Keep or send back cards?!

(10 Posts)
StarBears Wed 02-Nov-16 13:48:02

I ordered a bunch of Pokemon cards online (UK seller) for my DS (age 7). They were a good price but I figured they might be excess stock/package damaged/personal collection being sold etc, as they were a bundle not individual packets.

They have arrived and to me they don't look completely authentic. I can see some differences in them and his other Pokemon cards. I'm not sure if thats just production processes or not, but I think not.

DS has been anxiously awaiting their arrival and he knows it would be today/tomorrow. He paid for them with his pocket money. Should I just give them to him knowing they don't seem "quite right" because he just wants "the volume" of cards and probably won't notice the differences? He is sometimes careless with the cards and they are pretty expensive, so a part of me thinks these cards will just go in the mix, and it's a fad that he might drop in a week or two so why not bulk up with cheapies?

Or should I return them on the basis they might not be genuine and get money back etc? WWYD?

golfbuggy Wed 02-Nov-16 13:52:25

Give them to DS and see if he notices/cares.
If the seller is selling fake cards and pretending they are genuine, I suspect you may be struggling to get your money back in any case.

StarBears Wed 02-Nov-16 13:56:40

Thanks golf

Sometimes DS does trades with his friends, I would feel bad for him if his friends spot that DS has fakes in his collection! I'm not sure they would know (being 7) but it would still be a bit cringe.

Smartieskid Wed 02-Nov-16 14:10:24

I would return as the thought of him swapping and another mum realising there fake isn't worth it

StarBears Wed 02-Nov-16 14:15:38

Thanks smartieskid

I think so too, even though I'm thinking "but cheap!" I would feel guilty knowing they are just not quite right. I think there's a chance DS would notice the difference eventually and ask why they are slightly different. I would feel bad lying to him about it "they are very special ones made in a different factory!" No. I should actually just use the opportunity to educate him on what fakes are.

Smartieskid Wed 02-Nov-16 15:13:16

It's ok I just no how he would feel when his friends are demanding there's back off him if they realise there fake to better teach him now www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Is-my-POKEMON-Card-real-or-FAKE-/10000000177643042/g.html here's a guide for a quick check

BarryTheKestrel Wed 02-Nov-16 15:29:12

It is illegal to send known counterfeit items via royal mail so if you are certain they are fake do not send them back, just request a refund.

jellypopmummy Wed 02-Nov-16 15:42:47

If it is through the place that begins with 'e' raise a refund request, you are protected and if they have not been advertised as copies/fakes then you have grounds.

If there is a game shop nearby you could get them checked, they would know on sight what to look for, even for peace of mind.
I had bought some charms and was worried and took them to Pandora, turned out fine but if you are able get a second opinion smile

SistersOfPercy Wed 02-Nov-16 16:10:09

It is illegal to send known counterfeit items via royal mail so if you are certain they are fake do not send them back, just request a refund

Not that simple. If you file a counterfeit claim PayPal will expect you to prove it. To do that you'll need some kind of written proof from the manufacturer that it is indeed fake. Now, it's not as difficult for things like perfume or handbags as shops are sometimes willing to be helpful. I have no idea how you'd go about proving a fake card.

I'd suggest filing a 'not as described' case instead. Yes, you'll probably have to send them back but the return postage will be paid for.

StarBears Wed 02-Nov-16 16:20:27

Thanks for the tips & info all! Very useful. I have emailed the seller to say they didn't look as authentic as other cards & would like refund (didn't use the fake word in case the ask for proof of fakery). Will wait & see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now