To watch breast reduction surgery?

(25 Posts)
Tliev Sat 29-Oct-16 15:52:47

My bra size is 32ff. I have always been self conscious of my boobs as not only are they massive, they're also saggy and ugly. I'm 5ft 10 and a size 10 however, up top I'm a size 14 and I look fat. I feel self conscious doing any kind of exercise as they just flop around everywhere. Bras in my size are ugly and frumpy and I get back pain from the weight of them as well as shoulder pain from the strain on my bra straps.
I hate them. I feel my entire body image would be completely different if they were reduced.

In the past I've had many comments from dickhead blokes about my "big boobs" and more recently, a friend posted a picture of the two of us on Facebook and her male friend posted a commented about "the fake pair" next to her ... meaning my boobs. They're that noticeable, he thought they were fake.

I've priced it up at £5500. DH says no chance, predominantly financial reasons but also because "he likes them". Well I don't, I hate them.

DH says we can't afford it yet we currently have £3k sat in our main account after mortgage and most bills have been paid and we get paid again in 3 weeks. Last month we had £1400 left over at the end of the month after paying all bills, mortgage, groceries, a weekend away, car MOT and festival tickets (£100) as well as takeaways, clothes, days out, nights out and other extras as well as running two cars.

We both work full time.

AIBU to think he is BU???

AIBU further for considering asking to have it on the NHS first?

Tliev Sat 29-Oct-16 15:54:24

The title should read WANT breast reduction surgery obviously

peppatax Sat 29-Oct-16 15:55:28

Do it. Best thing I ever did (DD aside of course)

19Hannah Sat 29-Oct-16 15:59:23

I'm on the waiting list, exactly the same reasons as you, with added social anxiety/self confidence to a rediculous level. Can't wait!

Tliev Sat 29-Oct-16 16:23:23

I also suffer from social anxiety and low self esteem, ridiculously so. We had a group photo taken at work yesterday and it got posted on Facebook. There I am, boobs down to my waist crouching over because I'm taller than everyone there and my boobs make me look fatter than everyone there too. It's horrendous 😪

19Hannah Sat 29-Oct-16 16:41:07

Know how you feel it's awful, and speaking to people about they just say don't be silly etc but it can be really affecting!.. Go to your docs, worst they can say is no.. I'm 34GG/H and been accepted for surgery now after 8 months of appointments, you have to really show it's affecting your life at every appointment and it's not a quick decision. Contact your local NHS commissioning group and ask for their criteria for surgery, they sent me an 11 page PDF and I meet all the criteria so worth a try! Prepared for the 'ripping the nhs off' comments, but I'm sure if they were in a position to save nearly £6k they would 🤔

Maidupmum Sat 29-Oct-16 16:43:32

Had mine done in the summer. Best thing I've ever done. Cost £4900 at a Spire hospital- I got a 10% discount for going to an information evening about it before I booked. Got a 0% interest credit card and it's costing £100 a month for the next x months.
It has changed my life!

PlayOnWurtz Sat 29-Oct-16 16:43:37

I'm a 32G and fully feel your pain. Dh supports me with wanting a reduction and I will be approaching my gp for NHS help once dh and I have finally finished our family. Mine, I'm convinced, cause my neck pain which cause my migraines.

Hysterectical Sat 29-Oct-16 16:46:55

I was a 36d and v v droopy. Now I'm a 34b and can buy bras and wear them without having to lift in and place boobs. It cost me about 5 grand and a week recovery

NicknameUsed Sat 29-Oct-16 16:47:26

"There I am, boobs down to my waist "

It sounds like you are wearing the wrong bra size then. I'm sure one of the bra interventionists will come along and advise you.

The correct size will support you and help take the strain off your shoulders. It will also make you look slimmer as you will be able to see your waist. And your boobs won't be down to your waist either.

Hysterectical Sat 29-Oct-16 16:49:12

Sorry I don't agree. I couldn't see my belly in the bath before. Now I have perky 34b which stand up on their own. What's not to like?

19Hannah Sat 29-Oct-16 16:49:32

Nicknameused- when you have rediculous boobs, you do not simply go and get measured and buy a perfectly fitted bra! If only hmm

shrieklesoda Sat 29-Oct-16 16:49:54

I had it done. Best thing ever. Be warned though, they do often grow back even if you don't put on weight. It happened to me and my sister. It was never mentioned to me by the surgeon (although I would still have had the surgery anyway) but my sister had hers done several years later and it was covered in detail in her consultation, the surgeon said it happened to most people.

panad317 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:50:16

I had a breast reduction on the NHS. Like you, it affected me a lot more than what people thought!
It's definitely worth seeing your GP first.

slanleat Sat 29-Oct-16 16:54:23

If you put aside 500 per month in a year you will have enough to pay for it.

At the end of the day - regardless of how much your husband loves them - you hate them and it is effecting every bit of your life.

It is your own decision to make about your own body.

JackShit Sat 29-Oct-16 16:57:42

Pre weight loss I was 30ff and they were quite small confused

Squtternutbosch Sat 29-Oct-16 17:01:36

19hannah erm...I do! It's perfectly possible and makes the world of difference.

I wear a 30h and have never had a problem with "boobs down to my waist", sagging, back pain, neck pain or anything else. I wear well fitted, supportive, underwired bras and soft cup bras at night.

Granted, it isn't as easy as for women with smaller breasts but it most certainly is possible- and very very important.

OP, if you want a reduction, go for it. NHS first, and if that's a bust (pardon the pun) just save up and do it, they're your breasts, not your husband's. He should support you if it will make you happy.

In the meantime, invest some money in good, supportive bras. 32ff is large but not unmanageably so and the right underwear may make all the difference.

Good luck whatever you decide to do smile

Littlereen Sat 29-Oct-16 17:01:42

I'm also a 32ff and people are always surprised when I say what size I am as mine really aren't that big. I would second checking you definitely are in the right sized bra, but if they are causing you that much discomfort then it's definitely something you should seriously consider.

Iloveswears Sat 29-Oct-16 17:07:21

nicknameused even if the op could get an amazing bra to make her boobs look smaller and more supportive of her back/shoulders- she's not going to wear it all the time? What about during sex? Or when she's wearing her pjs at home and wants to take her bra off to relax? I'm usually the first one to suggest counselling and self acceptance, instead of surgery, but huge boobs can affect your health and your self esteem. It's hard to overstate how damaging they can be to your body confidence.
Op, stand your ground and decide for yourself. This is not your dh's decision. You get a say in how your joint finances are spent and if you don't that's a whole other thread.

PlayOnWurtz Sat 29-Oct-16 17:13:55

Sometimes a good bra isn't enough. I bought some this week after doing bra intervention and switched from a sister size 38E. I feel more supported but out of a bra they are heavy and during pmt time the cysts in them swell putting me a further cup size larger, they become sore, hard, and even having water on them in the shower hurts. I'm lucky, mine are a good shape, and reasonably pert so it's not for aesthetics I want mine reducing, at this size they are just too big.

If I get pregnant again and they grow as much as they did in my last pregnancy I'll be hitting J or K territory. At that point I really will want them gone. More so than I do now.

For those who think it's small I can take a picture of my new bras...they're are anything but small in the cup.

I really sympathise with you op. Really do. Get to the gp as your first port of call.

Tliev Sat 29-Oct-16 17:22:12

I have thought about trying to lose weight and increasing exercise to see if it makes a difference but my bmi is 22 and I weigh 10st 10lbs. At 5ft 10lbs any further weight loss would be quite minimal. My target weight is 10st so only 10lbs difference, any lower than that and I'd be underweight.

I have done karate for years and I've given that up now as I'm just two self conscious. I remember when I first joined about 8 years ago, I turned up in joggers and a t-shirt and during the warm up (star jumps) I noticed a couple of the blokes sniggering. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed the instructor was avoiding looking at me and smirking - I then watched myself in the mirror and my boobs were flying around all over the place. I was mortified and made an excuse to stop. I carried on with the classes but whenever anything like this came up I felt awfully self conscious and went stiff with worry. I left that class eventually and started a new one a couple of years later. On a number of occasions I have caught the instructor gawping at my chest, he's made the odd remark about 'women's larger anatomy parts' and another bloke who I was partnered with became all flustered once and stopped our partner work to advise me that my suit jacket was coming open and I might want to adjust it. Mortified is not the word. So I've quit that class now too :-(

Jenny2014 Sat 29-Oct-16 17:28:04

I did 10 years ago and haven't looked back since. It was NHS surgery; my back pain was unbarable, the physio couldn't help and said it would come down to breast surgery or spinal surgery; under their recommendation the GP referred me. I went from a 32H to a 32D. It did mean I struggled to breast feed but has benefited me in every other way.

Tliev Sat 29-Oct-16 17:29:55

See people are saying g/h cup ... at an f cup I have no chance on NHS do I :-(

PlayOnWurtz Sat 29-Oct-16 17:36:14

They don't go by cup size, and at an F/FF you're not far off a G. They go by the impact on your life. Speak to your gp

walruswhiskers Sat 29-Oct-16 17:39:19

I got turned down by my pct trust. I have 30jjs. And they are ridiculous but I am starting to become more accepting of them - at 43 years old, some of my friends now have boobs that are killing them and mine may be unattractive and make me look matronly, but they are healthy.

I don't suffer with back pain anymore. The secret for me is exercise - if I can get a good bra that minimises bouncing, most can! Mine is a Freya. I can run but the best thing for me is anything that uncurls the shoulders and builds back strength so Pilates, planks, press ups.

You may still decide on surgery and if so, that's fine (and your husband is allowed to express concern about your health/this big op etc, but not about your breast size) but i wanted to say it isn't the only answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now