AIBU To Leave Nursery

(17 Posts)
Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:28:37

DD has been at Nursery since she was 3.5 m/o, she is now 1y/o. Last week Nursery announced that they have changed their pricing structure which will come into affect in January. Most parents aren't looking at much of an increase but we are in the minority who will be looking at a £500 a year increase. They cited several reasons for the change including renovating the rooms, paying a fair wage to staff and re-branding. I was abe to accept this as DD loves the people at Nursery and the set up works for us.
When I dropped DD of this morning I found out that all bar one of my favourite members of staff have handed in their notice and will be leaving over the next few weeks. They have told me it is due to either not being paid enough or constantly being underpaid. Two of the staff members who are leaving are my DDs key worker and room leader. There have been a lot of staff changes in the 8 months DD has been at Nursery but these staff members have always been there so I felt like she had people around her who know her well.
We are moving house in a few weeks so I am not going to make a rash decision but AIBU to take DD out of Nursery and go to a childminder near our new house instead?

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Wed 02-Nov-16 13:30:24

So less than a tenner a week increase?

If you're not happy with the staffing, then you should absolutely find somewhere that you're keen on.

But there is a link between customers being asked to pay more and staff leaving due to being underpaid....

Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:33:52

TheWrath Yes, I'm not bothered about the price increase but feel it is relevant because they are saying that the need to increase fees to pay staff.

I love the current staff (the ones who are always there) but it seems like nearly all of them will be leaving before Christmas.

I just don't know if IABU to leave because of this or if I should give the new staff a chance first.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Wed 02-Nov-16 13:42:54

Well, one of two things could happen.

The staff who intend to leave will stay, based on a potential wage increase.

Or, the new staff will be better quality/qualified as befits the higher wage.

Either way, it could work out for the best. If the nursery is generally good and your child is happy there, I'd wait it out.

Them getting used to new people is an inescapable fact of life.

SpunkyMummy Wed 02-Nov-16 13:43:07

Yes, if you don't like the staff you should definitely leave.

Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:55:49

TheWrath This is what I was thinking but I am torn because I don't think it will be the same without the staff that are leaving. DD adores her key worker and they have a fantastic relationship.

I could be missing a bit of the story having only heard the staff's point of view but I feel like if there are that many (at least 4) members of staff leaving at the same time it is going to upset everything at nursery for a while until they are replaced.

SpunkyMummy I don't know if I won't like the staff though.

Timeforabiscuit Wed 02-Nov-16 14:01:23

I would say that the management are the key here, it sounds like theyre a bunch of idiots if their well liked and respected staff up sticks due to pay and then they react by upping fees next year.

I'd be wary that they wouldn't be able to recruit or retain the best staff and would be looking at other options, but perhaps wait until after the house move so that there arent two massive changes for your daughter?

Dontpanicpyke Wed 02-Nov-16 14:06:30

I would wait until you see how the new staff are.

Your ds is starting school soon? Why make a change when she might love the new workers?

Also when she's at school staff turn over and job shares are commen so it's not a bad thing for her to embrace and experience changes.

NickyEds Wed 02-Nov-16 14:07:52

I'd wait until after the move and then find a childminder. As pp says the management that has led to this situation would worry me.

insancerre Wed 02-Nov-16 14:10:07

I don't think it's very professional of the staff to discuss the wages situation with the parents

Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 14:12:37

Timeforabiscuit I know what you mean, I think they have really messed up to lose that many staff at the same time. I did ask them if maybe there was a payrise in the pipeline considering the rise in fees and they said that they hadn't had any offers. TBH they sound like they are at the end of their teather with it and they just want out.

We move at the end of November so maybe I will see how things are when she goes back after Christmas and all of the new staff are there.

Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 14:14:51

Dontpanicpyke I think you are right I should give the new staff a chance.

DD is 1 so not starting school for a while yet.

Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 14:18:38

insancerre I agree with you but the staff I spoke to I am particularly close with. They are much more informal with me than the other parents but I think that has a lot to do with the way I am with them. I would prefer to have a fun and open relationship with the people who are caring for my DD.

OlennasWimple Wed 02-Nov-16 14:27:07

Is the CM nearer the new house, so more convenient after the move?

Would the CM be an option for after school when she starts (presumably) next year? So you might make the change now but have continuity from there onwards?

Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 14:37:22

Sorry I think my OP is unclear DD started nursery at 3.5 months she is now 1 year old so won't be starting school for a few years.

Nursery is near my work but CM would be near the new house. It probably wouldn't make much difference convienience wise but may be a little cheaper.

birdsdestiny Wed 02-Nov-16 15:36:24

Sorry but I would have concerns about staff who talk to some parents about these issues and not others. That sounds even more unprofessional than telling everyone why they are leaving!

Vix17 Wed 02-Nov-16 15:43:17

birdsdestiny how so? I just thought they were confiding in me because we are very friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now