Driving without insurance

(20 Posts)
TheSnowFairy Thu 10-Nov-16 15:57:32

Hi

Hoping someone can help me with this.

My mum passed out in town yesterday and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

She had left her car parked in the town centre in a disabled bay (she has a blue badge). The paramedic put a note in the car saying what had happened.

Long story short, she has to stay in til Sun and then won't be able to drive for at least a week.

I am not insured on her car and don't know the reg - I know where it is to pick it up though.

AIBU to go and pick it up and drive it to her house (about 2 miles)? And if IABU, how do I get round it? I can't leave it where it is, it will get towed.

TIA

Bluntness100 Thu 10-Nov-16 15:58:55

Don't be daft. Call her insurer and have uour self added to the insurance for a day.

PatriciaHolm Thu 10-Nov-16 15:59:43

Does your own insurance cover you third party on other vehicles? This is pretty standard. Or are you not insured at all?

pinkmagic1 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:00:02

Are you fully comp on your own car insurance? If so you are often covered 3rd party to drive other cars with the owners permission.
Hope your mum is better soon.

Macsmurray Thu 10-Nov-16 16:00:30

If you have fully comp insurance, you may be allowed to drive someone else's car and you're covered for third party. Mine does. Check your policy.

pullingmyhairout1 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:01:23

Are you fully comprehensive on your own insurance? If so check if you have third party extension to drive your Mum's.

RoastitBubblyJocks Thu 10-Nov-16 16:01:30

Do you have your own car insurance where you are the policyholder?

If so, you may have third party only cover to drive other cars.

If you don't, find someone who does, most/many people do.

Absolutely do not drive it with no insurance.

amicissimma Thu 10-Nov-16 16:01:38

Have a look at your own insurance policy; it may very well be that you are insured to drive cars you don't own - 3rd party only. If not, have you a partner or friend who would be insured in that way and could help out?

As a last resort, give your insurers a ring, explain the situation and ask them to cover you for a day and you will call them shortly to give them the reg number - when you get to the car.

Whatever you do, don't drive without insurance; the consequences could be far worse than having the car towed.

GreenDaisies Thu 10-Nov-16 16:01:45

I agree with everyone else-check your own insurance first and if you're not covered get yourself added on to your mums. Get well soon to her

FleurThomas Thu 10-Nov-16 16:01:54

If you have fully comp ins with no limitations it should have third party cover on it to drive another car. Alternatively your mums breakdown will cover it- just let them know she had an accident and can't drive.

TheSnowFairy Thu 10-Nov-16 16:02:28

Hi, don't know who her insurer is but yes, I have fully comp.

Off to check with them now...

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Thu 10-Nov-16 16:04:37

Don't even consider doing it. Get caught driving without insurance and it could be GBP300 and six points on your licence. Or if it ended up in court for any reason, you could end up being disqualified from driving.

TheSnowFairy Thu 10-Nov-16 16:13:05

Thank you for all the replies, I am covered to drive it under my policy.

What a relief smile

flowers to you all.

Snowflakes1122 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:44:57

Glad you sorted it.

Hope your mum is better soon flowers

Topseyt Thu 10-Nov-16 17:45:11

Check whether or not you need to get her written permission to drive it for the cover. If you do then type out a short note for her to sign, or download any form that your insurer likes to use. Other than that, you should be OK.

Have all paperwork to hand when making the journey.

Good luck. I hope your mum is better soon.

WiddlinDiddlin Thu 10-Nov-16 17:51:06

If its a motability vehicle, you will NOT be covered even if your insurance normally covers you third party on someone elses vehicle - just to point that out as many people do not realise this.

specialsubject Thu 10-Nov-16 18:02:05

just to confirm - the cover will almost certainly be third-party only. That means you are legal, but if you were to have an accident that is your fault there will no cover for damage to the car.

if you did not have this cover, the solution would have been to get someone who does to collect the car. As I hope you realise, there is NEVER a reason to drive uninsured. The consequences could be financially life-changing or worse.

meanwhile hope your mum gets better soon.

enterthedragon Thu 10-Nov-16 19:33:49

If it's a motability car you will not be covered by your own insurance. Motability cars can only be driven by the named drivers on the motability insurance.

I know this because I had to be added to my neighbours insurance when he was unable to drive but had to move the car from outside his house onto his drive because of roadworks being carried out right outside his house.

Fluffyears Thu 10-Nov-16 19:50:52

Glad you are covered it's not worth the hassle. A girl I worked with git hit by another car but as she was uninsured she became the liable party and got 7 points on her licence:

IAmNotAMindReader Thu 10-Nov-16 20:16:29

Check your mothers insurance as well as yours. Just because yours may allow you 3rd party cover to drive other cars it will be invalid if your mothers insurance is restricted to named drivers only. In which case, you would have to contact them and get them to temporarily add you to the policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now