Rush hour train etiquette

(24 Posts)
MrsHouseBrownie Fri 11-Nov-16 18:18:17

Its been a long week so my tolerance is probably not at its maximum!
Train is 15 mins late and 2 carriages short. Squeezed in like sardines. Last two seats taken by myself and another person. We are sat on opposite aisle seats. Everyone else standing elbow room only. Really glad to get a seat as I have an hour commute. Opposite person decides to open sushi and balance packet on handbag. Its stinking out the carriage. Proceeds to add wasabi etc. Train predictably jerks and sushi goes flying. Its all over floor and is being squashed in. AIBU to be annoyed by this?

dudsville Fri 11-Nov-16 18:20:33

it's not nice, but it's the sort of thing that's worse for you right now given your context. Hope you get home soon and have something nice once you get there.

DrDreReturns Fri 11-Nov-16 18:21:01

Yanbu, strong smells should be avoided in confined, public places.

DanGleballs Fri 11-Nov-16 18:22:01

Nope yanbu, why the fuck would you even try to eat in those circumstances, let alone something smelly?

CocktailQueen Fri 11-Nov-16 18:22:22

Bah ha! Reminds me of Mr Bean trying to make a sandwich in a ridiculously long and convoluted way, then just when he was about to bite in, he sneezed and dropped it.

YANBU - a packed train is an inappropriate place to eat anything smelly.

VintagePerfumista Fri 11-Nov-16 18:24:00

Yanbu, but were very lucky compared to me. I always get the sweaty man with the MaccyD's bag. grin

Lilaclily Fri 11-Nov-16 18:25:05

Ew!
But perhaps it's the first thing they've eaten all day
Perhaps there diabetic or something and can't wait til they get home
Perhaps they aren't going home but going to a night shift where they're not allowed to eat
grin perhaps perhaps wink

Sushi shouldn't smell, should it? It doesn't smell much, if at all, when I have sushi at Yo Sushi.

Maybe the fact that it was stinky means it was going bad, and the person eating it will regret it later!

Floralnomad Fri 11-Nov-16 18:29:02

The Yo Sushi place at Bluewater stinks , makes me feel sick just walking near it , definitely not appropriate on a packed train .

SuperManStoleMyPants Fri 11-Nov-16 18:38:31

A couple of weeks a go in the hight of my morning sickness, I was squashed in tram traveling to work (the kind of journey where you could lift up your legs and be suspended by the crush around you) when someone sat on a seat opened some funky ass container and stunk the carriage out. It got right up my nose and triggered my very sensitive spew reflex. Full on exosist vomiting into my bag. envy

MinesaBottle Sat 12-Nov-16 11:12:16

A woman on my tube home yesterday was eating noodles. I was annoyed both by her inconsiderate behaviour at rush hour AND by the fact they smelled amazing and made me really hungry.

FleurThomas Sat 12-Nov-16 12:18:28

Yabu. People are free to eat what they like on the train & I'm sure she didnt mean to drop it everywhere.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 12-Nov-16 12:22:05

Eating anything stinky or anything requiring a fork or spoon on a train is bad manners.

You are sharing an en enclosed spaced with other people, you should not impose yourself on the rest of them.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Sat 12-Nov-16 12:22:07

YANBU - I travelled on a Virgin train recently where a couple produced a takeaway curry. It stank - totally anti social and selfish. I had to stand in the vestibule trying v hard not to spew.

andintothefire Sat 12-Nov-16 13:50:28

YANBU. I don't think eating sushi in itself is objectionable, but it's very silly to start adding wasabi and to try to balance the packet on a packed train.

I was at a full, small cinema recently and the couple sitting next to me both came into the screen with takeaway coffee. It was quite an overpowering smell in a small 30-person screen! Of course they have a right to do that (assuming they bought it from the cinema) but I did find it quite annoying because I really dislike the smell and it just isn't something I want to associate with watching a film!

Binkybix Sat 12-Nov-16 15:36:35

I agree with PP that sushi shouldn't be strong smelling!

CaesiumTime Sat 12-Nov-16 15:57:51

I was once eating Doritos on the bus and a couple a few seats behind me went on the entire time about how people didn't realise how smelly crisps could be and how awful the Doritos smelled, etc. I really didn't know that Doritos were that offensive especially on a bus with the fucking windows open. confused

Sushi shouldn't stink but I'd get a bit boakey about watching it being squished underfoot...

Poor superman that's just awful. I wouldv'e spewed watching you spew. It probably would've been a spewfest.

Marmalade85 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:00:44

Sushi really shouldn't smell at all. McDonald's and KFC is way worse. I always end up with the crisp cruncher right in my ear hole.

SirChenjin Sat 12-Nov-16 17:08:33

YANBU - stinky food on busy public transport should be banned.

as should friend groups of mums with prams and bags of shopping who decide that the packed commuter train just after 5 is the one they absolutely must take

TheNaze73 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:12:46

I'd be more worried for her that the sushi smelt strong?

YANBU though, the vomit enduring smell of KFC has to be the worst

AndShesGone Sat 12-Nov-16 17:21:59

People really shouldn't 'feel free to eat what they like' in an enclosed space where no one can get out. It's antisocial and 'common'.

<hoiks bosom>

RichardBucket Sat 12-Nov-16 20:40:44

YANBU and the excuses offered don't cut the mustard (wasabi?). It's inconsiderate at best.

Sushi smells? And coffee? Coffee smells? I must have dulled senses.

MrsHouseBrownie Sat 12-Nov-16 21:54:51

It was truly stinky sushi (from M&S according to packet!). The fact it was a packed train so no one could avoid it really bothered me. She also moaned to her friend the whole way home about dropping it and how she really fancied it. She did manage to scoff some Monster munch as a consolation grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now