abour horror film?

(11 Posts)
popmimiboo Sun 06-Nov-16 09:22:15

14 year old DD went to a sleepover last night. Just 3 girls, dd, birthday girl and friend 2.
Birthday girl wanted to watch The Conjuring. Her parents said they could, it was really good, not too scary etc and put on the trailer for them.
DD said she didn't mind. Friend 2 called her mum who said she had to come home immediately if they were to watch a horror film! (So they didn't.)

I don't know. I haven't seen The Conjuring. I kind of think birthday parents shouldn't have encouraged it but also think friend's parents were a bit harsh. Jury's out so I'm handing it over to mn smile

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 06-Nov-16 09:29:29

Friend 2 seems to be the one here.
Why did she phone home? Was it a way to avoid saying, I don't enjoy horror films? Or is she still to young to make decisions of her own and knows it?

Hope it didn't break up the party for D and birthday girl?

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sun 06-Nov-16 09:39:39

Well leaving aside the fact that it is a horror, I don't think a 15 would be a good choice for a sleepover when all the girls are under that age (I assume), as you don't know if everyone's parents will be ok with it.

Perhaps friend 2 didn't want to watch it, but didn't feel she could say that? I'm an fully grown adult and would hate to watch something like that! I wouldn't want a fourteen-year-old dd of mine to watch one either. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I can't help feeling that there is something wrong with people who enjoy watching films where people get tortured and murdered and all sorts.

WalterWhitesNipple Sun 06-Nov-16 09:41:18

Bit of an overreaction but not the end if the world

KayTee87 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:42:21

I think friend 2 probably didn't want to watch horror movie but didn't want to say so her parents were the bad guys on her behalf.

KayTee87 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:44:52

And as pp said if the rating is 15 I wouldn't show it to a child under that age without their parents permission anyway.

bruffin Sun 06-Nov-16 09:49:44

Agree with Kaytee. If friend 2 really wanted to watch it she wouldnt have called her parents and they would have non the wiser. have no problem with 14 year old watching a 15, they could be a couple of months off their 15th birthday.
My friends ds regularly rings her up as a get out clause.

DearMrDilkington Sun 06-Nov-16 09:51:12

Friend 2 clearly didn't want to watch the film. Her mum might have just told her to say she wasn't allowed to watch it so friend2 wouldn't have to admit she hates scary films.

popmimiboo Sun 06-Nov-16 10:11:15

True, friend 2 is probably saving face!

14 is a funny age -I tend to trust DD with most decisions and this is one of them, I suppose!

AndNowItsSeven Sun 06-Nov-16 10:22:40

Birthday parents behaved very inappropriately. Friend two was being honest, my dd would do the same. Most 15 horror films aren't suitable for 15 years old let alone 14 year olds. Why would you expose a child to images that can stay with them?

Trifleorbust Sun 06-Nov-16 11:12:55

I think most 14 year olds would cope with moderate horror. It's not illegal for them to watch them, only for them to buy or rent them, which allows for an adult using their discretion. Storm in a teacup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now