Halloween decorations - hanging man

(18 Posts)
9troubledwaters Mon 31-Oct-16 16:46:38

My neighbour has two life sized mannequins hanging by theirs necks from the windows as Halloween decorations confusedconfusedconfused

Aibu to think that's distasteful? I may be a bit sensitive because my uncle hung himself (20 years ago) but even so.

Am I just being a grump?

megletthesecond Mon 31-Oct-16 16:48:36

That would annoy me too. Yanbu.

Babyroobs Mon 31-Oct-16 16:52:28

YANBU. As someone who has lost 2 friends through hanging in the past few years I too would find it distasteful.

DanceWithThePoets Mon 31-Oct-16 17:45:42

YANBU.

My Uncle did the same about 25 years ago. It was my 9yr old sister (who has a learning & physical disability) that discovered him. She'd ran ahead of us from the car as my Aunt's door was always open. We'd only just popped out to Asda for a half hour.

It's an image that stays with you forever.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 31-Oct-16 17:47:08

YANBU.

Completely distasteful.

Why people don't think before they do stuff, I have no idea.

WashingMatilda Mon 31-Oct-16 20:11:54

Ugh that's grim OP.

Magicpaintbrush Mon 31-Oct-16 20:36:43

That's horrible. Definitely a step too far, especially where kids can see it. YANBU.

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 31-Oct-16 20:38:05

Def Ott and not very child friendly either .. x

livingthegoodlife Mon 31-Oct-16 20:44:05

Completely distasteful. I would have a nasty shock if I saw that. Not necessary as there are plenty of other spooky decorations which are more make believe.

littlesallyracket Mon 31-Oct-16 20:55:01

I am a big horror fan and love ghoulish stuff, but even I wouldn't have hanging mannequins, particularly where passers-by could see them. It's Halloween, not the London Dungeon. I think there are probably a lot of people who would find it upsetting, many for the same reasons you did.

I once went past a house a couple of years ago on Halloween where someone had put a mannequin in an 'electric chair' outside, and I thought that was a bit off as well, to be honest.

9troubledwaters Mon 31-Oct-16 21:18:41

Well I asked her to take them down before we went out trick or treating & I've basically started ww3! She started crying FFS saying she'd spent ages on them confused
They are like bonfire guys but with scary masks & shes keeping them up till bonfire night!!

Maudlinmaud Mon 31-Oct-16 21:20:55

No. Thats offensive.

JellyBelli Mon 31-Oct-16 21:22:38

Crying? She sounds a delight. confused

NerrSnerr Mon 31-Oct-16 21:25:10

I'm another who has had a family member do this. It's utterly distasteful.

SparklesandBangs Mon 31-Oct-16 21:30:34

Wrong on so many levels, trick or treat is fun for small kiddies not horror.

I was worried when my random sound effects decided to play a chain saw

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 31-Oct-16 21:37:09

I would find that really distressing due to personal circumstances. Who in their right mind would think that's a good idea?

WashingMatilda Tue 01-Nov-16 12:51:02

Just thinking OP and this could actually be a public order offence too. Is it clearly visible from the street? Google section 5 of the public order act.

frauleinsallybowles Tue 01-Nov-16 12:55:17

In very bad taste if you ask me, why would anyone think this was a good idea is beyond me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now