Friend's son using drugs? WWYD

(40 Posts)
SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Sun 06-Nov-16 09:20:56

I've known my friend for 12 years, ever since our children started nursery together. We've been very close over the years, although we've not seen so much of each other in the last year or so. Her son is just about to turn 15.

I bumped into one of the other nursery mums a few weeks ago, who told me that friend's son had messaged her daughter (17 yo) asking whether she had any weed (the mum only knows as she has access to her daughter's messenger account, unbeknownst to daughter). The daughter, on the advice of her trainee policeman boyfriend's advice, deleted the message (she'd sent him a screenshot of the message, this is what the mum saw). What, if anything, should I do? How do I let friend know without compromising the other woman's relationship with her daughter?

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 06-Nov-16 09:25:36

Tricky, but I would stay out of it. The only evidence you have is second hand (unless they sent you the screenshot).

This might be a good time to bring up the subject of drugs with your own child, just to keep communication open. We did this with DS1, and he felt comfortable enough to come and tell me the first time he was offered some.

usual Sun 06-Nov-16 09:26:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Palegreenstars Sun 06-Nov-16 09:38:52

You don't know anything apart from that he sent her a message. Stay out of it.

maldini Sun 06-Nov-16 09:40:46

Yeah I agree - first thing to do is tell the 17 year old that her mum is invading her privacy.

DonaldStott Sun 06-Nov-16 09:43:00

the mum only knows as she has access to her daughter's messenger account, unbeknownst to daughter

That is awful!

DelphiniumBlue Sun 06-Nov-16 09:44:32

I expect there's a reason he asked the 17 year old, it wouldn't have been random!
I don't think there's much you can do, you don't know how true it is, or the context.

DearMrDilkington Sun 06-Nov-16 09:45:35

She has access to her 17yr old dds messagesshock! That's going to end well, how disrespectful.

I wouldn't say anything unless you see her ds smoking drugs or have actual proof he uses drugs.

TalkofSummertime Sun 06-Nov-16 09:45:58

Stay well out of it.

ilovesooty Sun 06-Nov-16 09:46:21

I agree. Tell the daughter that her mother is invading her privacy.

DearMrDilkington Sun 06-Nov-16 09:46:24

blue he could be trying to impress some other kids by getting weed for them. Doesn't mean he uses it.

ilovesooty Sun 06-Nov-16 09:47:58

Well perhaps you can't tell her but I'd stay well out of the drug communication.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 06-Nov-16 09:48:09

Stay out of it ,could've been a joke or trying to impress her.

DearMrDilkington Sun 06-Nov-16 10:00:32

Should she not be more concerned that someone was asking her daughter for drugs? Surely she would be known for using them otherwise he wouldn't think to ask her?

FindoGask Sun 06-Nov-16 10:03:03

well, quite. I was a pot-smoking 15 year old (like quite a lot of people, I suspect, I was certainly not alone at my school) and there's no way I'd be going round asking just anyone if they had any weed. There were well-established supply lines.

usual Sun 06-Nov-16 10:08:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pasturesgreen Sun 06-Nov-16 10:08:54

Stay WELL out of it!

Wigglewogglewoo Sun 06-Nov-16 11:16:24

Well first you need to tell the 17 year old girl that her mum is reading her messages. hmm

BowieFan Sun 06-Nov-16 11:38:01

A) Weed is hardly the worst thing in the world
B) Woman should be more worried about her daughter than the lad. From my experience, there were well established people who knew where to get it. I'd imagine 17yo knows where to get it, hence why she was being asked.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 06-Nov-16 11:39:14

No, that's their family business, people shouldn't be telling anyone about messages or drugs. The mum might have very good reason for accessing her daughter's account.

Heidibb Sun 06-Nov-16 11:48:02

The mum might have very good reason for accessing her daughter's account.

At 17 and without her knowledge? I really don't think so.

ilovesooty Sun 06-Nov-16 12:01:50

I can't see that it can be right for mum to access 17 year old's messages, for friend to know about it and daughter not to know she's being monitored.

Sandybum Sun 06-Nov-16 12:11:10

What a fucking busybody the other mum is! Spying on her almost ADULT daughter's private messages sent to her boyfriend and then gossiping about it!

Fanfeck Sun 06-Nov-16 13:16:43

I bet she forwarded it to the trainee policeman boyfriend because he could sort it!

Fanfeck Sun 06-Nov-16 13:17:14

And that she deleted it because it incriminated HER bit the 15 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now