To have wellies as winter boots

(13 Posts)
igotnotimeforthis Wed 02-Nov-16 13:30:54

I'm thinking lined wellies (like Aigle Gibulee) for both DS's for winter. Will these be warm enough ( in north or Scotland)?
What type of winter boots do you have for your kids?
I want something light and waterproof as well as warm, so far the Aigle ones seem to tick all boxes IF they really are warm...

ArchibaldsDaddy Wed 02-Nov-16 19:53:29

The trouble with wellies is that the cold can go through the soles and they are often a little uncomfortable for little ones. We use fleece-lined ankle boots and thick wooly socks. Also, it's worth ensuring that hands and head are well covered as this is where heat is lost from.

AGrinWithoutACat Wed 02-Nov-16 21:40:44

North Scotland here, DD1 and DS 12 & 10) both used wellies with wellie socks last winter happily and will be this winter as well

Thefishewife Wed 02-Nov-16 21:42:25

You have to get water proof winter boots

Wellies even lined ones will get cold into your feet

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 02-Nov-16 21:44:35

I always got cold, wet feet in wellies as a kid.

Get something properly warm, fully lined and waterproof - wellies aren't fitted enough imo.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Wed 02-Nov-16 21:55:41

Depends what you want them for. Going out when it is absolutely teaming it down, snowy or walking across muddy fields: fair enough. As day to day wear, no they'd be bloody cold and uncomfortable and look ridiculous.

How old are they? I wouldn't have worn something like that after the age of 8 or so. Also I can imagine a kid turning up to parties/other kids' houses in Wellies in dry weather would have the piss ripped out of them by their peers.

Mindtrope Wed 02-Nov-16 21:57:10

We need both ( Scotland) warm waterproof ankle boots, but wellies are needed sometimes if snow is deeper, then worn with warm socks. But no-one would go out walking far when the snow is deep anyway, just a quick trip to the shops or kids makings snowmen.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Wed 02-Nov-16 22:01:33

And I live in Scotland and wear leather waterproof ankle hiking style boots in winter with ski socks in the winter and they do me fine.

But I don't go building snowmen or jumping in puddles etc.

thisisbloodyridiculous Wed 02-Nov-16 23:09:43

I'm a dog walker and aigle parcours plus thermal socks equal toasty toes even in snow!

NoMudNoLotus Wed 02-Nov-16 23:23:17

OP....

Both my DC had these last winter.

Come Spring I literally had to prise my DC away from them.

They loved them!!

I am NOT buying them proper boots this year again - they will have Aigle . So toasty, waterproof & warm - in fact I'm ditching normal boots for Aigle this winter.

SummerSazz Wed 02-Nov-16 23:25:22

We get snow boots from tkmaxx. Dd1's last year were Helly Hansen for £15

Rainbunny Wed 02-Nov-16 23:37:53

I always wear Bogs - they are insanely warm and insulated so they're great for extreme cold/snow etc...

www.bogsfootwear.co.uk/shop/womens-boots-slip-on-shoes

igotnotimeforthis Thu 03-Nov-16 23:42:06

Thanks!
Mixed opinions.
I do have other shoes for them too - trekking shoes ankle height and boots that are ok in dry weather, but neither are waterproof.
Last year DS has mountain warehouse eimter boots, that were meant to be waterproof but weren't actually. I was constantly keeping him away from puddles (and that's hard to do with a 3yo)
I think getting wet feet will more likely get you cold than lined wellies.
I hope I'm right as I ordered the Aigle Gibulees for both DS 's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now