Supermarket substitutions

(13 Posts)
Lighthouseturquoise Mon 31-Oct-16 13:08:50

I did an online shop and I ordered several branded items which were on offer.

Things like large Fairy sensitive powder for £8, Oral B dental floss £1, Oral B toothpaste £2, Fairy sensitive fabric conditioner £2.

Order came, dh took the delivery and they've substituted these items for smaller, supermarket brand items for the same price, so for example a supermarket brand smaller washing powder for £8. Supermarket brand toothpaste for £2.

Aibu to think this is a bit cheeky? I'm thinking if they haven't got the item they should swap for another brand and the same size not smaller.

Aibohphobia Mon 31-Oct-16 13:38:26

you don't have to accept them when they deliver the replacemtnts.

YABU

TheNaze73 Mon 31-Oct-16 14:29:54

YABU, just don't accept them

Lighthouseturquoise Mon 31-Oct-16 14:44:20

Unfortunately dh signed for it when I wasn't there.

GoldenBlue Mon 31-Oct-16 14:48:15

Phone up and reject. They may ask you to drop off the products but may not. Just state that when your dh signed he wasn't aware the subs were of smaller size / lower quality. Principle is subs should be equivalent or better

Lighthouseturquoise Mon 31-Oct-16 14:53:25

I've emailed politely and just said that dh signed for them but they're no good. I was under the impression that substitutes should be equivalent or better.

There were a few other things that were wrong but not on the substitutions list. Expensive sausages replaced with cheaper ones but charged the same and not on subs list.

I'm just a bit miffed they are usually really good.

I should have declined them but wasn't really expecting smaller, cheaper items for the same price.

Very boring aibu sorry!

CharminglyGawky Mon 31-Oct-16 14:55:46

If your DH signed for them then it really isn't the supermarkets fault. If they didn't have the branded items they had to substitute it with something as you didn't tell them not to (which is an option) it is up to whoever accepts the shopping to decide if they want the substitutes or not, your DH accepted them so that's that really.

If you only ordered them because they were on offer you could have marked them as 'no substitutes' or told your DH not to accept substitutes. The supermarket did everything they could.

I get that it's annoying, I once had a substitution on something that was part of a 3for£10 deal, the substitution itself was reasonable but it wasn't part of the deal so I lost my saving. I didn't want to turn them away at the door as together they were the main bit of 3 evening meals... It was annoying though.

CharminglyGawky Mon 31-Oct-16 14:56:38

Cross post!

The sausages are not on! I'd fight that one!

Charlesroi Mon 31-Oct-16 15:04:22

The supermarket hardly did all they could. OP has had cheap stuff substituted but is still being charged the premium price - absolutely not on. They tend not to quibble when people want to return things. If you checked everything before signing for it the delivery rate would halve(although they probably bank on people not being arsed to complain)

They do these great offers to get people to order but then don't honour the deals. It's dishonest.
Would you care to name the supermarket OP?

WankingMonkey Mon 31-Oct-16 15:09:37

When I had had DD..I ordered from asda. I ordered one of those huge boxes of pampers that was on special offer. Size 2. They ran out and sent me a 40 pack for the same price as the 100 pack, and in size 5.

A friend of mine had a pregnancy test substituted by a box of tampons grin

Some of the subs are insane. Usually they make sense, but not always. Its easy to refuse them. This error is your partners fault tbh...they make it very clear that stuff has been substituted and you can refuse it.

Lighthouseturquoise Mon 31-Oct-16 15:54:13

Thank you, it's Tesco, they're usually really really good. To be fair I can see it's my fault for not ticking no substitutes then for dh accepting them.

I'm just annoyed at ordering branded and getting unbranded but paying the same price! I'm not a brand snob but I wouldn't have paid x amount for Tesco brand, I always shop for offers on things I like. I'd have expected them to substitute with something equivalent or better.

The sausages and a couple of other things were mistakes which added to my annoyance.

To be fair they've emailed now and refunded plus a token voucher which is more than reasonable of them.

Lighthouseturquoise Mon 31-Oct-16 16:03:40

Wankingmonkey those substitutions are bonkers.

I read somewhere about a roast chicken being substituted for a fluffy toy chicken.

My substitutions were at least logical.

Happymumof3tob Mon 31-Oct-16 19:36:42

I like tesco. I once called them as i thought a bag of shopping was missing. They refunded me the money no wuestions asked. Then when i went out to put the rubbish the bag was there. But it was fridge food and had been in the sun. Entirely my fault for not checking outside. I called and apologised and explained and sai i need to pay them back for the refund and they said not to worry about it! Tesco are very good in my opinion. And the substituions arent too bad. Its all done by machine. So the substitions are decided and printed before picked so the picker doesnt know what the originals were.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now