to expect to find a good alcohol-free wine?

(27 Posts)
dannyglick Thu 10-Nov-16 17:49:41

I will be working a 12 hour shift on Xmas Day, so will be having my Xmas dinner with colleagues in the workplace.
Can't have alcohol, but I feel that a Xmas dinner needs a glass of red to accompany it.
Any recommendations for an alcohol-free version?

QuinnsNo1Lady Thu 10-Nov-16 17:50:57

The Eisberg CanSauv from Morrisons is OK. Not fab but tastes more like wine than any others I've tried.

Booboobedoo Thu 10-Nov-16 17:56:17

Watching.

It's like the search for the holy grail.

Sparlklesilverglitter Thu 10-Nov-16 17:58:05

Why not get some cheap champagne flutes and have either sparkling water with orange juice or apple juice so it feel a bit special.
I'd much rather that than non alcohol wine

c3pu Thu 10-Nov-16 18:01:16

Grape juice?

redexpat Thu 10-Nov-16 18:17:13

Top tip. Sparkling water and elderflower cordial is luuuhvly.

Why not go all out and make mocktails? Virgin pina coladas all round I say!

DamsonGinIsMyThing Thu 10-Nov-16 18:18:40

Sainsbury have a nice alcohol free mulled wine.
It's how I'm going to hide my pregnancy over the Christmas period.

RoseGoldHippie Thu 10-Nov-16 18:22:43

Sholer (can't spell it smile ) is the best fancy alcohol free drink IMO!

Scrowy Thu 10-Nov-16 18:22:47

Sainsburys have a non alcoholic fizz with a proper cork in it and everything. It's in the wine aisle. It needs to be well chilled when you drink it otherwise it's a bit sweet rather than dry, but it's close enough.

Randytortoise Thu 10-Nov-16 18:24:27

Asda do a fantastic sparkling rose (you find it next to the elderflower cordial.
Tesco also do both a really nice sparkling moscato and not-sparkling moscato. They taste just like the alcoholic version.

Randytortoise Thu 10-Nov-16 18:25:19

Both sparkling one I have suggested come with proper corks that poo and look just like posh bottles of champagne!

ragz134 Thu 10-Nov-16 18:27:04

I've heard the waitrose ones are good.

AllTheBabies Thu 10-Nov-16 18:27:43

I'm facing my second pregnant Christmas in a row (bad planning!) and my extensive research has found that they are all bad and schloer is the way to go. They even do one with a cork in it for extra festive feelings.

DamsonGinIsMyThing Thu 10-Nov-16 18:30:27

Corks that poo randy
Remind me to not accept a drink off you grin

MortimersRaven Thu 10-Nov-16 18:37:40

I second Eisberg, the Sauvignon Blanc is very drinkable and a convincing alternative!
It's actually de-alcoholised wine so made in the same way as usual but with the alcohol removed, which I guess is why it's not too dissimilar in taste.

venusinscorpio Thu 10-Nov-16 18:54:54

Is there anything which tastes dry? I always find them too sweet for my taste.

venusinscorpio Thu 10-Nov-16 18:56:36

We used to have Shloer for special occasions when I was a kid. Loved it then but couldn't drink it now!

EatsShitAndLeaves Thu 10-Nov-16 19:00:08

Yes TBH - it's the alcohol content that provides the flavour.

You're much better off googling "virgin cocktails".

Loads of lovely drinks that taste "special".

venusinscorpio Thu 10-Nov-16 19:14:28

I either have a spicy tomato juice or a sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice when i am out and want a non alcoholic drink. I don't like sweet fizzy drinks or too much fruit in drinks. Would love if I could find a dry tasting non or low alcohol wine though!

dannyglick Thu 10-Nov-16 19:47:14

Thanks, everyone, for some great ideas.
I'll be sure to take some nice glasses to work, too.

5Foot5 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:34:02

I second the suggestion for elderflower cordial. When I was pregnant I drank elderflower and tonic instead of gin and tonic. Once I finished breast feeding I was really looking forward to my first proper gin in over a year. I was actually quite disappointed by it as I had got so used to the elderflower that I preferred the taste! That soon wore off.

INeedANameChange Thu 10-Nov-16 21:09:01

There's no such thing. All wine alternatives are vile. They either taste like vinegar or ginger beer.

Shloer is nice but only because it's a soft drink!

MidniteScribbler Thu 10-Nov-16 22:16:15

I don't know if you'll be able to get it in the UK, but Maggie Beer makes a lovely non alcoholic sparkling chardonnay and a non alcoholic sparkling ruby cabernet. I don't like most non alcoholic wines and like my wine and champagne dry, but I'll happily quaff this one.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Thu 10-Nov-16 22:20:14

I never did find a good nonalcoholic wine, but Becks Blue is really nice, and the nonalcoholic ciders aren't too bad either.

I'm not a fan of beer but when nonalcoholic is required it's not too bad actually.

StrawberryQuik Thu 10-Nov-16 22:21:11

Maybe not very special/celebratory but for those who are looking for something dry...Becks Blue (alcohol free beer) is really nice and tastes like beer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now