abreviations ???

(144 Posts)
nannanoonoo Mon 31-Oct-16 01:08:18

OK, i'm not an old fuddy duddy, but what are all the abreviations people on here use ~?? I was looking for advice about a illness my grandaugher has at the moment and couldn't understand what the little initails MEAN? ie- WTF -GD DD OH MY ????? My granddaughter lives with us and she is 7 and a little angel come devil lol

UsernameHistory Mon 31-Oct-16 01:48:47

No idea about MEAN.

GD - grand daughter
DD - dear daughter
DS - dear son
OH - other half
DH - dear husband
DM - dear mum
WTF - with the family

For some reason people on Mumsnet feel the need to use 'dear' in front of family names.

PenelopeFlintstone Mon 31-Oct-16 01:52:10

I have always interpreted WTF differently....

Topseyt Mon 31-Oct-16 01:56:05

There is a list of the usual acronyms on the site.

WTF is What the Fuck?

nannanoonoo Mon 31-Oct-16 02:00:22

Oh !! Ok thank you, don't understand why they would use Dearest, there was a horrible movie called "mummy dearest" and my mum would never be called "Dearest"???

PerspicaciaTick Mon 31-Oct-16 02:00:26

www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms

Andylion Mon 31-Oct-16 02:01:45

www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms

PerspicaciaTick Mon 31-Oct-16 02:03:26

It isn't usually "Dearest", just "Dear".
I have no idea why.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 31-Oct-16 02:03:34

My DH is Darling Husband and DDs are Darling Daughters grin

Topseyt Mon 31-Oct-16 02:08:08

Still laughing at WTF meaning With the Family!!! gringringrin

nannanoonoo Mon 31-Oct-16 02:08:53

Sorry, as an oldun starting again with a grandchild, I wil try to use acronyms, but frankly I will also use plain old English, I hope you young mum's don't mind but I do have a few years experiance and will try to be a mum to all, is that ok ?xxx

HappyCamel Mon 31-Oct-16 02:11:53

Sounds great OP (opening poster).

paxillin Mon 31-Oct-16 02:12:01

I have actually heard WTF said out loud a few times. As in Double-yoo Tee- Eff, to avoid saying what the fuck.

rumpelstiltskin43 Mon 31-Oct-16 02:14:26

Sorry but we don't give kisses (xxx) and we really don't need to be Mothered, especially on AIBU, were not very sweet. If you're for real, Gransnet might fit you better.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 31-Oct-16 02:23:53

You do know that we are generally known for being a nest of life-enriching vipers?

All ages, parents, non-parents, men, women, goady fuckers and the occasional zombie. Love us for who we are and welcome brew.

nannanoonoo Mon 31-Oct-16 02:25:55

why would you be so negative ?? that's really not a nice thing so say or a good example to anyone??? is this the attitude you want your children to have? yes I am real and yes I am starting again with a child, you should be ashamed of yourself as sometimes I might be able to give you some good advice, did you grow up without any manners ?

PerspicaciaTick Mon 31-Oct-16 02:26:58

Just how old are you?

paxillin Mon 31-Oct-16 02:35:38

Many of us aren't young mums. Quite a few mnetters are neither young nor a mum. You'll find your people on here.

It's perhaps best not to be quite so patronising though. Nobody is here to set an example to anyone, there are no children on here, so no worries about their attitude and "did you grow up without any manners" is just weird.

Topseyt Mon 31-Oct-16 02:36:40

I am 50 and my children virtually grown up now, so I am not a young mum. grin

Not all of us use all of the acronyms. Some use none. Do what suits you and what you are comfortable with. Give xx if you like. I don't, but have seen it on here before.

ZacharyQuack Mon 31-Oct-16 02:37:51

WTF - Why The Face? - Phil Dunphy

BastardGoDarkly Mon 31-Oct-16 02:40:38

I'm not a young Mum. And I don't need mothering. Welcome though smile

Are you bringing up your granddaughter? That must be challenging.

nannanoonoo Mon 31-Oct-16 02:42:11

Oh googled AIbu, AM I BEING UNREASONABLE, Get a life !! selfish little you dont give a flying fart as always it's all about you and not the kids, yes im old. old enough to be probably your grandmother, but you know what its still hard and all you want to do is belittle people, well mumsnet is NOT!! what I was led to believe it is, ARE YOU BEING UNREASONABLE ? JUST LOOK AT YOUR COMMENTS! thats why I have a 7 year old grandchild who is finaly happy. will now delete my account, I only wanted to help and get help.

Topseyt Mon 31-Oct-16 02:45:02

By the way (BTW), the goady post above is one of the type you will learn to ignore on here rather than rise to the bait. wink

Other than those we are fairly welcoming, if you don't patronise. We sure aren't all young mums. We are all different ages and stages, a d plenty of posters may not be parents at all.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 31-Oct-16 02:46:22

My grandmother would be 110 years old if she was still alive.

You were the one who posted in AIBU. Nobody said you were unreasonable, they helpfully came along and told you some of the most common acronyms and posted links to the full list for you. I even gave you a cup of tea! But you didn't say thank you did you? And now you are shouting at us and accusing us of...well I'm not sure what but you are clearly very cross about it all.

paxillin Mon 31-Oct-16 02:52:01

Wow, been at the gin, nannanoonoo? You sound very rude and angry. Change name and start another thread "raising one's grandchild" if you want advice. Or go on the many threads asking for advice if you want to give it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now