To ask if its 'normal' to feel high on antidepressants?

(24 Posts)
WankingMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 12:13:31

OK without going into my total medical history, I suffer chronic pain issues and I am on strong painkillers 24/7. I know it is not these causing this feeling because I have been on them for coming up 2 years now and never felt like this.

I didn't even realise I was depressed, as daft as that sounds. I thought it was normal to be disinterested in everything, to feel down most of the time, to have no motivation. Literally the only thing I enjoyed was spending time with my kids, and even then I didn't always enjoy it. I was diagnosed with PND after I had my son but thought it was bollocks as it was just off a tick box sheet that my HV gave me and I felt the same as I always had, so I did nothing about it. A few months back, I discovered how I feel is NOT normal at all. Problem is, I have felt this way for as long as I can remember, going back way into childhood..anyway. I spoke to a GP 2 months ago who told me the depression wasn't actually depression and it was just me feeling low because of my pain issues, despite me telling her I felt like this before I even was ill. I accepted this as GPs know best right...well I had another appointment about 2 weeks back about a different issue and I ended up breaking down in the GPs office (different GP) and she asked me to go through everything...and put me on something called duloxetine to see if it helped. She told me it wouldn't work for a month or so as it needs to get into my system first. Today is my 13th day taking it...and I feel on top of the world? I am actually getting random waves of pleasure (not sure how else to word that, not sexual but just...happiness) and have so much energy and such. I feel fantastic. Now, obviously I don't want this to end, but I am worried I am having some kind of manic reaction to the pills? Has anyone else felt this way after being diagnosed with depression and put onto tablets? I am not sure if this is how I SHOULD feel all of the time, or if its too much, if that makes sense? Given I have not felt 'normal' since I was about 13 or so...maybe this is how my life should have been all of this time? Seems a bit early for a reaction from the tablets given GP said it would take a month, but something has changed here.

WankingMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 12:14:03

Wow, apologies for the big wall of text. I didn't realise I had wrote that much :S

FlapsTie Mon 07-Nov-16 12:16:14

You could well be Bipolar. I had a similar reaction to citalopram. I take a mood stabiliser now alongside anti ds and it's made all the difference.

Feeling hypomanic can be wonderful but it can also lead to chronic overspending, shitty decisions and burnout. And I always crash into a vile suicidal depression afterwards.

See your GP.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 07-Nov-16 12:18:13

I'd see a GP urgently because this sounds like mania, whether bipolar related or not; and it'll lead to a god awful crash when it ends.

DrQuinzel Mon 07-Nov-16 12:20:40

I work in psychiatry and would also be considering bi-polar based on what you've described but obviously I don't know you and it would be really inappropriate to attempt to diagnose you on the internet. Best thing to do is go back to your GP and explain.

DrQuinzel Mon 07-Nov-16 12:21:58

Some people react like this to venlafaxine due to the way it tampers with your serotonin, but it's quite rare to happen with duloxetine unless there's something else going on too.

WankingMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 12:24:16

OK thanks. I thought it was 'too good to be true' but have no frame of reference for how you are actually meant to feel :/

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Nov-16 12:25:51

I would go back to GP. Could be pain pills and others are reacting together?

WankingMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 12:29:44

Not sure. I am on oramorph, acupan and dihydrocodeine..I assume GP checked for interactions between these before prescribing.

I apparently can't see the GP for nearly 3 weeks. Great.

HopperBusTicket Mon 07-Nov-16 12:30:42

I feel much happier on antidepressants (citalopram) and more resilient - things bother me less and I enjoy life more. I wouldn't describe it as waves of pleasure though. It's definitely worth talking to the GP.

HopperBusTicket Mon 07-Nov-16 12:32:48

Call back and tell the receptionist you're worried about antidepressant side effects and your mood and ask for an emergency appointment if necessary. If it is a mania or similar (not a psychiatrist) caused by the medication then you need to be seen.

butterfliesandzebras Mon 07-Nov-16 12:35:37

One of the antidepressants I tried (sertraline, I think), initially felt like a mild dose of ecstasy when I first took it, but then as I got used to it the 'rushy' feelings faded quickly. I'd talk to your doctor.

WankingMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 12:38:16

initially felt like a mild dose of ecstasy when I first took it,

This is exactly what I feel now. I used to take ecstasy when younger before I had kids. Ecstasy had a huge effect on me and I felt great for 3 days after one pill, honestly, I felt the happiest I have ever felt when on pills and I still sometimes crave that feeling now but I wouldn't take the risk now that I have responsibilities. But thats exactly what this feels like. Very mild though, but still the same kind of feeling.

On hold to GP again now.

DrQuinzel Mon 07-Nov-16 12:38:24

Could well be interacting with the acupan (I know acupan interacts with the older, tricyclic antidepressants) but I wouldn't imagine it to. However obviously all drugs affect people differently.

If I were in your position I would give it a few days and see how you feel. However, if you find yourself getting credit cards and booking around the world cruises with no money to pay for them I would suggest taking a trip to A&E and asking to speak to the psychiatrist there.

Bloopbleep Mon 07-Nov-16 12:40:45

It's very normal in your first couple of days of taking ADs to be a bit high. If it continues beyond a few days/week go back to your GP. It's highly unlikely to be bipolar or a proper mania. You've introduced chemicals to your body that weren't there before and it needs to adjust.

Bubbles1986 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:48:19

Could be serotonin syndrome. I had it mildly on citalipram, I had to cone off it and take diazepam to stop the gurning. My husband noticed I kept stroking the kids and brushing my hair because it felt so nice

Bubbles1986 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:49:20

Oops I meant sertraline, citalipram just made me have an accident :-(

WankingMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 12:49:35

If I were in your position I would give it a few days and see how you feel. However, if you find yourself getting credit cards and booking around the world cruises with no money to pay for them I would suggest taking a trip to A&E and asking to speak to the psychiatrist there.

This is what I have just been told by the receptionist. Well not the bit about spending and that but just to see how I go for a few days then call back for an emergency appointment if it gets 'worse' (or better that should be really...)

I am not having any ridiculous spending urges, nor any urge to do anything dangerous and stupid. I am just sitting feeling quite buzzed and have blitzed all the housework this morning in a couple of hours and still feel like I could go for a run..which is very strange for me.

Thanks for the replies also grin

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 07-Nov-16 12:54:00

It sounds LOVELY

Viewofhedges Mon 07-Nov-16 12:58:01

I went on fluoxitine earlier this year and had about a fortnight of feeling Just So Bloody Fantastic (and talking REALLY FAST). I levelled out, lost the Fantasticness but still felt more resilient, stronger, better. I agree that you should just give it a little while to see if you level off and make sure you don't book any cruises as the other poster suggests (we know what she means) - and I'll also say what I don't think anyone else has yet - ENJOY IT. It may well be you are a low level depressive like me (hence the years and years of normal) and even a low dose of ADs makes you quite up quite quickly (by the way my GP says they say a month because it takes some people that long and they want them to persevere, but others, like us apparently, react more quickly). For a safety measure, tell someone you know and love and ask them to speak up if they think you're overdoing it - but otherwise hopefully all will be well. Good luck and WELL DONE for doing something about your MH. I wish you all the best.

WankingMonkey Mon 07-Nov-16 13:07:04

Viewofhedges

Thank you..that made me tear up a bit, I feel so intouch with emotions I haven't felt for ages..its quite insane.

I have told DH how I am feeling, he said 'why don't you just bloody enjoy it' too and said he had noticed a spring in my step today. When he gets back from work I will tell him to keep an eye on me, but nearly all decisions are joint anyway so he would know if I was going OTT.

HopperBusTicket Mon 07-Nov-16 13:10:22

It sounds like you are pretty self aware but yes worth asking your husband to keep an eye too. I hope it's the beginning of much better times for you 😀

lostincumbria Mon 07-Nov-16 13:30:56

I found citralapram leveĺed me - so I avoided peaks and troughs, and was fairly middling.

However, when I was having a particularly good times - on a trip or with friends - I would get giddy. I'm not sure if it was the drugs, or just that I rarely had felt so good for so long,

Good luck!

Hysterectical Mon 07-Nov-16 13:59:20

When I started Cipralex I can remember thinking what a nice day other was and then shifting myself and having mega panic attacks. What a nice day is just not me. I don't think it's a nice day. Ever. Then you panic about that then panic about panicking. I think people are being a bit dramatic. You are probably just going through that early adjustment and worrying. It's a shitty time but you are going to be fine. If it helps, make ano appointment to bit I bet you'll be fine by the time you get in to see the GP in 3 weeks or whatever it is.in the UK these days.
An awful lot of people on MN diagnose and advise based on little knowledge, rarely actual medical training. Being a nurse is NOT the same as being a doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now