About friend owning me money?

(46 Posts)
Waanderlust Mon 07-Nov-16 19:20:37

Yesterday we went to an event and I paid for our tickets (2 for 1) and so I spent £50.

Friend then said she would buy food. My meal came to £10.

There's no mention of her giving me back any more. She's quite a new friend too so it makes it really awkward.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 07-Nov-16 19:23:05

Yes YABU. Never loan money to friends, either gift it or make it very clear how you will be splitting in advance.

If it was 2 for 1 tickets she probably assumed hers was the "free" ticket...

NavyandWhite Mon 07-Nov-16 19:23:23

Oh dear.

Surely the time to mention money was at the time of booking the tickets? Makes everything a bit awkward now.

SouthWindsWesterly Mon 07-Nov-16 19:23:49

Did she agree to pay £25 or do you think she expects the food to cover it as it was essentially 2for1

Candlelight123 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:24:34

That's quite cheeky of your friend. Personally I would have paid half of the chargeable ticket so we both benefitted.

ChicRock Mon 07-Nov-16 19:25:17

Did you invite her along? Did you make it clear that you expected to split the cost?

Because '2 for 1' kind of sounds like she thought you wanted to go anyway and you were giving her the free ticket.

Bringmewineandcake Mon 07-Nov-16 19:25:51

Big girl pants on and ask her for the rest of the money. Nice breezy text, great evening blah blah blah - tickets worked out as £25 each so does she want bank details to send over the £15? Done.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 07-Nov-16 19:25:55

Why not text sending your bank details saying Tickets £50 meal £20 Total £70 so by my reckoning the amount you need to send to square things up is £15. Thanks

Meadows76 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:26:20

That's not something that would bother bit of money is an issue for you then you need to discuss it with your friend first.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 07-Nov-16 19:26:35

Cross posted with others!

pasturesgreen Mon 07-Nov-16 19:26:44

I appreciate it's a small amount, but I'd text her and ask her to transfer the £15 she still owes you.

She's taking the piss and hoping you'll be too polite to mention it.

whyohwhy000 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:27:43

'2 for 1' does actually sound like her's would be the "free" ticket.

pklme Mon 07-Nov-16 19:28:06

Often the expectation would be that it evens up over time- that the next event she pays a larger share for example.

SouthWindsWesterly Mon 07-Nov-16 19:29:12

Tickets £50 meal £20 Total £70 so by my reckoning the amount you need to send to square things up is £15. Thanks

I can see the AIBU now! 😂 New friend wanted to go to an event which she would have been paying for but got a 2 for 1 and offered me the free one. I paid for food but now she's sending bank details. I wouldn't have gone if I knew she wanted the full amount.

Saying that, it would be fairer if she paid exactly half but you haven't said if you specified that she was to pay half if she took the other ticket

RebelRogue Mon 07-Nov-16 19:34:52

It wouldn't bother me tbh if i had a great time. And It would only become an issue if it didn't even out over time.

NavyandWhite Mon 07-Nov-16 19:41:55

Personally I'd chalk this one up.

ApproachingATunnel Mon 07-Nov-16 19:46:26

I'd make a mental note about this friend and make sure that in the future fair splitting of costs is agreed in advance.

baconandeggies Mon 07-Nov-16 19:47:06

Did you invite her or was it a joint decision to go? She did know it was 2 for 1?

ChocolateBudgeCake Mon 07-Nov-16 19:47:11

This happened to me a while ago. I invited friend, she bought lunch. I was about a tenner out of pocket. I decided to let it go. It was my fault for not being up front. I learned my lesson.

It depends how much you need the money. If you can afford to let it go then it's worth letting it go.

Lorelei76 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:47:25

How is 2 for 1 a freebie, if someone rang me with that I'd assume we were splitting the cost?

Cocklodger Mon 07-Nov-16 19:49:26

2 for the price of 1, so you're no more out of pocket for taking her with you, and she paid for your meal (presumably as a thank you)
I think I'd leave it TBH. if I was the friend in this situation I'd ask if you wanted half of the cost but I can see how it would look to some people.

user1472419718 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:49:49

Was she fully aware of how much the tickets were?

WorryMcStressHead Mon 07-Nov-16 19:50:03

Absolutely what Lorelei said! I can't believe how many of you think the assumption would be made that yours is the free one. If you do BOGOF, then you split the cost so it's cheaper for both of you.

CoraPirbright Mon 07-Nov-16 19:51:24

I would organise another night out and then say "oh, I stumped up X last time so you can cover Y?". If she quibbles and splits any bills down to the last penny then you have the answer (she is a tight-wad/free-loader) but if she says "of course! And how about I treat us to X?!" then you know that she is as generous as you are but has a possibly slightly -free-and-easier approach to splitting things. No need to kick her into touch just yet. Quite often, things have a way of evening out.

SleepFreeZone Mon 07-Nov-16 19:51:53

I'd chalk it up too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now