Can anyone working with animals help me?

(10 Posts)
MermaidTears Tue 08-Nov-16 08:37:32

Hi!
I'm desperate to eventually go back to work, I do not want to go back to my old job at a supermarket. (Nothing wrong with that but I want to do something I'm passionate about if I can)
I would love to work with animals, anything really. Veterinary care assistant, pet shop, vets reception, dog groomers, literally open to most things
I've just had a baby and won't be going to work for quite a while. So want to use this time to do an online study/college course.
I can pay using the installments system.
I don't have bad GCSEs and have the certificate for that.
What I'm asking is if any of these courses are worth doing?
I am utterly baffled by the qualifications part of things, seeing as I've never really needed them, as I just worked in a shop before.
I'm willing to put the hard work in and do the courses, or two even, but don't want to waste money if the certificate at the end is worth fuck all?
I was looking specifically at the combined 'animal care and welfare level 3 & 4' course?
Can anyone with these kinds of jobs tell me what potential employers are looking for and if these certificates are worth anything?
Going to actual college etc is completely undoable. I have to do this from home on laptop.
Thanks for any help or advice in advance!

MermaidTears Tue 08-Nov-16 08:37:55

Link below:

www.openstudycollege.com/courses/animal-care-animal-behaviour.html

MermaidTears Tue 08-Nov-16 08:39:16

Link to the full list of courses available:

www.openstudycollege.com/animal-care_courses.html

soupey1 Tue 08-Nov-16 08:46:41

Hi, I am not in this field but DD1 is and to be honest what employers want is practical experience as much as certificates.It is incredibly competitive with far more people wanting jobs with animals than there are jobs. She has a BSc Hons in Animal Management and has still not been able to get a job in that field due to lack of practical experience - she volunteers one day a week in an appropriate setting,has done additional qualifications at her own expense and early next year will be doing a seven week unpaid internship to try and get a good enough CV (she has previously done other stints of unpaid work experience/volunteering). Her friend who did the small animal course looking to work in a vets or pet shop etc is now working in a bakers as she also can't get a job. Sorry to be a bit pessimistic but unless you will have the opportunity to get hands on with animals it will be very hard.

AddictedtoGreys Tue 08-Nov-16 08:49:10

Agree with soupey. I used tie work in the field and employed people in different roles for the company I work for. The key thing is practical experience. But in regards to the course you are doing it really depends what job you are aiming to get at the end. I know you said that you don't mind what job, but this course would be completely irrelevant for a dog groomer for example.

ThatGingerOne Tue 08-Nov-16 08:50:48

First of all you need to recognise that having your own pets will never count as ''experience with animals''. I would suggest going to your local animal shelter (RSPCA etc) to volunteer with dog walking/cleaning kennels etc as this will at least get you some experience with animals in a professional manner. You could also get a job in a pet shop if possible however experience with animals in a professional manner may be needed.

Many colleges offer an 'animal management' course or the like, usually a BTEC so not too demanding although equivalent to an A level. This could give you an official qualification to then go on to get a job with animals.

Softkitty2 Tue 08-Nov-16 08:54:22

My bil went to college doing an animal related course. He has never worked in thag field despite applyinh multiple times in various places. When he was in college they offered placements in nature reserves in africa which costs thousands of £ which he could not afford.

From what he is saying it is very competetive and to whittle down applicants they go for degree level + experience. Hth.

Blackfellpony Tue 08-Nov-16 08:55:44

Personally I think lots of the jobs in vets etc are taken by people who have volunteered there or by personal recommendation.

I think experience counts much more than a certificate. I would do some volunteering in as many different animal related places as possible and go from there!

devilinmyshoes Tue 08-Nov-16 08:55:48

I did lots of courses through the animal care college when I started walking dogs for £££, they were interesting at the time but I'm not sure how worthwhile they are now. I also look after horses so my bhs qualifications should in theory be useful but I've definitely forgotten everything, and I did NVQs in riding and stable management. I'd recommend doing something through your nearest agricultural college rather than online.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 08-Nov-16 08:58:20

No, not without the practical experience that college offers alongside them - that's what worthwhile to employers, the experience with exotic animals, persistence, etc.

Vets reception will have little actual work with animals, but you'd need reception experience rather than an animal course. Assistant dog groomers positions would most likely go to people who've studied it at college and can groom. You can do some grooming courses at college in evenings/weekends if that would be possible? Vet nurse positions are hugely popular so you could try without practical experience but it's not hugely likely that you'd get a position easily; especially not paid.

Is there any way attending college might be an option? You'll struggle in this career path without that, you're at a major disadvantage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now