To think people shouldn't DO this!? Walking right by my fence?

(34 Posts)
user1477282676 Tue 01-Nov-16 22:59:36

For background, my garden backs onto a golf course. It's not a popular course and hardly anyone uses it....on the weekend it's busier but during the week it's more or less given over to ramblers and dog walkers.

My garden is about half an acre and the fence at the back is about 4 feet tall and wire so you can see over and through it. On the golf course side, the land is very scrubby, lots of trees, bushes and undergrowth by my fence and then beyond is all the nice green grass and trees.

People walk along the fence line of all the houses here....basically they avoid the nice open area which is by the way perfectly safe....in order to "hug" the fences and follow them.

As they pass by they stare in my garden, causing the dog to go nuts.

Is it rude? Shouldn't they back off a bit? I would get a bigger fence but this place is rented and I don't want to spend a load of money on it....

They have a whole, massive beautiful open area and yet choose to walk through loads of fallen branches, prickles and shrubs in order to look in the gardens? confused

leanback Tue 01-Nov-16 23:01:34

Yabu

SailingThroughTime Tue 01-Nov-16 23:02:36

If they're not trespassing then you can't stop them walking there. You'll have to think about shielding their view of the garden and find a way to not let it get to you.

GladAllOver Tue 01-Nov-16 23:02:54

YABU.
They are quite entitled to walk on that side, just as you are entitled to walk on your side of it and look into the golf course.

CremeBrulee Tue 01-Nov-16 23:03:43

Get orf my land! Oh, hang on, it's not your land is it? It's a public right of way therefore YABU.

kilmuir Tue 01-Nov-16 23:04:04

Yabu

WatchingFromTheWings Tue 01-Nov-16 23:05:07

YABU. So long as they're not on your side they can be as close to the other side as they like.

m0therofdragons Tue 01-Nov-16 23:05:22

Presumably they're avoiding the greens on the golf course. If their dogs ran over them and pooed in the bunker the grounds people would go nuts. Generally, rambling and dog walking is not allowed on golf courses so yabu

Meadows76 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:06:42

Lol. It's par for the course (excuse that double pun) for people walking round vast open arespas to walk the perimeter and stick close to dances etc

FadedRed Tue 01-Nov-16 23:06:55

You could put some of that bamboo screening up, attached by wire to the existing fence. The stuff that is so popular on gardening programmes. Relatively inexpensive and you can take it with you when you leave.

user1477282676 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:07:31

Mother no as I said it's not really used as a golf course...dogs run all over it all the time.

I get that I am BU though. I'll have to look at getting some of that bamboo stuff on a roll to hide us a bit.

I would never gormlessly stare into someone's garden as I passed! It's quite a long garden and there's ages until they pass...so they're there....looking....the whole time!

IMissGrannyW Tue 01-Nov-16 23:11:44

I assume they're trying to minimise the risk of being hit by a random golf ball???

I stare too. From the street (I am that brazen) Bloody love houses without curtains and blinds. I like a good gawp. Prefer a living room or kitchen to a garden, but I'll rubber-neck at anything.

If it offends you, or takes away your privacy, or if you're doing things you don't want strangers to see, find a way of blocking off the view (hanging a curtain off one of the trees???) I'm sure there are ways of doing it which aren't expensive for you.

Pallisers Tue 01-Nov-16 23:14:02

If your garden is that big why not build up trees/shrubs etc at the back bit so you have privacy and the dogs are less likely to go nuts?

I love looking into other people's houses and gardens. Americans rarely pull their curtains. love bringing the dog for a walk at night smile

FerretFred Tue 01-Nov-16 23:21:44

As my mum used to say. 'A cat can look at a queen!'

SerendipityPhenomenon Tue 01-Nov-16 23:26:06

If you choose to have a dog that can't cope with people looking into the garden, I'm afraid you will have to suck it up.

user1477282676 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:26:38

Pallisers It's a rental....I can't spend that kind of money on it.

I wouldn't mind so much if the bloody dog didn't get so upset. And then there are the people who think it's fine to stick their hand through the fence whilst my enormous Maremma barks at them! He doesn't bite but WHY would they do that?

legotits Tue 01-Nov-16 23:27:31

YABU

However!

If it's the same dog walkers who pass my fence and have the cheek to do Exaggerated Tutting because I am having a joint at the top of my own garden and they happen to like walking around the edge of the field.....YANBU.

MessezFaire Tue 01-Nov-16 23:29:33

Train your dog.

user1477282676 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:31:32

Messez I am but he's still a puppy and while I do take every care not to let him be a nuisance, it's just so bloody irritating that these people do this. If they don't look so hard, he's not bothered...it's when he sees them staring in.

People who walk past not so close, don't cause him to bark....he's still learning what's a threat and what's ok...and to be frank, I can't wait till I get some bamboo now...I'm sick of rushing out to stop him.

Benedikte2 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:32:47

Erect a modesty fence. Put in a few posts and then fix that bamboo stuff you mentioned to the posts. The screen should be at eye level -- it is surprisingly difficult to peer under it and so completely blocks the view.
If the area beyond your fence isn't actively gardened plant some prickly shrubs there such as holly, or anything cheap to discourage walkers.

PortiaCastis Tue 01-Nov-16 23:34:22

Put screening fencing up then nobody will see your pooch

RB68 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:35:35

Dog is doing its job and warning you of passers by. But you do need something to tell it to stop - a friend has the same issue and uses a whistle when the dog barks - she can look out window to check situation then uses the whistle to stop him barking. I would go with the bamboo roll but it won't stop the barking but may stop the peering in

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 01-Nov-16 23:37:07

Get some man traps.

That'll stop the fuckers.

user1477282676 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:37:46

RB68 that's what a man passing told me...he said "Oh you can't blame him..." but the whistle thing didn't work on him and nor does telling him to sit.

He sits when I tell him to if he's NOT engaged in barking. If he's having a little tantrum as people pass by, I have to go right up to him and pat him and tell him "It's fine...they're just having a walk" and then he stops.

user1477282676 Tue 01-Nov-16 23:38:33

Joffers can you recommend a good brand of man trap then please? When I've collected quite a few, I could just throw the remains to the dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now