To ask if your son has ever had

(26 Posts)
peachesandcreamdream Sat 12-Nov-16 18:55:40

Balanitis?

I put my DS5 in the bath today and I noticed the end of his penis was quite red. He said it's not that sore and he seems to be urinating fine.

Have any MNetters had a son with this? I'm diagnosing from Dr Google but the symptoms seem to fit.

GreatFuckability Sat 12-Nov-16 18:57:45

yes my son has had it a couple of times when he was little. his foreskin was very tight and would balloon when he weed so it used to get sore and infected occasionally. we got cream from the GP, i think.

OohhThatsMe Sat 12-Nov-16 18:58:23

Yes, my son had that and had to be circumcised when he was about four years old.

bettybyebye Sat 12-Nov-16 19:00:35

Yes my DS had it when he was 2.5, went to change his nappy and his penis was all swollen and bright red - it really freaked me out! Got him an ooh app (was a Sunday) and he got some cream and antibiotics for it. It had noticeably improved within a day and was totally gone in a few days. I think if it's not too bad they will prescribe just the cream. Definitely worth a gp/ooh visit

MyGiddyUncle Sat 12-Nov-16 19:01:18

Not all of the symptoms fit but ds2 (6) has had a sore, red tip of the penis quite a few times. No pain on weeing but uncomfortable if he pulls his foreskin back.

We've been to the GP a couple of times who ummed and ahhed and said 'Oh yes it's definitely a bit inflamed/red/sore...might be thrush' and then given cream.

It clears up in a few days with or without the thrush cream so I don't think it's actually thrush or anything 'diagnosable'. I think it's a sign of a little boy who touches his willy too often (with muddy/grubby hands) and plays with his foreskin a bit roughly.

Neoneon Sat 12-Nov-16 19:02:51

Yes. Repeatedly and pus infections. Circumcised at 4/5?

MoonDuke Sat 12-Nov-16 19:04:37

Yes. Washing it in antiseptic cleared it up

Redbookworm Sat 12-Nov-16 19:06:07

Yes my son had quite a few infections and had antibiotics which cleared it up but he did have a circumcision in July as infections were increasing. He is 12.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 12-Nov-16 19:06:41

Yes my eldest had a couple of bouts at 2/3. One GP said he would need to be circumcised, another suggested we encourage him to gently pull back his foreskin in the bath. We followed the second ones advice and he has been fine.

Redbookworm Sat 12-Nov-16 19:07:33

It was due to a tight foreskin, not fiddling with grubby hands 😀

123bananas Sat 12-Nov-16 19:08:38

Yes resolved with fucidin cream from the GP.

sonlypuppyfat Sat 12-Nov-16 19:09:43

DS also had to be circumcised when he was 6 , he was on antibiotics all the time it was awful. He's had no problems since

TheCaptainsMum Sat 12-Nov-16 19:13:07

DS had it at about 16 months old. After a nap, he did a wee (I could hear it in his nappy!) and then he started to sob. He cried for half an hour. In the hour between immediately changing him to a fresh nappy and showing the gp his penis at an emergency appointment, his foreskin had changed from a bit pink to very pink and swollen. He was on liquid antibiotics for a week. So far, no relapse.

I would advise seeing a health professional ASAP.

peachesandcreamdream Sat 12-Nov-16 19:16:46

It has just gone a bit red it no swelling. It doesn't look quite right though. I'll phone OOH in the mormind and get it looked at

chipsandgin Sat 12-Nov-16 19:24:11

Has happened to both of mine when they are small, not at all uncommon and nothing to worry about if that is what it is - docs prescribed fucidin cream and it was fine & soon forgotten.

chipsandgin Sat 12-Nov-16 19:24:51

'were' small (pedant here!)

abbsismyhero Sat 12-Nov-16 19:25:45

yes and he also had a couple of incidents where he got his tip stuck in the holes in the nappy and as i pulled the nappy off OUCH!

he didn't need to be circumcised in the end it stopped when he was potty trained

ZippyNeedsFeeding Sat 12-Nov-16 19:27:40

My oldest son had a similar problem when he was about 5 - some soreness and a little swelling but no pain on urination. Turned out to be an injury. We told him not to pull it quite so hard and maybe let it have a little rest until it got better and it was fine.

ToothPowder Sat 12-Nov-16 19:30:52

My son has had it twice (he's now 4) but both times he was in such pain when he urinated that he was retaining urine and refusing to wee for up to 48 hours at a time. Both times it happened in remote holiday destinations.

FleurThomas Sat 12-Nov-16 19:37:43

Baby brother got that a number of times before foreskin swelled up and hurt him severely whenever he needed to pee. He needed to have a circumcision.

JustGetOverIt Sat 12-Nov-16 19:41:42

Yeah they both did.

Salt water fixed it.

NC1nightstand Sat 12-Nov-16 19:45:44

Yes my son has it now. The Dr said it's very common and prescribed cream and antibiotics. He was also in pain when weeing bless him. Hope your ds feels better soon.

TeriyakiStirfry Sat 12-Nov-16 20:10:59

My DP had it as a grown up, ended up needing a circumcision after Fucidin didn't work.

Bertucci Sat 12-Nov-16 20:14:04

Yes! But he didn't tell us until it was very bad (he was about 10).

Please get to the gp asap just in case it worsens.

It has caused myriad problems for my ds which may have been avoided had he seen a gp at the outset.

jamdonut Sat 12-Nov-16 20:15:49

Yes, my eldest used to get it from time to time, as a boy, and we had cream /antibiotics from the doctor's.
When he was 20, he needed a circumcision, as his foreskin was apparently very tight, and wouldn't retract properly, which was painful.

He's fine now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now