Would you apply a job knowing your colleague desperately wanted it.

(40 Posts)
midddleclassonbursary Sun 13-Nov-16 11:00:29

Posting here for traffic as application deadline is tonight.
I'm interested in a job, the person advertising it suggested I applied as I was the sort of person they're looking for, I'm human so I was flattered! I like the look of it, it's got lots of aspects that I think I'd like and the hours are good and I've got all the "person specifications" listed. So I decided to apply. But I'm not absolutely desperate to get it, I'm considering other options as well.
Yesterday I discovered my colleague is also applying, I like her and know the hours are exactly what she's looking for, she really wants it, it's internal applicants only so there are unlikely to be many more applicants.
I'm in two minds whether to apply or not.

RougeSeas Sun 13-Nov-16 11:02:42

You cannot go through life sacrificing your own happiness just in case someone else misses out.

Apply for the job, if it's something you would enjoy and actually want to do.

Be grateful if you get it, be graceful if you don't

trixymalixy Sun 13-Nov-16 11:04:33

Why would you not apply? If you want the job, go for it.

SailingThroughTime Sun 13-Nov-16 11:04:37

That's so difficult. Would it progress your career in the longer term? Would not applying for it when you've been prompted to be a bit of a negative in your line manager's opinion of you?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 13-Nov-16 11:05:42

I'd apply. And I'd expect my friend/colleague to apply too.

Believe me, making a choice or sacrificing what you want because of loyalty to someone else only serves to come back and bite you on the arse. They'd never do the same for you and when they are long gone, well you're the one stuck in the shit regretting your choices..

RaspberryOverloadTheFirst Sun 13-Nov-16 11:10:44

I'd apply. There's no telling that even if your colleague was the only applicant that she'd automatically get it. She may not be right for the job.

I got shafted many years ago when I was naive about colleagues in an old job. Not any more. If I like a post, I'd apply for it.

WanderingNotLost Sun 13-Nov-16 11:12:09

Apply for it. If they think she's right for the job, she'll get it. If she isn't she won't. Nothing to do with you.

Rosae Sun 13-Nov-16 11:12:11

Yes. I was I this situation. Job advertised internally only. Two of us wanting it. I made my choice based on my life, career and wants.
As it happens she then didn't apply as she felt that I would definitely get the job if I applied (I had shown interest but didn't actually confirm I'd applied). Shortly after getting the job I then found out I was pregnant and she ended up covering my maternity leave then getting the job when I decided not to go back.
You have to decide based on your own life and reasons not hers.

midddleclassonbursary Sun 13-Nov-16 11:12:47

I suspect my line manager will be delighted if I don't apply because if I got it I would leave!
I like it but I'm not desperate to do it, I'm not sure I would have applied if it hadn't been suggested to me so it's not my dream job (whatever that might be) and I'm bit desperate to move my colleague is in particular the hours in her current job don't work for her. But its an interesting job (my current job is interesting but in a different way), it would make a change and it could enable me to slightly change the direction of my career but I have other thoughts options for that as well.

Trifleorbust Sun 13-Nov-16 11:14:08

Yep. I would. You only get one career. She might apply and not even get it.

midddleclassonbursary Sun 13-Nov-16 11:14:45

I'm not desperate to move but my colleague is bloody autocorrect!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 13-Nov-16 11:14:46

Apply. You can always pull out of the process or turn it down later if you decide you don't want it. You won't be able to make that decision unless you apply first.

Pipistrelle40 Sun 13-Nov-16 11:16:46

I was in this position a number of years ago with a colleague who was also a friend. We got together, went to the boss and said if one got it the other would leave so how about splitting the job between us. Pay rise for us, no recruitment for them. It worked but might not for everyone.

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 13-Nov-16 11:18:39

I wouldn't tbh. Not because you're competing with your colleague but because you sound ambivalent about it and not particularly keen to move roles. And you say you wouldn't have considered it if it hadn't been mentioned to you.
It's flattering when someone more senior encourages you to move roles but I think you need to be really clear in those circumstances that it's something you actually want to do.

midddleclassonbursary Sun 13-Nov-16 11:27:47

I am ambivalent and your right it is flattering to be asked I think that's heavily influencing my feelings about the job. Obviously if I applied I'd give it my absolute best shot as they'd be no point in applying if I didn't and if I got it Id accept it as there also seems no point in wasting everyone's time unless you intend to take it if it's offered.

Ncbecauseitshard Sun 13-Nov-16 11:31:05

Will it lead to your dream job? I mean set you on the path. You might not get it, your colleague might interview better.

madein1995 Sun 13-Nov-16 11:33:26

Apply and may the best person will. You need to put yourself first and not worry about others feelings.

SapphireStrange Sun 13-Nov-16 11:34:29

Apply. If you don't get it, at least you'll have 'kept your hand in' at the skill of applying and interviewing.

If you get offered it, you can still decide whether or not to accept it.

Sparlklesilverglitter Sun 13-Nov-16 11:36:41

Yes I would and yes I have! (I also got the job)

That's life isn't it, you can't not do anything because someone else might want too

midddleclassonbursary Sun 13-Nov-16 11:36:42

My colleague might interview better, I've no problem with that, in fa t I'd be delighted for her because I know how much she wants it. But on the other hand I might interview better I've been told I interview very well. There's little to choose between us experience wise we have slightly different skills to offer but it all adds up to the same thing.
I've no idea if it will lead to my dream job because until it was suggested that I apply I hadnt really thought about this area of work.

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 13-Nov-16 11:39:07

Ok so if you're ambivalent about it, flattered by the manager's encouragement, happy in your current role, and not yet decided if this is the direction in which you want your career to evolve, then tbh I'd hold back. But I'd probably also have a chat with the person who encouraged me to apply, saying I'm flattered to be asked but I don't feel it's quite right for me at the moment. If they are more senior and could be useful with contacts and advice in future then I'd also consider asking them whether it would be ok to stay in touch for a chat in future as your career plans evolve.

Bluntness100 Sun 13-Nov-16 11:40:09

I'd apply there is no guarantee your colleague will get it, but I would be up front and tell her you are also applying.

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 13-Nov-16 11:40:45

If you get the job and your colleague doesn't, so be it. Only apply if you will actually enjoy it and it's a stepping stone to new opportunities. As a thought, if you then took this job, would that leave you colleague to potentially take your job or are the roles/hours you are doing the same as theirs?

manicinsomniac Sun 13-Nov-16 11:42:21

I definitely wouldn't.

But that's a failing in me. I never apply for additional responsibilities or roles in my work unless I am certain that there is more than one position or that nobody else is applying.

If I was successful I'd feel awkward and guilty and if I lost out I'd feel embarrassed.

So I'm thinking that if you're ambivalent and she's desperate then I would leave it. But I'm not sure if that opinion is based on my character flaw!

burdog Sun 13-Nov-16 11:48:40

The decision over which candidate to hire does not rest with you, it rests with the individual(s) conducting the interviews. If your colleague does not get the job, you will not be responsible. She (i.e. her underperformance at interview or lack of key job spec requisites) and the hiring manager are responsible for her not getting the job.

If you want it, go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now