To hide from neighbours now

(38 Posts)
winefixeswhine Mon 31-Oct-16 10:44:54

We're building a whopping shed, it's on the boundary but less than 2.5m tall so is all above board from a planning perspective. Neighbour has told hubby that he's 'going to look in to it' -planning I assume.
Aibu to feel REALLY cringey that they obviously are unhappy with the shed and hide indoors forever? 😣😣😣😣😣

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Mon 31-Oct-16 10:50:07

Hide in the shed not indoors, you might as well make use of it!

winefixeswhine Mon 31-Oct-16 10:55:48

😂😂😂 sound advice. It's so awkward 😬

user1477282676 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:56:09

Is it affecting their light?

SpookyPotato Mon 31-Oct-16 10:58:50

But if it's all above board then you have nothing to worry about! If they don't like it then thats their problem.

ItsJustNotRight Mon 31-Oct-16 11:03:49

No matter what I have done to my house my neighbour is there, watching, anxious, complaining. I originally left all contact to my DH but now I'm home most days I've had to bite the bullet and speak to her. She's old and in bad health so I've taken to a "kill with kindness" approach. Ask him round to look at your shed, be armed with the docs that show you don't need planning permission, talk to him as pleasantly as you can, ask him about his concerns, smile, tell him all the reasons why it is a good thing etc. Basically take the wind out of his sails by refusing to let it become an issue. Good luck, you may want to go in and scream afterwards but it is better than letting hostilities develop.

Bambooshoots14 Mon 31-Oct-16 11:03:52

We've got a playhouse that just the Apex of the roof pokes over next doors fence by about a foot and we checked if it was ok. It's one of those things that would really annoy me. Can't imagine if they erected a 2.5m shed along the boundary. I wouldn't be happy at all

winefixeswhine Mon 31-Oct-16 11:16:55

It's 2.1m tall at the highest point and it's tapered to make it as low as possible on their side. I dont think it will block any light.
It's very good quality and sensitively chosen to be a non-monstrosity. I think we have been pretty considerate. But I still feel mega cringey!

AlexaTwoAtT Mon 31-Oct-16 11:18:52

I'm not surprised your neighbours are unhappy. Why do you need such an obtrusive shed when you might have known the very idea of it would make your neighbours feel aggrieved? They probably will look into it.

I think you are right though when you suggest it will affect your relationship with them. I would hate that but then sheds are not my big thing.

Lemon12345 Mon 31-Oct-16 11:47:18

I don't see what a shed has anything to do with your NDN... I mean if it was a fence that was yours but the boundary to them I would inform them I was replacing/putting it up. But a shed, in your garden. Nah, nowt to do with them.
I'd try to act like nothing has happened, because nothing has happened to cause them offence. They are just being pricks. It's not their garden, and it's something people need to accept. It might be blocking sunlight or similar, but so what... so do trees and clouds.

Mozfan1 Mon 31-Oct-16 11:52:48

2.1m isn't high at all, especially if it is tapered, fgs.

Dorm worry op, people like that just have too much time on their hands grin

ItsJustNotRight Mon 31-Oct-16 19:09:30

I'm going to replace an old lean-to in the near future and add an extension in front of it. I'm dreading speaking to our neighbour about it already and I haven't even got the plans drawn up yet. It's going to be a nightmare.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 31-Oct-16 19:13:57

Why don't you just talk to them? Say you guessed from his reaction that they aren't keen, but legally you're not doing anything wrong. However in the interests of being a nice neighbour you'd like to soften it with trellis and planting if they're worried about their view?

usual Mon 31-Oct-16 19:24:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouTheCat Mon 31-Oct-16 19:32:15

Does she do that in your shed, Usual?

bloodymaria Mon 31-Oct-16 19:34:23

What? Why on earth would you feel 'cringey'? If it's above board, it's above board, stop being dramatic!

ToujeoQueen Mon 31-Oct-16 19:35:03

I like the response by usual thlgrin

Coughingchildren5 Mon 31-Oct-16 19:35:09

It's on the boundary? Is that the problem?

usual Mon 31-Oct-16 19:41:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

winefixeswhine Mon 31-Oct-16 19:55:06

It's right up to the boundary fence, yes. It's all above board- can be up to 2.5m high but only about 2. I guess it's just that they have built their excessively large house right up to the edges of their plot so their windows are only a bit away from the fence making the shed seem close. But the shed is sitting at the side of our house so if they weren't looking at the shed they would just be looking at our wall instead.

ratspeaker Mon 31-Oct-16 20:07:37

One of my sons is 2m tall...wonder if we need planning consent for him

winefixeswhine Mon 31-Oct-16 20:25:29

😂😂 depends how close he wants to stand to the fence!

Damselindestress Mon 31-Oct-16 20:31:27

That size shed wouldn't bother me at all. Don't hide, you haven't done anything wrong. Just have the paperwork to hand showing that you don't need planning permission if the neighbours want to see it and be polite but firm.

Mouikey Mon 31-Oct-16 20:35:16

The only thing that could have averted this was to drop round and let them know that you were going to build a shed with the dimensions and that you had confirmed with planning... not a discussion about what they think, is it ok etc, but a statement of fact.

As someone who has worked in planning for more years than i care to remember, most enforcement complaints are not necessary had a discussion happened before the build. This is mainly because neighbours fear change and dont know what you have planned next. Sadly this is often a waste of time for the officer and frustrating for all parties concerned.

winefixeswhine Tue 01-Nov-16 12:29:15

The building inspector came this morning. It needs a minor tweak (a bit extra £ and time on our part) but the view from next door will remain exactly the same. NDN has also mentioned our leasehold so I'm expecting him to report us to the leaseholder too, but I've checked the lease and it should be fine.
Hoping that it will not be a long standing reason for resentment.... 🎃

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now