To get pissed off that DH leaves the keys in the door?

(55 Posts)
whatishistory Sat 29-Oct-16 13:28:10

When I'm not in the house and DH is, he locks the front door (ie from the inside) and leaves the keys in the lock. This means that when I get home I can't unlock the door and have to ring the door bell for him to come unlock it for me. Some times I have to wait a while as he's having a snooze and doesn't hear the bell. I know it's a small thing but it drives me mad! How hard it is to pull the keys out of the lock so I can get in? No matter how many times I complain, he still does it.

Dilligufdarling Sat 29-Oct-16 13:34:30

How strange!

What's the reason he gives for doing it?
If it's so he knows where the keys are then maybe a hook nearish (but out of reach of) the door might do the same job.

ChuckGravestones Sat 29-Oct-16 13:38:21

Mine used to do that. Until I did it to him a few times.

Note3 Sat 29-Oct-16 13:44:24

I'm same as chuck...DH doesn't do it anymore

Fluffsnuts Sat 29-Oct-16 14:06:26

My DH does it too. Fucking hacks me off. Particularly when I need the loo or it's raining. How hard is it to take the keys out the door!

NicknameUsed Sat 29-Oct-16 14:07:29

OH has memory problems and does this. I don't get mad at him though.

corythatwas Sat 29-Oct-16 14:28:27

Dh does the same. Which means dd has to stand outside ringing her brother when she comes home in the small hours of the morning after a party.

Creampastry Sat 29-Oct-16 15:30:38

So why doesn't he want you to see what he is doing.....??

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sat 29-Oct-16 16:20:15

Oh FGS it doesn't mean he is trying to hide something!

I do this all the time, as it's just force of habit to lock the door. I leave the key in because taking it out means a higher chance of losing it and not being able to open it at all!

When DS gets home and can't get his key in the door it is just as annoying for me, as I have to stop what I'm doing to answer it, so obviously it's in my own interests to remember to take it out, but I still forget.

Doesn't mean I'm up to no good!

JellyBelli Sat 29-Oct-16 16:23:31

Its a bad habit to leave keys in a mortice lock. all a burglar needs is a stick and some superglue, and they can get in.
Put a note on the door, and have aplace to leave keys. not where they can be seen or reached through the letterbox with a fishing rod either.

ImperialBlether Sat 29-Oct-16 16:28:25

How on earth would a stick and superglue help if keys are left in a mortice lock? Are you counting on the fact there'd be enough space under the door to slide a key through it, a la Enid Blyton books?

NavyandWhite Sat 29-Oct-16 16:29:52

Oh yes this drives me mad too. I send DH a text on my back to say " your god damn keys better not be in the door " wink

JoJoSM2 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:30:30

How annoying... My Dh suggest leaving a sticky note next to the lock to remind him ;)

Itrynotto Sat 29-Oct-16 16:31:06

Does he do this when you are home or just when you are out?

StarryIllusion Sat 29-Oct-16 16:31:54

I leave them in at night because it could buy me those crucial few seconds in case of fire but not in the day.

P1nkP0ppy Sat 29-Oct-16 16:32:10

DH used to do this until one night when I accidentally did the same and he spent a night in the car because I'd gone to bed and didn't hear him ☹️
Oddly he never did it again!

Euphemia Sat 29-Oct-16 16:32:28

I was waiting fir the "Don't leave your keys within 5m of the door because burgulars" post. thlgrin

ShatterResistant Sat 29-Oct-16 16:33:58

A stick and some superglue? Can you elaborate?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 29-Oct-16 16:34:05

My Dad used to do this but then there wasn't anyone coming in late at night - he'd only do it once we were all in/had left home.

But now he's older and there's a risk he might need help, he takes the keys out of the lock so my sister can get in should she need to (I'm too far away to be of use in an emergency).

It's not hard to remember - Dad's in his 80s and has broken the habit of a lifetime to remember - so your DH is being a thoughtless dick.

NavyandWhite Sat 29-Oct-16 16:38:44

Madness leaving them in the door at night. Three neighbours were broken in that way and two had their cars pinched.

previously1474907171 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:48:17

Stick and superglue - glue on stick, stick through letterbox, attach to keys, wait until glue sets, remove keys, open door, burgle house.

Or bendy fishing rod with a hook to remove any keys in sight.

whatishistory Sat 29-Oct-16 17:14:56

Glad I'm not alone smile He does it when I'm in the house, too. He just seems to forget. If I'm in and see the keys in the lock, I take them out. We have a 'designated key location', so there's no good reason for leaving them in the door.

Tarla Sat 29-Oct-16 18:00:28

DH used to do this then one afternoon our 2yo managed to unlock the door and escape while DH was in the loo.

Keys go up a height now.

BillSykesDog Sat 29-Oct-16 18:11:20

I do this. blush I'm in and out putting out washing etc so it's just easier than getting them from somewhere else every time. DH has started texting me when he leaves work to tell me to take them out. Which does work but is probably a pain in the arse for him.

harderandharder2breathe Sat 29-Oct-16 18:47:04

Only time I ever did this was when I lived alone in a tiny flat as no one else needed to get in and it meant I knew where they were (door was flimsy so a burglar could've just broken it down) it was to my flat, not the building!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now