Aibu to be worried about this wound/scarring?

(4 Posts)
PercyPeanuts Thu 03-Nov-16 21:49:00

I know this is a very minor problem in the scheme of things but... My 5 year old had an accident a week ago resulting in a deep cut to her chin. It was all patched up at A&E who opted for steri strips rather than stitches to try and minimise the scarring...

A week later, so far so good. The wound is healing and most of the steri strips have come off.

Unfortunately, someone who was looking after my daughter today - and only trying to be helpful I know - re-applied a steri strip but straight across the healing wound rather than horizontally... Because of the adhesive I was going to leave it until the morning and soak it off with warm water. Unfortunately my husband came home, saw it had been put on incorrectly and peeled it straight off without soaking it first. Inevitably this has pulled off the scab that was starting to form and caused the wound to bleed again.

I've put some more steri strips on - correctly - but I'm really concerned that we've set back the healing and very likely increased the severity of the scarring... Am I being unreasonable to worry about this?!

Also, any top tips on how to manage it gratefully received. Thanks.

user1477282676 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:46:18

It will be fine! She's only small...her face is growing and the skin will stretch well beyond that scar showing.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 03-Nov-16 23:05:14

It may scar, it may not. But I would say that absolutely the most important thing is not to make a big issue of it to your daughter.

My daughter split her chin open when she was about twelve. She had it stitched up in the operating theatre by a plastic surgeon but she has a raised scar about 3 cm long. Doctors have said it is best left alone for fear of it becoming keloid.

We have always taken the line, "Yes you have a scar, so what, you are gorgeous anyway" and not made any kind of issue of it. She is very confident about how she looks and doesn't have any kind of hangup about it.

PercyPeanuts Fri 04-Nov-16 23:29:34

Thank you both, it has helped me get a bit of perspective - it is far from the end of the world either way.

We are certainly not making a big deal of it and I entirely agree about that. I think much of what I'm feeling is guilt about the accident. I was standing right by her and yet failed to break her fall... I guess these things happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now