to not wash my hair before the hairdressers

(92 Posts)
Note3 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:17:05

So. .I have the hairdressers tomorrow. My hair needs a wash. I used some dry shampoo in it today to perk it up as didnt have time to wash it this morning. Would it be unreasonable to not wash it tomorrow morning and instead put some more dry shampoo in before my hairdresser appointment in the morning?

I'm thinking it's pointless washing it myself only to have the hairdresser wash it again for my appointment?

Cherryskypie Thu 10-Nov-16 19:18:54

I'd be embarrassed to go with dirty hair.

nothanksbyenow Thu 10-Nov-16 19:19:31

So long as you're planning on running a comb through it, I don't see the problem personally!

creativevoid Thu 10-Nov-16 19:20:24

I never wash my hair before the hairdressers. They are just going to wash it again.

MitzyLefrouf Thu 10-Nov-16 19:20:34

If you're having colour put in your hair they'd need to wash the dry shampoo out and then dry it before applying the dye.

Personally I always arrive at the hairdresser with squeaky clean hair. It's the Hyacinth Bucket in me.

ChickenVindaloo Thu 10-Nov-16 19:20:55

My understanding is that hairdressers prefer not-clean hair, especially if they're doing highlights on it. Clean, fluffy hair is harder to work with than slightly greasy hair.

Kates1stBump Thu 10-Nov-16 19:21:37

when I'm getting color I do not wash my hair the day of. If its just a cut, I go in with just washed, still wet hair and she re-wets for the cut and then does a wash and condition after cutting. I've never used dry shampoo, can't speak of that. I do know the color takes better to not freshly washed hair.

KayTee87 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:24:02

I don't wash my hair the morning that I'm going to the hairdressers but I wash it everyday so it's not dirty when I go. I wouldn't go if it was full of dry shampoo though, not sure if products make it more difficult to dye?

Note3 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:27:32

Oh sorry didn't think of colour...I'm just having wash cut and blow dry. I do feel embarrassed to think it'll be grimy so I think I may wash it this eve then bung up and have it rewarded tomorrow morn. I have a young baby so getting in the shower can be a royal faff at the mo what with teething and crawling and such like!

Roussette Thu 10-Nov-16 19:32:05

Of course no need to wash your hair! Thats why it's called hairdressers... you are paying them to do it for you. Why wash it before you go...

ftmsoon Thu 10-Nov-16 19:32:25

I would go dirty as its not being coloured. Maybe I have no shame, but I hate the thought of wasting all that water washing it twice unnecessarily.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 10-Nov-16 19:35:11

Note, don't bother !
You are having a wash, cut and blow tomorrow.
You are not expected to have pristine hair for your appointment.
Just relax this evening, and enjoy tomorrow. 😄

dementedpixie Thu 10-Nov-16 19:35:39

I would wash it tonight

WilliamHerschel Thu 10-Nov-16 19:35:58

I have never washed my hair just because I'm going to the hairdressers. It's the first thing they do. Even when I used to get mine coloured they always washed it first. And no, if you're thinking that's because my hair was always dirty! grin Even if my hair was freshly washed the hairdresser always washed before colouring.

PlumsGalore Thu 10-Nov-16 19:36:50

Never wash my hair before going, always looks a mess, BUT I do have a colour and I have been told not to wash it before, I like going in looking awful and coming out all shining and bouncy with roots that match the ends.

maddiemookins16mum Thu 10-Nov-16 19:36:59

If I was going tomorrow and had washed it today, maybe not. If it was dirty and on top of that I'd used dry shampoo a couple of times I'd feel embarrassed

PlumsGalore Thu 10-Nov-16 19:38:14

My colour goes on dry hair, gets it's a different type, tint then highlights and low lights here.

TerriB84 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:39:09

washing my hair before going to the hairdressers seems completely pointless to me if I'm having it washed there. But then I have mixed race hair and washing it more often than once a week is really bad for it!

Note3 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:41:10

Lol just noticed my second post says rewarded instead of rewashed...I guess my hair is going to be rewarded tomorrow...haha!

Hmm interesting...quite a split of replies! I will have to see how teething baby is and hope I can get in shower tonight and if not will have to grit teeth and hope hairdresser doesn't think I'm unreasonable tomorrow!

SinglePringle Thu 10-Nov-16 19:41:46

Just a cut? I'd wash & dry it in the style I like in order they can see it.

Colour? Don't wash. It makes your scalp sensitive to colour and it can sting to buggery (and dry shampoo makes no difference to the colours ability to 'take'. I've asked various hairdressers).

Prometheus Thu 10-Nov-16 19:44:16

Why on earth would you wash it and how would they know it was dirty? Unless it is full of mud, they won't notice it hasn't been pre-washed.

MitzyLefrouf Thu 10-Nov-16 19:45:20

My hairdresser says dry shampoo prevents the colour from taking correctly.

Turneeps Thu 10-Nov-16 19:46:32

What do you do for mobile hairdresser? Wash before thet arrive so it's wet? Then they can't see how your hair sits when dry?

blowmybarnacles Thu 10-Nov-16 19:46:49

Hmm, I'd go with day old hair but no more as they usually run their hands through your hair while you describe what you want, which isn't pleasant for them.

SinglePringle Thu 10-Nov-16 19:47:35

Mine doesn't mitzy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now