Lost shoes- school negligent

(6 Posts)
a7mints Sun 30-Oct-16 18:48:48

DD age 11 was at an after school club 4.15-5.15 run by the PE department. They get changed and leave their PE bag and uniform on the bench.The school pool is privately hired by a swim school from 5pm onwards.When she got back to the changing room her new £40 Clarks school shoes had disappeared.
This was several weeks ago, and teh shoes haven't turned up.Are the school liable for this loss since they don't provide secure storage and allow outsiders access to the pupils stuff in the changing rooms.
Many years ago I worked for a communityhealth trust who were successfully sued for not having secure pram storage at a health centre

Trifleorbust Sun 30-Oct-16 18:54:19

Doubtful, since she doesn't have to be there - you send her there knowing there is no secure storage.

a7mints Sun 30-Oct-16 19:07:08

Well I didn't know that the general public would have access to her belongings!
If it were a public swimming pool who provided no secure storage and things got stolen, they would be negligent.So what is the difference?

ninnypoo Sun 30-Oct-16 19:12:26

I'm pretty sure that if they have no secure storage then, like any other public place, they will have a sign somewhere saying items are left at owners risk?

a7mints Sun 30-Oct-16 19:17:30

I don't know.I mean how can a school changing room say items are left at owners risk when they have no option but to leave them there (in PE lessons)

Trifleorbust Sun 30-Oct-16 19:24:41

It's not PE, is it? It's an after school club. I assume they don't guarantee safe storage so - I would argue - it is your responsibility. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now