To ask for tips about how to stop babbling?

(4 Posts)
RandomMcRandomface Sat 29-Oct-16 09:45:01

Not a TAAT, but inspired by one.

I babble far too much, especially when nervous, and when with people I don't know well am constantly regretting things I have said simply to fill the silence. I often feel like a bit of a dick - esp when socially insecure - and wish that my mouth and brain were better connected.

I envy people with quiet dignity!

Are there any reformed babblers out there? If so, what are your tips to stop blabbering on and on?

LifeIsGhoulish Sat 29-Oct-16 10:26:09

I say to myself "It's OK, silence is OK, I don't need to fill a silence." Sometimes I have to repeat it over and over in my head, focussing so hard on it that I occasionally miss the moment when the conversation begins again. But it does get easier with practice.

LifeIsGhoulish Sat 29-Oct-16 10:28:17

What I mean is a that I recognise that I'm under stress at that moment, and the cause of the stress. I don't brush it off.

RandomMcRandomface Sat 29-Oct-16 10:30:01

I like that life - silence is OK. One person I spoke to also looked at a clock and would challenge themselves not to talk for 10 minutes unless directly addressed which is another idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now