Bloody thermometers giving inaccurate readings

(6 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sat 05-Nov-16 17:30:23

Aibu to think that there is no such thing as an accurate thermometer? Since having my first baby 3 years ago we have gone through 4 shit digital thermometers that have given wildly inaccurate readings. Our latest is a Braun Thermoscan that cost almost £60 and gives readings with a 4 degree difference in the space of a few seconds. Ffs.

The last time I had dd at the walk in clinic the doctor was using an underarm one which gave a reading of 35.4 when she was burning up hmm

Is there actually a thermometer that is relatively reliable or am I just throwing good money after bad?

Witchend Sat 05-Nov-16 17:52:14

I find my old under the tongue one is very accurate.

However the in-the-ear one seems to be more accurate under the tongue than in the ear. grin

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sat 05-Nov-16 17:55:01

Yanbu I totally agree. I have two children and like you I find that all our competitive market economy can offer us is expensive equipment that cannot take a simple measurement.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Sat 05-Nov-16 17:57:39

I work on a children's ward and we use digital under arm ones. Ear ones can depend on the angle and having wax in your ear. The most accurate place is up your bum! grin

nannynick Sat 05-Nov-16 18:00:12

Wonder if thermal cameras will ever be cheap enough to be used. FLIR One is still a bit costly. http://www.flir.co.uk/flirone/ios-android/

helpimitchy Sat 05-Nov-16 18:59:41

We still use the old fashioned mercury type.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now