AIBU to be annoyed with DS2's Biology teacher?

(8 Posts)
wigglybeezer Tue 08-Nov-16 21:56:03

I thought she seemed very nice at parent's night, not so sure now...
Trying to watch telly ( had saved up the last episode of Poldark) but DS2's noisy sniffing was distracting so I asked if he wanted a hanky and got the following reply: "no thanks, I don't need one, my Biology teacher says blowing your nose is bad for you, sniffing is healthier" !!!
Some twaddle about expelling mucus encouraging the nose to produce more followed. hmm

yellowfrog Tue 08-Nov-16 22:00:30

Go see her and say that sounds fascinating, can she show you the research that proves that? I bet my snotty hankie she's not got any!

viques Tue 08-Nov-16 22:04:11

Thanks, that has just ruined my evening.

Memo to self, you do NOT have to google, repeat you do NOT have to google........

HumphryDavy Tue 08-Nov-16 22:10:16

My ENT consultant said never to blow your nose when I was having my sinuses drained. It some mucus is forced back into the sinuses when you do. Medical advice is to sniff.

MaddyHatter Tue 08-Nov-16 22:10:29

there is some evidence that blowing your nose hard can propel germs/virus into the sinus cavity and cause secondary infection... it can also cause pressure build up.

The advice is to blow one nostril at a time gently and take decongestants.. not to not blow at all.

ChocolateBudgeCake Tue 08-Nov-16 22:13:47

Every day is a school day on MN!

I cannot stand the sound of sniffing though. It gives me the shivers.

abbsismyhero Tue 08-Nov-16 22:14:11

Well I'm stuffed then I've got graves and decongestants are a no no plus I've weird set up where if I sniff too much my ears block up

AKinkAdmirer Tue 08-Nov-16 22:19:43

I'm no expert but always thought the whole point of mucus was to wash the viruses out of your body, in which case surely sniffing defeats the point and you want more to be produced to get as many out as possible?
Maybe I'm completely wrong but sniffing gives me extremely blocked ears anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now