Stomach bug/Trick or treaters

(22 Posts)
Soddingepiphany Mon 31-Oct-16 11:47:57

So I spent ages making up trick or treat bags with puzzles, sweets etc but my son and I have come down with a stomach bug (thank you germ infested soft play), my DP is thus far unaffected and will be the one handing out the bags but I'm worried he'll be handing out little bags of potential stomach bug!
I'm definitely a germaphobe so need some perspective; aibu to consider not giving them out?

Should also mention that the bags were made up before my son or I showed signs of being ill.

Soddingepiphany Mon 31-Oct-16 16:08:19

Anyone?

Idratherbeaunicorn Mon 31-Oct-16 16:12:13

If the sweets etc are wrapped then I wouldn't worry and I would hand them out. (Or DP if he is better)
Its very unlikely that any bugs / germs that might be on the bags / puzzles / sweets etc would live long enough to cause any harm to anyone.
If you're worried, I would just make sure that your DP uses some hand sanitiser or something, just to be on the safe side smile

ChicRock Mon 31-Oct-16 16:13:31

Hmmm, stomach bug germs live for up to 2 weeks on surfaces, etc.

Can you mist the bags with dettol spray or something?

crunched Mon 31-Oct-16 16:15:01

Did you wash your hands before you assembled the bags?

TBH I try to persuade my DC to show me their ' bounty' before they tuck in because they have been given unwrapped candy, slightly damp and covered in cat hair before now.

I wouldn't be panicked, but that may be just me hmm

baconandeggies Mon 31-Oct-16 16:18:47

Yes and no. The children should know to wash their hands before eating sweets; but if norovirus (for example) particles from soft play (or wherever you acquired it from originally) are on the outside of the packaging, then short of covering everything in bleach - or washing their hands in between unwrapping a sweet and putting it in their mouths - they'll probably get sick.

If in doubt leave it out.

Mummytojane Mon 31-Oct-16 16:21:26

I think it will be fine.

I'd be surprised if all your trick and treaters got sick because you have a bug and touched the bag TBH

baconandeggies Mon 31-Oct-16 16:21:52

I would thank you for doing anything you can to reduce the risk of spreading a nasty virus OP - no matter how small the chance. The treats aren't obligatory. The only thing that will kill viruses is bleach - antibacterial spray / dettol doesn't work - would you want a dettol-soaked party bag?!

Soddingepiphany Mon 31-Oct-16 16:22:35

Crunched, the bags were made up days before anyone got ill and all the sweets are sealed in a separate smaller bag inside a bigger bag, I will probably use an antibacterial wipe over the bags and get my dp to both wash his hands and use a sanitizer.

Would you guys be happy trick or treating here?

Eatthecake Mon 31-Oct-16 16:23:29

Very unlikely your going to cause an outbreak of your bug because you touched the bag.
DC pick germs up from everywhere, imagine how many they must pick up at school so I think they will survive your bags

baconandeggies Mon 31-Oct-16 16:24:10

No.

Eatthecake Mon 31-Oct-16 16:24:31

yes I would be happy to trick and treat at yours OP, but then I don't panic over germs/illness like some do

Soddingepiphany Mon 31-Oct-16 16:27:18

Just read the last few responses. I think I'll leave it for this year. I don't think I could do it and then not worry I'd made some poor children sick. Maybe I'm neurotic and the risk is minimal but not worth the risk to me.

ChicRock Mon 31-Oct-16 16:27:33

Me, yes.

A friend of mine who has a disabled immunocompromised child would not allow her other children to visit your house if she knew.

Sparklesilverglitter Mon 31-Oct-16 16:29:51

The chance of making all your trick and treaters sick is absolutely tiny, the amount of germ children pick up from school etc is crazy to the amount from a bag you touched.

Yes I would trick and treat at your house

ChicRock Mon 31-Oct-16 16:30:04

X post.

Send them my way, it'd be a shame for all those sweets to go to waste thlgrin

Soddingepiphany Mon 31-Oct-16 16:36:32

I was really bloody proud of my halloween bags too! sad First year doing it as we lived in a flat before.

DrWhooves Mon 31-Oct-16 16:46:27

I've had the same dilemma as DD was sick a couple of times last night and there's a chance I could be incubating it but DD hasn't been sick today and I feel fine so I think I'll chance it.

baconandeggies Mon 31-Oct-16 16:53:45

hasn't been sick today and I feel fine so I think I'll chance it.

Arggh! This ^ is the reason these things spread like wildfire!!

Sorry, personal bug (har har) bear..

user1466200877 Mon 31-Oct-16 17:14:47

Can't bear trick or treating. V scary for pensioners I imagine. Might be tempted to hand out bags op in the hope that the scary monsters get a taste of their own medicine,

mrsm12 Mon 31-Oct-16 18:20:49

I wouldnt hand them out but im biased as we are all recovering from a horrible vomiting bug, we skipped trick or treating as ds is only 24 hours clear

fuckmyfuckinghusband Mon 31-Oct-16 18:21:24

Lack of understanding about how bugs spread is the biggest cause of norovirus making its way into hospitals and daycares.

1. MOST stomach viruses are noroviruses.
2. Norovirus lives on hard surfaces for two weeks. That includes sweetie bags.
3. If a child unwraps a norovirus covered sweetie wrapper or bag, then puts the sweet in their mouth, they are going to get norovirus.
4. All this talk of "anti bacterial wipes/sprays" is pointless because norovirus is a VIRUS and will only be killed by anti viral spray and/or dettol/bleach/ vigorous hand washing with warm water and soap.
5. Norovirus spreads by fecal matter or vomit on people's hands which are used to prepare or eat food. It als spreads from the particles of poo or vomit that spray out and can cover a distance of up to 10ft. So it is feasible that your vomit particles could have touched the bannister from the bathroom and you think you have cleaned up and washed your hands a zillion times, but then touched the bannister on the way down the stairs and spread the virus all over again.

The short version is - don't risk it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now