Too harsh?

(10 Posts)
porridge90 Mon 31-Oct-16 19:21:16

My house isn't decorated, I don't have pumpkins out or anything like that so it doesn't look particularly 'inviting' but I did buy a few little sweets just in case.

Was mid bedtime story with my toddler when the door went so I ignored it. A few seconds later they banged on the door again, loudly. Same group as I could hear them talking, again I ignored it. A few seconds later they bang again and start shouting through my letterbox! I'm furious at this point so I went downstairs, opened the door and there's 4 young teens and a little boy of about five.

I told them I didn't appreciate them banging and shouting, knock once and if no one answers move on. Don't shout through letterboxes they scared my toddler. The teens immediately pointed at the little boy and said it was him.

He asked for sweets so I grumpily let him have one and shut the door on the teens.

Too harsh? Feeling guilty now.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 31-Oct-16 19:26:08

Yanbu

If you knock and someone doesn't answer, you assume they won't and you move on

If teens are supposed to be responsible for the little one they should have got him to behave (and not blamed him for their own behaviour).

Dontpanicpyke Mon 31-Oct-16 19:29:48

Teens shouldn't be behaving like this. I would be mad too

ImSoVeryTired Mon 31-Oct-16 19:29:49

I don't think so but then I have an 8mth old and would be pretty pissed off if trick or treaters woke him up. Thankfully the only people who knocked (I think, didn't hear the knock, just the dog barking) came at story time and didn't hang around, when we didn't answer. OH refuses to answer the door to them. He is celebrating Halloween by fixing a secondary glazing panel in our living room window. hmm
I would normally celebrate but I'm not going to encourage knocking on the door, when it's directly below babies room.

HereIAm20 Mon 31-Oct-16 19:32:49

Round our way there is an unwritten rule to only knock at the houses with a pumpkin outside so that it doesn't interrupt people or scare people etc.

In fact I have had to bring ours in after one and a half hours as we ran out of treats despite buying 2 massive bags!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 31-Oct-16 19:36:35

I was about to say YWBH, untill I got to the part where they were shouting through the letter box. The rude bleedin blighters

MrsNuckyThompson Mon 31-Oct-16 19:46:29

Same as a PP. Round here you don't knock or ring at a house without a pumpkin or other decorations. Means that those not interested (or with babies to think about) aren't bothered and it makes it a more pleasant experience for the kids (as all houses they knock at give them something!).

It's actually part of the fun, pumpkin spotting!

YelloDraw Mon 31-Oct-16 19:48:21

Shouldn't have given them anything - the teens were doing a terrible job of looking after the little boy.

SauvignonBlanche Mon 31-Oct-16 19:56:18

It's a pumpkin rule here too.

Topseyt Mon 31-Oct-16 20:06:08

Pumpkin rule applies here too. I didn't do one and apart from one knock on the door (which I totally ignored) we haven't been bothered.

I would not have given him a sweet at all. Rude, entitled twats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now