just about make it behind a car before we are both bent double weeping with hysterics .

When we recover ourselves and get back , people are saying "Bless , she was so upset " ....

GreyEyedAthene Sun 13-Nov-16 22:06:39

The vicar got one of the close relatives names wrong. Said a completely unrelated female name instead of quite common male name. No prizes for guessing his new nickname.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 13-Nov-16 22:20:48

Oh these are really funny but, sorry, Shtoppen and everyone for your losses. grinthanks

Whatever gets you through is how I feel about it.

MotherOfBeagles Sun 13-Nov-16 22:23:08

We were scattering my grandmas ashes in a secluded part of a beach. My grandad had gotten into his head she wanted to be in the sea. So he dons his waders and wellies over his 3 piece suit and dutifully fights his way out. Whilst we were all stood in our finery sinking in the cold February sand. As my grandad goes to tip the ashes a dog ran up out of nowhere and knocked the urn out of his hand so the whole thing toppled into the sea...

We also accidentally scattered my great grandads ashes in someone's back garden... we thought it was still a public garden that he used to work in, but apparently not. The owners of the house behind had bought it. Just not locked the waist high gate and the owners were not amused.

Also the time we were on a hill scattering an aunt and the wind turned. envy

In fact any time we've scattered ashes it's gone wrong confused

aprilanne Sun 13-Nov-16 22:24:41

at my mothers funeral 3 years ago my 13 year old autistic son announced very loudly .christ mum this is boring right in the middle of the ceremony the ministers face was a picture .i like to think my mother wold be looking down saying thats my boy honest as always

Ditsy4 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:31:55

We had Colours of Day at my aunts funeral because it has " the people we meet" and she was a lovely, popular lady. It was a big funeral which had several "well to do people" but also the ladies from the bank and the postman came because she treated everyone with dignity and respect.
It got to the chorus which we hadn't thought about which was "So light up the fire let the flame burn." My sisters looked at me and we got the giggles as my aunt had requested a cremation ( later on as it was Scotland and it was over 100 miles) but we thought my aunt would have laughed at our mistake. No excuse either as we knew the hymn well!
My friend had "What's new pussycat?" at hers but I was unable to attend. Someone told me afterwards and thought there had been a mistake but I put her right. I said" Oh yes, she said she was going to have that because it would make people smile as they went out of the church!"

BubbleBlaster Sun 13-Nov-16 22:32:21

My father, a chess grandmaster, intellectual hippie with impeccable taste, requested, without a touch of irony, Bob Dylan 'knocking on heavens door'. Due to a mix up they played Showaddywaddy 3 steps to heaven. He would have died, were he alive.

northernmonkey1010 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:52:45

At my grandads funeral they accidentally played heaven can wait by meatloaf I was laughing and crying at the same time.

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Mon 14-Nov-16 06:25:30

At my grandma's funeral the priest (new to the parish and didn't know her well, despite the fact she'd been in the parish for fifty years and used to run the choir) kept getting her name wrong, which is bad enough, but he kept saying my Mum's name instead.

When he finally got to 'and now we'll all go to xxx cemetery to inter <dm name>' we all just got the giggles really badly. It was so awful it was funny.

toriap2 Mon 14-Nov-16 06:33:01

At DHs funeral, we were supposed to have Dvorak's largo as we left the church. Unfortunately, due to a cd mishap, we left to the vieniese waltz. I was the only person who noticed apparently, and to be honest, it did give me a lift. I like to thik it was DH playing a jike as he would have been giggling like crazy at that.

WhatAreYouLookingAt Mon 14-Nov-16 07:27:44

My uncle died in his late 30s leaving behind a wife and 2 young sons. The funeral was a cremation and as the curtains started to close Puff Daddy's 'I'll Be Missing You' was supposed to play. My cousin had picked the song as it was one of his favourites.

As we were sitting there, and the music started, I remember cocking my head to one side as I recognised the intro. Backstreet Boys 'Everybody' came blasting on. By the time the chorus of 'Everybody....Yeah.... Rock your Body....Yeah.....Backstreet's Back ALRIGHT!!!' Every single person was rolling about the aisles laughing with tears streaming down their faces.

The funeral director came running up to my aunt after the service to apologise about the CDs getting mixed up but she just waved him off still hysterically laughing.

bushtailadventures Mon 14-Nov-16 07:32:53

At my DMs funeral, lovely quiet moment of reflection, dgd (only a month old so can be forgiven) let out the loudest fart I think I have heard from someone so small. I got an attack of the giggles but tried to make it look like I was crying. My DM would have roared with laughter at it, so I don't feel too bad, and we are still talking about it 2 years later.

I have to say it made a tough day a lot more bearable, just a small injection of humour helped a lot.

Frouby Mon 14-Nov-16 07:37:50

At my step brothers funeral a few years ago there was a massive turn out at the crem.

Funeral procession arrived, everyone is stood around somber and sad talking quietly. Time ticks on a bit and nothing happens.

In the distance we hear a car come screaming around the corner with meatloaf Bat out of Hell blaring out. Coming down the windy road you can see the driver smoking a roll up and singing a long. Everyone starts muttering about how inappropriate it is. Car screeches around corner, pulls up bang in front of funeral cars and the bloke dives out, dives in the boot of this tatty old car, emerges wearing robes.

He was the vicar.

I was in hysterics all way through the service (disguised as tears). Step brother would have loved the vicar and likely to have been behind him with a spliff.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Mon 14-Nov-16 09:02:48

At my Dad's funeral, the woman playing the organ was truly awful. She kept making mistakes and as we were sitting quite close to her we could hear her tutting with every mistake she made.

My mum and I started giggling and as we always do, once one of us starts we both get worse until we're hysterical. We managed to pull ourselves together luckily and everyone else, including DH who was the other side of me, thought we'd been crying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now