to ask who was forced to re-register after Jeffreygate and are you happy about it?

(8 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 30-Oct-16 21:39:32

I was. I chose a new name pretty close to my old name wink but I know others haven't.

If anyone feels like pm'ing me their old name + their new name then I would be so grateful (as I just feel all at sea and don't recognise anyone). It would be nice to see some fellow oldsters about the place.

And if you had to start afresh, are you on this awful regime of enforced pages so you can no longer have 1000 posts on a page? Does it piss you off as much as it does me??

I've got a feeling that a lot of people just quietly disappeared after Jeffrey sad.

previously1474907171 Mon 31-Oct-16 01:52:25

I left and I had no intention of returning as it was the second time I had left but then I saw something I felt I needed to respond to.

I no longer care about having a personalised name and only changed it because of the confusion over the auto-generated user 123456 etc.

I hadn't even noticed how many posts per page there were but I did notice that I couldn't change my colour settings.

You wouldn't remember me, no-one really noticed I was here before.

AmeliaJack Mon 31-Oct-16 02:06:12

Come on Bibbity use some common sense.

You don't really expect that people will relinquish their new found privacy to a total stranger on the internet just because you gave a username close to the one a well known MNer used to have?

That would be idiotic and negate the benefit of registering.

SundialShadow Mon 31-Oct-16 02:22:09

What or when or how is Jeffreygate? Sometimes real life interferes with mumsnetting so I might have missed this ding-a-ling.

AmeliaJack Mon 31-Oct-16 02:36:20

Sun Jeffery was a hacker who managed to capture login details and passwords of (IIRC) about 3000 MNers and publish them on Twitter.

Lots of people had to deregister, and reset all their online passwords. It was a bit of a mess.

Bibbibty is being somewhat naive to imagine that just because she seems nice people will voluntarily connect their new names to the old hacked accounts.

Sparklingbrook Mon 31-Oct-16 06:43:31

I often wonder where all the people I recognise went. Whether after Jeff they left or have namechanged and are still here.

Jeffgate was really horrible. sad I namechanged for about a month afterwards.

InfiniteSheldon Mon 31-Oct-16 06:49:14

I name change fairly regularly now, partly because of Jeffrey but also because I've seen my comments printed in two newspapers and its driven home that this is not an anonymous forum. I am much more careful divulging personal info and name change so it's harder to track me sorry bibbitybobbityyhat

ParisGellar Mon 31-Oct-16 06:50:41

I de registered, and made a whole new email account just to re register. I was no one special before and certainly am not now, but I do enjoy the posting and receiving advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now