To give DH chicken nuggets and chips for his tea?

(28 Posts)
RedStripeLass Sun 30-Oct-16 21:48:03

Backstory is he is working till very late tonight and I always have something tasty waiting for him when he gets in. However, he's having a colonoscopy on Tuesday and isn't alowed any fibre from today till after the procedure.
We are also really poor at the moment so I've just used what low fibre stuff we have which is dd's freezer food. He's asked what I've made him over the phone and made it clear he was pretty pissed off when I told him, especially as I made a big 'left over ' stew for myself and dd (which he can enjoy in all in fibrous goodness come Wednesday). Should I have made more of a effort or is he just being a bit childish. After all, if it's good enough for dd......

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 30-Oct-16 21:51:36

If he doesn't like it tell him to cook for himself.

ChuckGravestones Sun 30-Oct-16 21:51:50

What would he suggest with the food that is in the house?

RedStripeLass Sun 30-Oct-16 21:53:16

I should have bought butter today and I forgot. I could have done a cheese sarnie/toastie.

Smartleatherbag Sun 30-Oct-16 21:53:36

Fuck me is he your husband or your child? Ungrateful git.

HillaryFTW Sun 30-Oct-16 21:56:17

A cheese sandwich isn't any better than nuggets, is it?

NB, what you cooked was fine; this is a temporary issue and he can have the stew wed!

chloesays Sun 30-Oct-16 21:57:53

A child friendly dinner for a childish man thlgrin

xvxvxvxvxvxvxvxv Sun 30-Oct-16 21:58:57

DDS freezer food? If it's not good enough for him does he object to your daughter eating it?

RedStripeLass Sun 30-Oct-16 22:00:08

Exactly!! He's happy for dd to eat that crap but not himself .

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 30-Oct-16 22:02:11

I'd love chicken nuggets and chips, especially if it's a rarity and someone else is cooking it.

He can't really complain if the alternative was a cheese toastie, either.

Tell him he's welcome to cook for himself if he doesn't think you're up to par, but as you're not only providing food but cooking something seperately for him to ensure his food meets his current dietary requirements, he could be a little grateful.

Jellybean83 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:06:22

He's being an ungrateful div but I'd just tell him to heat himself up a little stew if he's not happy. The clean prep will clear out any traces of fibre.

RedStripeLass Sun 30-Oct-16 22:12:31

Haha, the bowel preparation solutions! Bring on the moviprep!

Liiinoo Sun 30-Oct-16 22:24:09

My DD would happily cast aside my normal (excellent) gourmet cooking for a plate of chicken nuggets and chips and if we could move back in time to the 1980s and serve it with garlic mayo he would be in heaven.

FluffyPineapple Sun 30-Oct-16 22:24:10

He wont be the first father to eat chicken nuggets and he wont be the last.

HicDraconis Sun 30-Oct-16 22:25:24

Don't feed him any of the stew if he's meant to be on a low residue diet prior to his colonoscopy. I've seen too many patients come through who thought that prep would clear it all out - and it doesn't, not always and not even with meticulous attention to the instructions. The last thing he wants is to be told it wasn't clean enough for a full examination and to come back with additional prep at a later date.

If he's that bothered he could always have rounds of cheese on toast - you don't need butter for that! He could even cook it himself :-)

neveradullmoment99 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:25:33

Totally ungrateful. I like chicken nuggets or dippers. Dont see what the problem is with them. He is behaving like an ass.

PerpendicularVincent Sun 30-Oct-16 22:27:46

He'll thank you for that low fibre meal when he's shitting the world out of his arse. I hate moviprep

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 30-Oct-16 22:29:48

It all depends on whether he likes chicken nuggets & chips or not really!

If he hates chicken nuggets then I can understand his reaction.

Personally, I think I would have asked him what he wanted from the limited choice available. Given the options he might have ended up choosing the same himself anyway! wink

LockedOutOfMN Sun 30-Oct-16 22:29:59

You're being perfectly reasonable, OP. Your husband is maybe a bit anxious about the colonoscopy and is letting it out by being ungrateful about his dinner.

When I was in my early twenties, my now ex had emergency surgery on his bowel and couldn't eat fibre. I went off to the supermarket with a vague leaflet from the hospital and ended up following some octogenarians around the shop as it worked out that everything that they bought, he could eat. Tell your husband he is lucky not to be on Rich Tea biscuits and seedless jam!

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Sun 30-Oct-16 22:30:40

Ha! I have an evil colonoscopy fairly soon. I hadn't clocked it was an excuse to eat chips <changes sainsbury's delivery for that week>.

charliethebear Sun 30-Oct-16 22:32:11

Sadly I think my bf would be over the moon if I fed him chicken nuggets and chips instead of my homemade cooking.
Tell him to suck it up, its not like your feeding him gruel.

user1472419718 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:44:55

Depends.

If he really doesn't like it, it would be good if you could find an alternative. What else do you have in the house?

BlackeyedSusan Sun 30-Oct-16 22:45:13

now I want chicken nuggets and chips.

ChuckGravestones Mon 31-Oct-16 09:36:28

I've never buttered a cheese toastie. Just bread and cheese with some pepper here.

Trifleorbust Mon 31-Oct-16 09:44:12

He knows how to make his own toastie, doesn't he?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now