to ask if anyone ventured into a new career at 40?

(39 Posts)
FionaGatwick Fri 28-Oct-16 22:42:51

How was it?

I'll be almost 40 when I start my new career.

It makes me feel sad and terrified.

Euphemia Fri 28-Oct-16 22:45:08

Yes - primary teaching. I'm 50 now and I love it!

I don't teach in England, thank fuck.

Wrinklytights Fri 28-Oct-16 22:45:44

Not there yet, but why do you feel sad and terrified? You will have 25-30 working years left so perfect tly reasonable to make a change flowers

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 28-Oct-16 22:47:10

Motherhood

rumpelstiltskin43 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:48:25

Yes - Secondary teaching. Absolutely love it. 15 years into now.

I don't teach in England, thank fuck

Penguin0fMadagascar Fri 28-Oct-16 22:48:31

I can't really answer the question as I haven't actually started yet, but I'm 41 and just beginning a nursing course after a first career and a long break with the kids - so I will be 43 by the time I get going.

I don't feel scared, more excited at the thought of a new opportunity. The only thing that worries me is whether I'll regret not having more time to progress - equally, though, I'm glad that I may not need to worry about a career progression but just enjoy the job.

Best of luck with your new endeavour smile

fc301 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:48:42

Started a new business in a new industry at 44.
Don't be terrified- you'll be amazed how many of your skills are transferable. Good luck x

sooperdooper Fri 28-Oct-16 22:48:52

Not me but my mum retrained as a teacher when she was 40 and loved it smile

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 28-Oct-16 22:55:06

My mum qualified as a teacher at 40.

Knockmesideways Fri 28-Oct-16 22:55:08

I started a business - not sure if that counts - this year and I'm 53.

Notwavingimdrowning Fri 28-Oct-16 22:55:42

I'm in my 3rd ( and final ) year as a student nurse at the age of 46. I am terrified and excited in equal measure but know that it is the best thing I have ever done. Just go for it and I wish you good luck smile

Libitina Fri 28-Oct-16 22:56:34

I qualified as a nurse at 39. Good luck with your new career!

DramaAlpaca Fri 28-Oct-16 22:59:38

I did a few years ago at 45. I don't want to say what I do because I don't talk about work on here, but I've finally found something I love doing.

jamdonut Fri 28-Oct-16 23:12:40

I was 42 when I started training to be a Teaching Assistant. Before that, I had a reasonable career in the NHS as a clerical officer. We moved, as a family,to where housing was affordable, but I couldn't seem to get another NHS job, despite my experience. My children's school were pushing for volunteers,then TA courses were being offered, and I took the plunge. Wish I had done it before!.

JadziaSnax Fri 28-Oct-16 23:13:26

I started uni at 41 studying computing and I have managed to get an industrial placement at a large tech firm. I'm in the middle of retraining and am simultaneously loving it and worried if it will work out (I have form for worrying needlessly).

I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 years of uni and I'm having fun as a middle aged intern. Even if I don't get a tech job out of this, I still have my previous experience to fall back on and I've had a great experience. I'll be 45 when I graduate and competing with 21 year olds for jobs.

Being nervous is totally understandable. I'm concerned about employment after uni but I know I'm doing the right thing for me.

Good luck and I wish you all the best in your new career. flowers

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 28-Oct-16 23:16:19

My friend went into a nursing degree and I'm doing a degree and hope to teach also not in England by which time I'll be 41.
My friend from schools mum completed a law degree at 40 too.
Go for it. Plenty years ahead to work you'll regret it if you don't.

MyPeriodFeatures Fri 28-Oct-16 23:21:42

Following!

I am thinking or retraining - 40 next year. Converting my degree and post grad and going for law..it's bloody expensive though

KittyAlPick Fri 28-Oct-16 23:31:44

Started again at. 50. Not expecting to ever be the MD but it's going fine.

TheABC Fri 28-Oct-16 23:47:37

You are in good company. I believe The Prophet Mohammed started to get angelic visitations at the age of 40 and went on to be a leader, visionary and founder of Islam.

On a much smaller note, I have just set up a business at the age of 35.

Yambabe Fri 28-Oct-16 23:57:43

Kind of, it wasn't exactly a new career but I jacked my FT office manager job in to become a self-employed book-keeper at 40.

Never regretted it, I have a small but loyal client base and I love being my own boss and setting my own hours.

blueshoes Sat 29-Oct-16 00:46:35

I switched gears into in-house compliance when I was 41. I started almost at the bottom but up-skilled pretty quickly. 7 years and 3 jobs later, I could walk in to any firm in my sector. Totally beats what I was doing before.

IMissGrannyW Sat 29-Oct-16 00:49:40

Yes, me.

Best thing I ever did. I've never been happier or more fulfilled by work.

Doubleaxel Sat 29-Oct-16 01:07:12

Nursing at age 40. Life experience makes you a student with more focus and drive, and a more effective employee in many respects.

annandale Sat 29-Oct-16 01:14:23

Started to retrain at 38, graduated at 42, am now 47. By the time I retire I'll still have had 25 years of working life in this career, I think that's pretty good.

Always remember you'll be 50 or whatever anyway - you might as well be 50 and doing something you actually want to do.

Molly333 Sat 29-Oct-16 01:15:42

Yes at 47 total adventure x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now