To think I don't need anti depressants and my problem is hormonal

(17 Posts)
LeopardPrintSocks1 Thu 03-Nov-16 14:04:41

Since I stopped breastfeeding I have been quite down and anxious. I have a 9 month old and 4 year old.

Leading up to my period (that returned 6 weeks pp) I'm very quick to lose my temper, I can shout over little things and feel very down and dark.

I went to my doctors as I didn't like who I had become. He prescribed sertraline and enrolled me for therapy which starts next week.

I haven't taken the pills yet as I'm hesitant that my problem is hormonal. I looked up John Studd's treatement of pnd and pmdd and he uses oestrogen therapy as most.women are lacking in it which causes low mood.

Has anyone been through this? I want to go back to my gp and try it first.before going on ads. Please.help

baconandeggies Thu 03-Nov-16 14:12:20

If it's mainly just leading up to your period maybe it's PMT / PMS you should be treated for rather than PND? Though both can be influenced by oestrogen levels...

If you're not 100% comfortable with the ADs go back and discuss of course that's ok. It's your choice. Be aware that you may have researched more about oestrogen and low mood than they have, though!

LeopardPrintSocks1 Thu 03-Nov-16 14:15:18

I'm sure I have! I might be asked to be referred to to the hormone clinic instead.

It's after ovulation that I get v down and during and after my period so a lot of the month really! I just want to feel myself again and not be so down and short tempered. I split with my P a few weeks ago and I'm sure my mood didn't help.

But then I'm also terribly sleep deprived with my baby waking lots. So maybe it's just that too. It just feels very hormonally charged.

Skittlesss Thu 03-Nov-16 14:25:46

It's definitely worth getting checked out.

Please don't take this the wrong way though... I am on ADs and at first I was trying to blame my feelings on something other than depression and therefore I wouldn't need the medication. I even thought it was my coil and at one point tried (very unsuccessfully) to remove it (they defo need that stick to get it in btw). I've now accepted I need the meds at this moment in time and am starting to feel better. I think I was just scared to admit I was depressed.

Take care and be kind to yourself. You're going through a hard time!!

BillSykesDog Thu 03-Nov-16 14:29:11

Do you think it might be worth taking the ADs while you wait for a referral? They do help. And depression has lots of causes including chemical and hormonal imbalances. Just because it has a hormonal route doesn't mean it's not depression. It doesn't have to be one or the other IYSWIM. I'm taking ADs after having twins and they are a godsend and really have helped.

LeopardPrintSocks1 Thu 03-Nov-16 14:33:23

I'm not against anti depressants but if it's a hormonal thing wouldn't it be better to treat that. I find anti depressants daunting to be honest even though I've heard good things about it.

I saw thread on here the other day and people were slating the one I got which scared me but then I had a lovely pm from someone saying how much they had helped her. Torn.

debbs77 Thu 03-Nov-16 14:46:42

Ha exactly you tried a progesterone only contraception pill! That made loads of difference to me x

Trojanhorsebox Thu 03-Nov-16 14:49:42

By all means go back to your GP if you're not happy with the advice you've been given. Keep a diary of your mood to show the GP if you like, to show how it's related to your cycle.

However, antidepressants, particularly SSRIs, of which sertraline is one, are a legitimate treatment for PMS/PMDD if that is indeed what you have, - I work in health care, but a quick google will take you to the Mayo clinic site and tell you this. Or maybe the GP is thinking about postnatal depression, given the age of your youngest child. The Royal College of Psychiatrists website does good patient information leaflets too that are free to access. This is not my area of expertise but either of those sources are reputable I think.

If you're sleep deprived, looking after 2 young kids and have split with your partner - you've got a lot going on at the moment and it does sound as if the GP is trying to help if they've prescribed meds and referred you for counselling. So go back, update the GP, discuss the options and let them work with you to improve things. Do you have a good health visitor?

Good luck - I hope things improve for you.

LeopardPrintSocks1 Thu 03-Nov-16 14:53:09

Thank you. That's true the leaflet did say for pnd and pmdd.

My health visitor is lovely and comes and checks on me

bobbinpop Thu 03-Nov-16 14:55:54

I take citalopram for a week a month for pmdd. It got worse after I stopped bf too! It worked absolute wonders; I used to feel depressed, dark, empty and get extremely angry. Not on it at the moment as have a new dd but I'll be back on it when it's needed! Definitely worth a try.

Neefs Thu 03-Nov-16 14:57:20

Go back to your GP, ask for blood tests for hormones. IME this is not uncommon, women with hormonal problems being prescribed AD. There is definitely a place for those meds, not against them, but as someone said AD won't treat hormonal imbalance.

I had an ongoing discussion with my own GP a few years back after DS2 - I had similar issues to you; my GP offered BCP or AD. I refused both, went privately and found that my thyroid and adrenal (stress) hormones were off the bottom of the scale. Addressing these issues (over time with nutrition and lifestyle changes) helped and I got better.

I would go back to the GP and ask for more blood tests. It could be that you do need AD but if you don't and it is hormonal you'll be taking medication unnecessarily and your hormone imbalance (if it is that ) won't be addressed.

AllBellyandBoobs Thu 03-Nov-16 14:58:49

I had similar issues after my period returned following birth of dc2. I had almost uncontrollable rage leading up to my period and then very heavy periods lasting over a week, flooding, the works. My GP put me on Cerazette (progesterone only) and it has really helped

NetHag Thu 03-Nov-16 14:59:32

ADs have massively improved my severe PMT-related depression.

SSRIs are commonly used for this.

Careforadrink Thu 03-Nov-16 18:18:49

Definitely get your thyroid tested. I was diagnosed with PND and it wasn't anything of the sort. Post partum thyroid problems are ridiculously undiagnosed.

LeopardPrintSocks1 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:12:50

I've been reading about that too. Will ask for a test to rule out

Silverstreaks Thu 03-Nov-16 22:16:30

Definitely get your hormones hacked. Be aware that the normal hormone range is a large one. So don't be fobbed off with being told your results are normal. Find out the numbers and where they fall on the scale.
Estrodot was very useful for me, it's a plant based rather than horse urine based.

It's also worth consulting a medical herbalist. They'll listen to you.

Silverstreaks Thu 03-Nov-16 22:17:16

*hacked = checked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now