to raise this with the teacher ?

(12 Posts)
AlphaBites Sun 06-Nov-16 16:26:56

Incident at school as follows

DC (Yr3) sat at their table and child next to them pointed a sharp implement in dc's face quite close to the eye, dc told them not to do it and started to say something to the TA, and was told "I don't need to know" child did it again, dc then tried to say something and was interrupted again with "I don't need to know' and the child then did stop after this.

I had dc show me what the child djd and I'm a bit annoyed about two things. 1) This was very close to her eye and 2) it was brushed off with "I don't need to know" - I think that's an appalling attitude to have.

How do I say something to the teacher about this ? I have already had words last week about another student who had tripped her up twice but this was reported to the teacher by other pupils and they were aware of it when I said something.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 06-Nov-16 17:37:01

YNBU. I'd call that a safeguarding a well being issue.

Bluntness100 Sun 06-Nov-16 17:42:57

I don't know to be honest, part of me says you need to let them learn to handle these things, to toughen up , you constantly running to teacher isn't going to help your child in the long run. It's really not. The better action is to help uou child understand how to handle the situation and telling teacher isn't always the answer. Sadly.

However we are talking about something sharp, how sharp,,what was it? And could your child have exaggerated how close it was? If not, then there is a safety issue to be resolved.

Lastly, could the teaching assistant have said she didn't need to know because maybe your child,tells a lot? Sorry, I know you won't like that, but sometimes if a kid is overly telling teacher on everything, the teacher or assistant tries to put a stop to it.

As said, I don't know if uou are being unreasonable, but I would say think about it from all angles before you act.

beautifulbizarre Sun 06-Nov-16 17:43:53

No.

That's rude. I would raise that. I wouldn't accept someone speaking to my child like that.

Joz157 Sun 06-Nov-16 17:50:15

I've been a TA in primary and high schools. To be very honest, if I had seen a child do that to another child I would have dealt with it on the spot. Children need to know right from wrong and if something like that is not stopped now then the next time it could be in someones eye either because the child doesn't realize it's dangerous or if another child went past and knocked against the child's arm.

rosy71 Sun 06-Nov-16 17:55:21

What was the sharp implement? The only thing I can think that a Year 3 child would have is a pencil or scissors. How close to the face? It's not really possible to know why the TA said what she did without knowing exactly what happened.

beautifulbizarre Sun 06-Nov-16 17:56:13

I think it is.

Child tries to say something and TA is really fucking rude to her.

Unacceptable.

FelineJustFine Sun 06-Nov-16 17:56:14

The fact DC has been tripped up, and this reported by other kids who have seen it, makes it more important. Bring up the issue of a child being picked on again, but being ignored by a "professional"...

flumpybear Sun 06-Nov-16 18:03:37

Tell your child to speak up and shout 'get that sharp thing away from my eyes ....... miss XYZ...' totally unacceptable

AlphaBites Mon 07-Nov-16 09:04:54

Thanks, I agree children need to learn to a point to ignore other children and aware that running to the teacher at every problem isn't an ideal situation. Initially I did just brush it off cheerily but upon talking to another two parents about how close it was to her eye (a few inches, I had dc show me what happened and I would have been concerned myself if it happened to me) and thought it was worth a mention, especially the brush off.

BabyJakeHatersClub Mon 07-Nov-16 09:43:45

I would absolutely mention it but in a calm manner as there are many unknowns here.

Is your daughter a spuddler? Constantly telling tales?

Was she having a knife held to her eye with a threat or was someone 'not handling scissors correctly'? Perhaps the TA knew the details and thought your daughter was the one who needed guidance. However wonderful your daughter is, she may not always be 100% perfect.

Was your daughter tripped over on purpose or accidentally?

If the teacher is aware of incidents then is it being dealt with (they can tell you if it is, not specifics).

kissmethere Mon 07-Nov-16 09:56:37

Yes raise it with the teacher. I know a child who had a pencil stabbed into the back of their hand. Mum went ballistic and school took appropriate action but it had been threatened and then the child did it. The other child may go too far so I'd definitely raise it. This is primary school btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now