DP is being unreasonable

(22 Posts)
KaosReigns Mon 31-Oct-16 06:14:51

DP told me to post here because he says I'm being completely unreasonable.

DD is finally taking a much needed nap, I am studying and he is cooking dinner all in an open plan living room.

Am I being unreasonable to ask him to rip the onion apart with his bare hands as every chop he makes on the glass chopping board is startling DD awake?

Tumtitum Mon 31-Oct-16 06:16:02

YABU can DD not sleep elsewhere? Or cook later?

Cucumber5 Mon 31-Oct-16 06:19:02

Rip an onion apart with bare hands?? Gosh no. Just exclude it from the dish of the noise is too much for DD

FenellaMaxwell Mon 31-Oct-16 06:21:28

Or he could just chew it and spit it straight into the food? YABU.

BouleBaker Mon 31-Oct-16 06:21:39

He needs to chop it quietly. Whether that be on another surface or inanother room.

FenellaMaxwell Mon 31-Oct-16 06:21:48

Why don't you just buy some Alaric or wooden chopping boards?

FenellaMaxwell Mon 31-Oct-16 06:22:12

Plastic - ffs autocorrect!

canyou Mon 31-Oct-16 06:24:06

Cut it in a tea towel and then later on but a new chopping board. Wood would be best.

PlumsGalore Mon 31-Oct-16 06:37:58

I hate glass chopping boards, slippy and noisy but you were still being unreasonable.

NicknameUsed Mon 31-Oct-16 06:43:23

He is being unreasonable to use a glass chopping board in the first place.
Glass is harder than metal and wrecks knives. It is slippery and not the safest material to use a knife on anyway. There is a reason why professional chefs never use glass as a chopping board. Buy a wooden or plastic one and use the glass one as a worktop saver to put hot pans on.

Glass has no place as a chopping board

I know this is meant to be lighthearted, so tell him to rip the onion apart with his hands grin

DesignedForLife Mon 31-Oct-16 06:43:29

YABU. Get a wood chopping board

Fairylea Mon 31-Oct-16 06:44:31

Put a tea towel down on top of the board and chop it on top of that.

WizzardHat Mon 31-Oct-16 06:49:31

Whoever bought the glass chopping board is unreasonable and should rip the onion apart with their hands as penance. Don't you have anything wood or plastic to use instead?

KaosReigns Mon 31-Oct-16 06:54:07

blush it was lighthearted (thank you Nickname). DPs opinion of mumsnet has not been improved, he expected everyone to agree with me.

Dinners ready now, so of course DD is awake and screaming suddenly.

And don't get me started on glass choping boards... although a plastic board will never enter my house. I use wood.

blueskyinmarch Mon 31-Oct-16 07:23:50

Wooden boards are only good for bread imo. Surely chopping onions etc on wood stains it and impregnates it with smells? I love my plastic boards and i can put them in the dishwasher so they are always proper clean.

Mindtrope Mon 31-Oct-16 07:36:01

Why no plastic chopping boards? I agree wood looks better, but very hard to clean. I have 4 or 5 plastic boards, as PP says chuck them in the dishwasher after using. I do have a couple of large wooden boards, but they tend to get used at the dinner table if we have guests.for serving and cutting cheese, a piece of roast meat, bread etc.

user1477282676 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:17:44

It's better to move the baby or even let her get used to noise. How old is she?

user1477282676 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:20:09

Plastic boards are much cleaner. We have colour coded professional ones...green for veg, red for raw red meat, yellow for poultry and so on.

Much nicer than germy wooden ones! We use our big wooden one for breads.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Mon 31-Oct-16 10:25:47

Actually that's not true - plastic ones are more hygienic right up to the moment you use them. As soon as they get a knife scratch in them they become less hygienic than wooden ones. The reason for this is that the natural oils in the wood help seal the cuts and keep it germ-free.

Helpful smile

user1477282676 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:29:47

Meh. The oils all end up washed/scraped off.

Mindtrope Mon 31-Oct-16 10:57:08

rebecca- I don't believe that.

The oils heal the cuts??

Wooden chopping boards need to be scrubbed with hot soapy water after each use. The oils in the wood won't last very long.

My plastic chopping boards go in the dishwasher, the water is close to boiling point. Much more hygienic than wood.
Professional kitchens use plastic chopping boards, if wood was cleaner I am sure they would use that, but they don't.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Mon 31-Oct-16 11:53:02

It's true - or even if it's not I'm not the only person who thinks it is ...

commonsensehome.com/wooden-cutting-boards/

www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/cutting-boards-and-bacteria

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now