Private Tenant - Damage Due To Leaky Boiler

(14 Posts)
Vulty Sat 05-Nov-16 15:05:15

I am fuming.

Moved into this flat around 3-4 months ago the boiler was newly fitted before I moved in. I had actually made another thread about how my bath is broken and listed all repairs needing done.
I noticed this week my boiler is leaking, however today I am doing bulk laundry and have discovered mould on a lot of things. A dress my DD has only had one once, was not cheap. Kingsize bedding, sheets the lot. All needing thrown out. I have tried bleach and vanish. I haven't been all that well recently and wondering if the mould has been causing this as well.
I am so angry, Wibu to go nuts over this? Could I be compensated?

antimatter Sat 05-Nov-16 15:06:45

Where do you keep your laundry?

greatbigwho Sat 05-Nov-16 15:08:35

Unless you reported it to the landlord and he didn't do anything, or you have proof he knew about it and ignored it, I don't think you can ask for compensation, it's something you would need to claim off your insurance for.

Vulty Sat 05-Nov-16 15:13:39

I keep laundry in baskets in the cupboard where the boiler is, but I put things weren't priority behind the baskets and they got soaked. I have emailed about repairs and waiting on a reply.

SugarNspiceNallThingsNice Sat 05-Nov-16 15:25:49

If your landlord is anything like mine that email could go unseen, could you give him a call? Have you stopped the leak? I would expect him to at least get a plumber round to stop any further damage being done

Vulty Sat 05-Nov-16 15:36:56

The aren't open on a Saturday, it's an agent. I know this because I got locked out a few weeks back and had to break in because I couldn't get hold of anyone.I'll see what I can do just now. I don't have insurance or anything, the bed sheets can be replaced I'm more angry about my little girls dress sad

Hopefully with this the repairs he DID know about get done.

MatildaTheCat Sat 05-Nov-16 16:03:52

If it is a new boiler then the fitter is at fault probably. Tell the LL and request that they seek compensation from the fitter. I doubt you will get anywhere because these things are very difficult to prove. Have you tried a mildew removal product? If the items are ruined you can't really damage them any further so worth a try?

thecatneuterer Sat 05-Nov-16 16:12:18

If you only noticed this week that the boiler is leaking then you can really say that it's the LL's fault for not getting it fixed soon enough. I'd be very surprised if you could get any sort of compensation for that.

And of course if you had noticed earlier then you would presumably have moved your clothes anyway, so delay still couldn't really be blamed for the clothes being damaged.

Vulty Sat 05-Nov-16 16:12:30

I'll do a Google search, see what I can find! Thank you for listening to my rant people! All calm now.

ItsJustNotRight Sat 05-Nov-16 16:26:34

www.cleanipedia.com/gb/laundry-washing/how-to-remove-mould-and-mildew-from-clothes

Wauden Sat 05-Nov-16 17:14:06

Sorry about the dress. If the landlord did not know, and you only found out recently, then the landlord could not have fixed it. Now that he does he needs to sort it asap.

Vulty Tue 15-Nov-16 17:03:06

Wee update. The boiler is fixed the guy didn't bother to attach a small piece of plastic pipe to another pipe that should lead outside for drainage. I'm furious that someone could be so lazy. The small bit of pipe was attached too nothing with water pouring out it.

Fidelia Tue 15-Nov-16 17:10:25

Sound like you have a good landlord if it got fixed so quickly!

Vulty Tue 15-Nov-16 17:45:13

The landlords agent is a gem, gets stuff done as soon as he can. The landlord himself is terrible he stays in Ibiza. Won't put money to anything if he can help it. Agents own words, he doesn't like him. Agent tried to get him to fit a new kitchen and he was not for having it. I didn't think it was as bad as it was til I moved out, swollen worktops from water damage etc. It doesn't bother me right enough as I'm hoping to be out of here asap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now