To think this is a bit Big Brother-esque?

(11 Posts)
Spudlet Wed 02-Nov-16 06:00:29

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/02/admiral-to-price-car-insurance-based-on-facebook-posts

For those who don't want to read, Admiral are planning to offer quotes for car insurance based on personality traits which they will identify through Facebook posts. Things like using lots of exclamation marks will lose you points, while things like making concrete plans to meet friends (specifying time and place as opposed to just 'later') will gain them. They say it's for young drivers who haven't been able to get a no claims bonus yet.

It's voluntary... for now. But it doesn't sit right with me at all. Yes, the internet is public, yes, you should assume your Facebook posts will be seen. But I'm still not comfortable with the idea of a company analysing your posts in order to determine your personality.

I think it's probably a gimmick that will vanish - this time. But AIBU to think this is where we're heading - and to really not like it?

amysmummy12345 Wed 02-Nov-16 06:02:59

I'd be fucked, I over use exclamation marks like they're going out of fashion!!!! 😂

flamencina Wed 02-Nov-16 06:08:18

I think making time and date plans on the Internet should lose you points as it could be argued you're not taking steps to protect your personal safety.

I always make firm plans with my friends, just not on Facebook.

Spudlet Wed 02-Nov-16 06:20:58

Absolutely, I never put details like that on my timeline!

Oops, an exclamation mark... that's me marked down then hmm

user1471545174 Wed 02-Nov-16 06:22:11

How will they price quotes for people not on Facebook?

I agree OP, it's a bit scary and does seem like where we are heading.

AristotlesTrousers Wed 02-Nov-16 06:32:44

But surely they can only use this info if your Facebook is set to public, so if your settings are tight then they won't see your posts? (Not that they should be using info like that anyway, if you ask me. It's up to the individual how public/private they want their FB to be.)

FruJustFru Wed 02-Nov-16 06:41:00

I wonder if this is one of JustineMumsnet's ideas - in her role as a non-executive director of Admiral www.insurancebusinessmag.com/uk/news/breaking-news/mumsnet-ceo-joins-admiral-board-33805.aspx?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops!!!!!!!!

Spudlet Wed 02-Nov-16 06:59:29

Oh blimey, that's my car insurance gone up by 500% next year then grin

FruJustFru Wed 02-Nov-16 08:43:09

Let's hope they don't count the use of smileys grin wink grin

Liiinoo Wed 02-Nov-16 08:46:10

Or these wine wine wine

FruJustFru Wed 02-Nov-16 18:52:53

Oh ho ho ho www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37847647 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now