Aibu about school giving me info that's of no use at all

(19 Posts)
Hamilton13 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:15:58

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood,but I emailed a school for my sister to see what she would need to get in -she's just 16 and moving back to the UK next year it's going to be hard to fit in for the last year after learning differently in another country right? She knows no one here. So I sent a nice email to ask for information saying really any information would be helpful at this time. Any way the reply was when you have a date for moving back contact head office that was it. So aibu replying that's a bit unhelpful but thanks anyway I suppose? I mean does my sister have to be Weeks away from moving to get any info?

HallowedMimic Mon 07-Nov-16 11:20:50

If it's a state school, dates are all you're likely to get. They might have a sixth form prospectus online.

All applications are the same to them, if you qualify, you get in.

Private schools or colleges which are more used to dealing with international students will probably be more expansive, as they want your money.

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Nov-16 11:23:19

If she's not moving for months there's not much they can do. A date would allow them to plan and contacting the main office would allow them to get the right person to speak to you.
This is massive for the school too. I assume she would be joining Y11 and starting GCSEs when classmates started the same course a year ago. Or is she looking to sixth form?

thatdearoctopus Mon 07-Nov-16 11:26:59

What information were you hoping for? Wouldn't their website give you enough information?

TupsNSups Mon 07-Nov-16 11:28:46

It is the local authority you have to apply to, not the actual school.

rollonthesummer Mon 07-Nov-16 11:30:54

There is very little schools can do until the child has a uk address and is moved and ready to start. They can't give you advice on what places they'll have available in 6 weeks/3 months time as they don't know that information yet. What did you want them to say?

FeckinCrutches Mon 07-Nov-16 11:32:32

All the information you need will be on their website surely?

Hamilton13 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:49:03

Well i guess I'm not really sure what it is she'd be going into, does she have to sit sat exams to determine which set she is in for learning? I did GCSEs and left school at 16,but in Scotland is different.what is sixth form? Would she be better doing exams at a college? Does she have to stay until she's 18... I really have no information I was looking to some one who had some answers even just simple ones blush

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Nov-16 11:51:14

Are you in Scotland OP?

InfiniteCurve Mon 07-Nov-16 12:00:44

If she's just 16 and coming next year she'll be 17 and going into 6th form,or to college,apprenticeship,other form of training.You have to be in some form of education til 18.
That really depends on her abilities and what she wants to do - our local 6th firms have online info,which would at least help to see what is available,as do colleges.
A level courses in the schools I know have GCSE based entry requirements,so finding out how the qualifications your sister is obtaining would transfer over might be a good idea.
I would try ringing either school admissions officer or head of sixth form - the worst they can do is tell you to go away again!

InfiniteCurve Mon 07-Nov-16 12:12:42

My comments relate to England.6th form is Yr 12 and 13,if she comes before the new school year next year she would be in Yr11 GCSE year,which I MO would be incredibly difficult for her.

Hamilton13 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:14:59

Ah ha... Very helpful thanks star

Geretrude Mon 07-Nov-16 12:17:44

What qualifications will she have got wherever she is now? Presumably not GCSEs?

Hamilton13 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:21:22

Oh yes I'm in Scotland. I don't think she'll have any exams evem she moves? She's in Canada. I think it will be difficult for her too

Selfimproved Mon 07-Nov-16 12:21:28

In Scotland, she will have a choice whether to go to school or not at this age. A state school will be using their appointments for their existing pupils. Unless they know a pupil is actually going to attend they won't give up time that might be better used on an existing pupil.
Private school is different.
If your sister wants to go to uni she will need Scottish highers. These can be done at school or college.

Whynotnowbaby Mon 07-Nov-16 12:47:43

Well she's going to need some sort of qualifications if she wants to employable in the long term. She doesn't necessarily have to have GCSEs (or the Scottish equivalent) but will probably need a level 2 (GCSE level) qualification in English and Maths. To get this her best bet would probably be to do a college course (could be highers or vocational) and ask to do the English and Maths alongside. They will have retake classes for those who didn't get a C grade the first time round.

I think you would get more information if you rang and had a chat, Hamilton.

We moved from England to Scotland, and had to move the boys into different schools, and when we were in the early stages of planning the move, I was looking at schools in different areas, and I rang several of them and talked to either the Head or a deputy, and I found I got a lot more information that way - and I was able to ask questions, and get clarification far more easily than in an email.

Hamilton13 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:49:09

Thank you everyone! You've all been so helpful

aussiechick01 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:21:48

You could try UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) - it costs money but may give you clarification as to what her Canadian results are equivalent to in the UK so that you can approach colleges armed with info. I had to get my Australian results converted for uni over here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now