AIBU in thinking my relative was a knob

(23 Posts)
suchafuss Sun 13-Nov-16 19:19:52

Posted on FB something my DD aged 10 had said about Trump being elected. I was chuffed that she had thought about it and had an opinion and the post was definatly in this vein So my relative in Canada starts shouting and ranting at me on FB about how wrong she was.hmm
Anyway I probably shouldn't have done this but I carried on posting about Trump and what a terrible person I thought he was, and so relative called me a 'libtard' and blocked me. I think he's being a knob especially when he called me a 'libtard' as to me its offensive. Was there really any need?

HelenaWay Sun 13-Nov-16 19:21:16

YABU. He's entitled to his options.

BratFarrarsPony Sun 13-Nov-16 19:21:45

tbh there is no need for a Brit to post on FB what their opinion of Trump is.
I do hate 'libtard' though.
I guess you do not really know this guy, in which case, no loss.

ThoraGruntwhistle Sun 13-Nov-16 19:22:55

Yes, I think it is unreasonable for him to shout you down, call you names and then block you for disagreeing... But it sounds like you have very different personalities and views, so will you miss him particularly?

suchafuss Sun 13-Nov-16 19:22:59

I know he is entitled to his opinions. It wasn't me shouting him down.

basketoffreshveg Sun 13-Nov-16 19:23:32

Well, that word is horrible so YANBU.

I have to say though that I personally dislike the amazingly insightful clever quotes by preteens and adolescents quoted by parents as mostly they are an attempt to simplify a hugely complex situation and also mean you can't disagree (who would argue with a ten year old!) so you just have to sort of smile weakly and change the subject!

abbsismyhero Sun 13-Nov-16 19:23:34

Do you mean you put on Facebook your ten year olds political opinion?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 13-Nov-16 19:23:40

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

You had your opinion, he had his, you clashed, now you're blocked.

Problem solved.

suchafuss Sun 13-Nov-16 19:23:52

No won't miss him as such it was the 'libtard' comment that I found offensive

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 13-Nov-16 19:27:59

Haven't any idea what a libtard is, but I've had similar fallouts with relatives over politics on Facebook. I've come to the conclusion that if we were speaking face to face we would have argued and got over it, so FB just prolongued and magnified the row.
Think about whether you want to keep in contact and if you do, call to talk it over. If you don't, leave it.

BratFarrarsPony Sun 13-Nov-16 19:29:54

FYI a 'libtard' is an insult thrown around by rightwingers to people who do not agree with them which essentially means 'liberal retard'.
Anyone who uses this word is not really worth talking to IME.

Leanback Sun 13-Nov-16 19:31:04

A Canadians opinion is no more important than a brit's in this matter brat

BratFarrarsPony Sun 13-Nov-16 19:32:26

true but I suppose it is a bit closer to home for them...
Anyway he sounds like an idiot so as I said, no loss.

Arfarfanarf Sun 13-Nov-16 19:34:31

He was wrong to hurl insults at you.

A personal insult to someone because you disagree with them is not the same thing as a difference of opinion.

Boundaries Sun 13-Nov-16 19:52:24

Trump getting in has the potential to affect everyone, regardless of where they live. Being engaged with international politics is a good thing, surely Brat?

Having said that, FB is ridiculous and YA(all)BU to argue on it.

<ponders irony of slagging off FB whilst airing opinion on Internet forum>

basketoffreshveg Sun 13-Nov-16 19:56:09

But is a ten year old ever going to really engage with international politics in a major way, and even if they could, should they?

user1477282676 Sun 13-Nov-16 19:56:23

I don't think it's wise for parents to post their children's political thoughts online. Those are private thoughts.....not yours to broadcast and a child of ten can't really understand the idea of their political beliefs being out there in the world for people to see forever.

I noticed a few parents posting their children's thoughts on the election and it smacks of something I can't put my finger on and I don't like it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 13-Nov-16 19:56:55

If you post strong political opinions, you should be prepared for a backlash.

Rainydayspending Sun 13-Nov-16 20:00:19

It isn't necessary to have a strong political opinion to question Trump's suitability for the role. His misogyny alone impacts half the American population.

suchafuss Sun 13-Nov-16 20:06:20

Of course they should engage!

CockacidalManiac Sun 13-Nov-16 20:40:03

So a British person can't have an opinion about the most powerful job in the world?
Don't be so fucking ridiculous. How fucking insular.

CockacidalManiac Sun 13-Nov-16 20:41:35

But your Canadian relative sounds like an idiot. You're well rid. As a general rule though, if you post political opinions you should be ready to defend them.

Ahickiefromkinickie Sun 13-Nov-16 21:11:46

YABU. He's entitled to his options.

Helena is probably a Trumpette...

YANBU, OP. He sounds like a dickwad and a douchebag to boot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now